2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

DIY: Focal 165V1 installed using factory mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 PM
DIY: Focal 165V1 installed using factory mounts

This is my first DIY so any feedback is appreciated!

1. Remove the screw by the handle

2. Pry the cover off to reveal the 2nd screw

3. Unclip the power window harness

4. *NO PICTURE OF THE DOOR PANEL* pry off the door panel then lift it up and out but be VERY careful because the door handle is still connected. Unclip the 2 door handle mechanisms

5. the speaker is only held on by one Phillips screw. once unscrewed, lift it up and out then unplug the speaker wire harness

NOW THE FUN PART!

6. Break off the plastic bits

7. rip out the "magnet"

8. Rip out the connector

9. Rip out the speaker!

10. This is what you should be left with after all the breaking and ripping

11. Time to do some more breaking and ripping! break off the inner layer

12. Once you're finished you should have something like this *note that i left the bottom piece (got lazy and it seemed like it was going to be a pain to deal with)

13. Now time to saw off this area so you speaker can sit flat

14. Now that you're finished, it looks like this!

15. You can now install your speaker (I suggest pre-drilling holes first, made my life easier.

16. Now the final step before reinstalling everything back. Use a box cutter to take off that plastic that is on the door panel so it doesn't get in the way of the speaker.

Installing the tweeter was simple, I just drilled a 45mm hole into the panel. I just used the location that had a circle with a cross in it.

You'll notice the tweeter sticks out a bit, I could've moved it up for a cleaner install but this area was best so the tweeter pointed to me slighly.

Over all this was an easy install. Hope this helps someone else out there.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
awesome! how do the Focals sound? i was VERY close to getting the Polyglass also but i went with Hertz HSK 165.4s in the end

Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
awesome! how do the Focals sound? i was VERY close to getting the Polyglass also but i went with Hertz HSK 165.4s in the end
Pretty good for the money. changing the head unit, the sound was already better, but after the focals went in...a MUCH better improvement.

Bass was pretty good too. I don't have any idea what the other guys on the forum are talking about when they say the focals don't have that much bass. This is mid bass we're talking about, if you want real bass then you're looking for a sub!

As a driver, the sound is great. I hear it all!

As a passenger, the sound on the driver side is a bit drowned out due to the fact the driver is there. That is positioning of the tweeter though.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Very cool. Any shots of how/where you mounted your cross-overs?

I'm gearing up to install some elemental designs components in my GD. Ran all the wiring & installed the amp last summer, but got bored with the project. But the mod bug has caught me again this spring . . .

Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Daemione
Very cool. Any shots of how/where you mounted your cross-overs?

I'm gearing up to install some elemental designs components in my GD. Ran all the wiring & installed the amp last summer, but got bored with the project. But the mod bug has caught me again this spring . . .

No real shots on where I mounted the cross overs yet. I just mounted them with some double sided tape onto the outer door panel. I'll take a picture when I run the wires and amp.