2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Amp and Sub(s) wiring Question to stock HU.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Amp and Sub(s) wiring Question to stock HU.

ok... so I've got laying around the following:

(1) Kenwood 2/3/4 channel amp (140Wx2/50Wx2 & 140Wx1/50Wx4)
(2) Infinity Kappa 100.1se 10" Free-Air Subs
(1) .5 Farad Capacator
(1) Infinity Kappa 255A 5 Channel amp
(1Pair) Infinity Kappa 6.5" component speakers (never used)

All I'll need to pick up to do most anything is an Amp. Wiring Kit and some speaker wire (also some carpeting for any Fabrication I do - I've got $20 or $40 credit from Crutchfield that I plan on using for the wiring kit and accessories) The rest of my money goes to diapers.

For My Previous stereo in my Integra GS-R, I "fabbed" a raised trunk floor and the two subs and 4 sets of components hooked up to the kappa Amp driven off of a Clarion Head Unit. (visible in the Cardomain Link in my sig Pic) I never got it carpeted and it wasn't all that pretty but it worked and no one knew I had 2 10" subs, let alone any stereo equipment... even with the trunk open.

I'm not going to that level of work and won't be replacing the Head unit as at this point, I'm satisfied with the quality of audio that comes out and the USB capability. I just want to add a little more Bass with the stuff I have laying around and don't have much to spend. (see the diaper reference above and feel free to extrapolate from there.)

Here's my thought... I can Fab a rear hatch cover out of MDF that I have lying around, add the kenwood Amp underneath that cover, then put the two Kappa subs in (one on either side of the amp). This would provide a certain level of security to anything in the trunk that I want to store and give me a little extra "bump" in bass that the stock head unit is missing. It would also easily be removable.

The Kenwood amp is the one I'd want to use as it is physically smaller and also lighter and has the speaker level inputs that I'd need. The Two Kappa Subs are rated at 250W RMS but the instructions say that in Free-Air Configuration, to drop that to half so you don't have over excursion of the woofer. the amp puts out 140w when using it in 2-channel Mode so it seems to be a good match.

On to the questions.
The instructions for the Kenwood say that "the Genunine-accessory car stereo shall have a maximum power output of no more than 25W" which concerns me a little. The Fit sport has a 160W stereo so that's a bit more than 25W and is of concern. I had planned splitting off of the rear door speakers and running into the amp but... now I'm wondering if it is going to be too much power going into the speaker level inputs or if the fact that I'm splitting off the rear speakers will make that a non-issue/less of an issue. Also, will tapping into the rear speakers do anything to the audio quality?

Kenwood Amp Manual: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/...ls/KAC648s.pdf
Infinity Kappa Subs Amp Manual: Online User Manual and Guide for Infinity KAPPA 100.1DVC Car Speaker by FixYa, Page #1

~SB

Old 10-19-2009, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
yeah im not no stereo guru or nothing but im sure that kenwood is talking about rms. and the honda geniune is just talking peak output.

i have ran a 4 channel amp to my stock speakers and they hold up fine. i upgrade because i got a killer deal on a set of components and coaxials for the rear.

dont forget to buy a line output converter for your stuff.
i tapped my rear speakers for the converter and i have no problems.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
yeah im not no stereo guru or nothing but im sure that kenwood is talking about rms. and the honda geniune is just talking peak output.

i have ran a 4 channel amp to my stock speakers and they hold up fine. i upgrade because i got a killer deal on a set of components and coaxials for the rear.

dont forget to buy a line output converter for your stuff.
i tapped my rear speakers for the converter and i have no problems.
In theory, I shouldn't need a LOC because the Amp has speaker level inputs. I should only need one if the speaker level input get overdriven.

Does anyone know the RMS of the Stock system?

~SB