2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

H-Fit SSAS and Razo RA120 Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 AM
H-Fit SSAS and Razo RA120 Review

So my new shift kit came in and I was able to install and try it out today. It was after dark when I finished so I'll have to get a pic of the final product (sorry no installation pics ) to post up tomorrow. Anyways, here are my initial impressions:

H-Fit Short Shift Adapter System:
Installation - 4/5
On a 2010, there were some slight variations from the instructions that came in the package. Specifically, if you just pull out on the front lower parts of the center console, you'll probably break something. The little clips have a small flat-head screw that comes out quite easily though. Also, there is only one screw holding down the rear of the center console, and it's under a little pad in the aft-most storage cubby. There is a little pop-connector holding down the center of the console a couple inches in front of the opening created when removing the parking brake cover, but there aren't any wires to worry about (at least on a 2010 Sport w/o Nav). Removal/installation of the center console is easiest with the shifter in 2nd or 4th gear.

Once the center console was off, getting the spring clip off of shift cable B was much more difficult than advertised, and they don't really show the optimal angle for prying it off with a screwdriver (I ended up getting this off with my pliers instead). Turning shift cable A also proved to be much more difficult than expected; I ended up using a well-placed flat-head and a few light taps from a rubber mallet to get the thing to move. The little cotter pin that holds the end of shift cable A in place popped right off easily while retaining it's factory shape, so bending it completely straight with the pliers didn't seem necessary at all (a little crimp on re-installation to ensure a tight fit is probably a good idea though). Getting the OEM plastic ball cup off of the end of the shift rod proved to be quite a chore (hoping I didn't stretch it out too much; it seems to wiggle a little on the H-Fit unit now - perhaps including a replacement in future kit revisions would be a good idea). There are two clips holding a wire bundle to the shift assembly that must be removed, but that's pretty obvious once you're in there.

One tip that will hopefully save some time (and searching around for tiny wire parts) during re-assembly: re-install the shifter cup retention clip before inserting the shift ball cup. It will snap right into place with the retention clip there

Fitment - 4/5
My short shift adapter dropped right onto the OEM rod, and even several smacks with the rubber mallet didn't set it in place. I had to hold the adapter onto the shift rod as tightly as possible while tightening the setscrews (which contacted the shaft ~1mm above the beginning of the taper that goes down to the ball - a little more clearance here would be nice). The hard mounts clicked right into place, and I was glad they weren't loose because that would have made re-installation a huge pain. Checking the clearance before re-installation of the center console revealed a very tight tolerance between the bottom of the shifter cup and the body panel under there; props for getting this so close without any bumping issues.

Driveability - 5/5
Once the system was installed, it was quite easy to hop in and run through the gear pattern a few times, then go for a test drive. While the change to shift feel is rather significant, if you're reasonably familiar with your vehicle you should just be able to install your kit and go.

Overall - 5/5
The throw reduction is noticeable (~21% so I've read) and much more solid thanks to the hard mounts. For a price of $75 shipped and a couple hours of work (it was getting dark and I was being extremely careful), I am quite pleased with this purchase and would definitely buy again.

Razo RA120:
Installation - 5/5
Very simple. Choose whether or not to use a spacer, select the right diameter insert to correspond with your shift rod, screw them into the knob and screw the knob onto the top of your shift rod. Just be careful not to over-tighten during either step.

Fitment - 5/5
I decided to use the spacer because I was hoping to get my shifter to sit a little bit higher than stock so I could reach while using the armrest. (Unfortunately this didn't work out, but I realized that it's not a matter of raising the shifter; the ergonomics of the armrest are horrible. If only it were 2 inches lower and 2-3 inches further to the right...pretty sure I saw a replacement center console somewhere with an armrest built in that would work perfectly...JDM?) I can't really comment on the non-spacer configuration, but with the spacer the knob screwed tightly right down to the OEM shift boot and definitely looks like it belongs there.

Driveability - 5/5
At 375g, this knob weighs more than 3 times as much as the stock shift knob. The additional weight alone results in more positive shift feel, but since I favor the 'pistol-grip' style of shifting versus the 'top-grasp' style, it makes the feel even better. I was able to hop right in and go for a drive with no issues; your mileage may vary.

Overall - 5/5
I enjoy the look, style, and weight of this knob. It's much heavier than the stock knob, and slightly elongated which is more ergonomic to me than a sphere or oval shape. It's rather plain-looking, in a metallic gunmetal finish with nothing more than a RAZO emblem stamped into one side, but this fits my style pretty well. One other thing I like is that there's no shift pattern stamped/printed on top; the way I see it is that if you're looking for an aftermarket shift knob, you've pretty well got the shift pattern down At $38 shipped, it was $12-15 cheaper than the other ones I was looking at as well.

Final Impressions
While I was researching replacement shift knobs, I came across a manufacturer who makes aftermarket knobs specifically targeting the Honda S2000. On this website, the shifting of the S2000 was described as "Snick, snick..." Am I shifting an S2000? Hell no, but it's now got that snook, snook feel and sound to it, and I am quite pleased
I realize that knobs themselves are quite personal with regard to feel, style, and look, but I can highly recommend grabbing the H-Fit SSAS along with a nice weighted shift knob of your choice. We may not be driving amazingly powerful sports cars, but they are still a blast to drive, and a shift kit like this just makes all that much sweeter

Last edited by Octrain; 04-08-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Awesome write up thanks!!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
no pics of it installed?

Old 11-28-2010, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
yea pics please i need a new knob