2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

DIY: 09 Honda Accord's Horn Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Call College Hills... I would be surprised if they would not send you the clips for free.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Here is a way to avoid removing the plastic housing surrounding the hood latch. This will save you from damaging those little black clips everyone is talking about.

Just unclip the bottom part of the plastic housing. I have highlighted the area to unclip.
Name:  L1060181-1.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  101.5 KB

With that unclipped you are able to access the bolt holding the horn in place with an open faced wrench.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:00 AM
accord horn swap, added condensor screen

I did the horn swap, and if I had figured the plastic clips out sooner, it was really pretty easy...way worth while. While i had things opened up I was horrified to fine twenty one big assed grasshoppers stuck in the AC condenser. I got some small needle nose plier and careful removed each. Under each one was a place where the fins were dented in. Its easy to understand how a 60 MPH stone could puncture that weak assed radiator. I made a shield from some quarter inch square plastic garden fence mesh. Its black plastic and came from HomeDepot . I needed a piece about 6x30 and bought a roll of 15x1 yards!!! Only 13$ so not a killer. I will do a better job the fall when I have more time, so just a quickie ziptie job while the hopper infestation is in place. Ill have to check how hot the fog lights might get, but I might make some fitted stone shields from the same mesh to keep the lens intact.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Another satisfied customer... HONK HONK, OUTTA MY WAY!!!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
It is not going to move a Semi but maybe some soccer mom yakking on her cell.

I did mine this morning and also replaced the white ties on my condensor guard with black ones.

Be very gentle prying off the clips and they can be reused -). I forgot to tell College Hills it was going on a FIT hence no clips eh.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Did mine today.
Wife thought the original horn sounded cute but she likes the new sound too...Phew!

Used Retrofit's technique which saves the two black clips.
Now I have a set of clips unused.

Paul

Old 08-29-2009, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
I found the other horn today. The one that beeps when locking car. It is under the driver side headlight. Geez maybe we could switch that one to the Meep Meep.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
What do you mean? I always thought both stock horns were identical (meep meep!)

Originally Posted by Black3sr
I found the other horn today. The one that beeps when locking car. It is under the driver side headlight. Geez maybe we could switch that one to the Meep Meep.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justintime
What do you mean? I always thought both stock horns were identical (meep meep!)
Oh! Well never been outside to hear the Meep Meep of the one activated by horn button. I just thought it would have been louder than the one activated by key fob. Am I wrong? If so won't be the first time.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Well I am not sure now. They did sound the same to me... in fact I was surprised once I did the mod, to find that the alarm still meep meep'd!

But maybe as you say the honk horn is louder than the alarm horn? It would make sense, otherwise why on earth has Honda put 2 horns?!

Oh! Well never been outside to hear the Meep Meep of the one activated by horn button. I just thought it would have been louder than the one activated by key fob. Am I wrong? If so won't be the first time.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:05 AM
This shows different part numbers for the two horns:

My Honda Parts Store - Genuine Honda Parts at Wholesale Prices

The Fit's meep-meep horn costs about two and a half times the Accord's honk-honk. Looks like we're replacing some valuable hardware. Maybe some serious engineering research and development went into producing the sound we're discarding. So, is this really a "horn downgrade"?

Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
Maybe we can sell them to Accord owners?

Well up here in Canada my dealer wanted $39 for the Accord horn. I can't use UPS to cross border as they screw you really bad in handling fees through Customs. Most of the USA dealers either do not ship outside of country or do not use USPS. I have stuff sent to frined and they re-mail to me. My horn cost around $25 with all the shipping/postage.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Do the GE's have a different horn than the GD's? It doesn't feel like my horn is that week on my GD.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe we can sell them to Accord owners?

Well up here in Canada my dealer wanted $39 for the Accord horn. I can't use UPS to cross border as they screw you really bad in handling fees through Customs. Most of the USA dealers either do not ship outside of country or do not use USPS. I have stuff sent to frined and they re-mail to me. My horn cost around $25 with all the shipping/postage.
Strange.......... I was told that the Fit SPort model up here in Canada comes with two horns, but the base and LX doesn't. As for the 09 Accord horns (there's two of them), one is the high and the other the low. The high one is very cheap. I was quoted 13 bucks (I get everything at wholesale cost) with a retail of 17.00. The low one is in the 50+ range. Is the one from College Hills the high horn? No part numbers from what I could see.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
lalala im at the dealer getting my car checked out and i just brought it haahha. $18.50 after tax

Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vinn
lalala im at the dealer getting my car checked out and i just brought it haahha. $18.50 after tax
Wow, you paid way too much. 13 dollars Canadian is like close to 10 bucks USD.

lalalalalaaaaaa............... haahha.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
yeah but shipping and stuff i can care less

Old 08-31-2009, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced my Fit horn w/ the Accord low horn. Yesterday I heard a new Accord honk and it didn't sound the same as the low horn i placed in my car. Is that because I need the Accord High note horn as well??

Old 08-31-2009, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gs3boynyc
I replaced my Fit horn w/ the Accord low horn. Yesterday I heard a new Accord honk and it didn't sound the same as the low horn i placed in my car. Is that because I need the Accord High note horn as well??
According (pun intended) to my dealer, yes, both are needed to give you the full sound experience. Having said that, anything is better than the meep meep, roadrunner sound of the Fit horn.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Accord one has a high and a low pitch horn. So just install a low pitch one will do?

Quick Reply: DIY: 09 Honda Accord's Horn Upgrade