2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Replacing the factory Nav with an aftermarket Nav?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 AM
alz
Replacing the factory Nav with an aftermarket Nav?

The factory one in my 2009 Fit Sport is driving me nuts. The wonky joystick to scroll around (instead of touch screen) and some weird backwards menu choices are prompting me to look into better systems.

Have others here swapped out systems?

I'm guessing since it's wired for a Nav system, there shouldn't be any major gut work needed.

For example, should the AVIC920 slip right in and hook into all existing wiring? (Pioneer AVIC-X920BT (avicx920bt) - Car Stereo In-Dash Receiver at Sonic Electronix - Sonic Electronix

Or, since this page above mentions a steering wheel remote accessory that my current steering wheel setup is incompatible?

I have yet to find a good review site on for Nav systems. Can anyone recommend one?

Are the higher end systems like the AVIC920 noticeably better in their raw functionality than the less-expensive ones (like: Honda Fit 2008-2009 DVD Player+GPS Navigation+7 HD Digital TFT+Analog TV+Bluetooth+Steering wheel Control+Radio+Ipod+AUX in+USB/SD+Dual Zone+2GB SD Card+GPS Map Preinstall [ELDG12H688G] - $312.00 : Wholesale - China Car Accessories Wholesale - Buy Au) ?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
are you going to sell you stock nav? might be interested if you upgrade haha. good luck on finding what you are looking for though.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm in conversation with someone at this site about the above item. Do anyone here knows if I can trust this site? I'm not very confident in making bank transfer (there is no other payment method).

Thank you for any help.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd go the ebay route so you are protected by Paypal...just my two cents.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Yes... I'm afraid of making this transfer without knowing anyone who had bought at this site.
The problem with ebay is the higher price. And i need to add 70% of custom tax here.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't get what your issue with the nav really is, it has touch screen also...

Old 05-23-2010, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fareastgq
I don't get what your issue with the nav really is, it has touch screen also...
I haven't even gotten my Fit yet ('10 SSM w/Navi in two weeks, I hope).

But there are some "issues" with the Navi that I have.

1) This shouldn't be an issue, but it is. No integrated Bluetooth. The 2nd Gen Insight has a model of the Navi with integrated Bluetooth (but it uses separate buttons for bluetooth vs voice controls).

2) No "3d" maps. Right now, I'm using a Garmin and it provides 3d maps. Well, it's not full 3d, just looking at the map at an angle, which lets me get a better idea of what I'm looking at.

The reason why #1 "shouldn't" be an issue, because in reality, the only hands-free I use are headsets. Even though I paired my phone through my Garmin, I don't use it. But now that I've thought about it, it was mostly because I listen to my iPod a lot and it's a bit of a chore switching the Alpine to radio to pick up the FM broadcast from the Garmin or even simply letting the Garmin output the sound on its own and muting the Alpine. Maybe, I might like integrated bluetooth if it auto-mute the music. I haven't tested one out.

Aside from those two, another "issue" is just the interface... it's FUGLY!

In any case, since I haven't even gotten the car, and I'm gonna be running low on $$$ while paying for it... I probably won't be able to replace the stock navi any time soon.