2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Installing Auto Dimming Mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Installing Auto Dimming Mirror?

I recently got a auto dimming mirror for my '09 fit sport. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the mirror(well i can i just don't want to break anything) correctly. So my first question is how do you remove the mirror without breaking anything? Also, which wire do i tap into for power for the mirror?
Thanks
Fitfan

Name:  DSCN1766.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  67.5 KB
Name:  DSCN1764.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  78.8 KB
Name:  DSCN1767.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  49.2 KB

Old 11-23-2010, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member
Insert a small screwdriver in the slots on either side to release the tabs then pull towards rear.

No wires up there so you may have to snake one back to the dome light might work?

I find with my dark tint on hatch I have no problem at night.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the help, between your advice and a diy if figured it out without breaking anything ! I still have to wire it up though. Is the solid purple wire(outlined in red in the pic) the right wire to tap into for switched power?
Name:  DSCN1775.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  98.6 KB

Thanks
Fitfan

Old 11-25-2010, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
The purple wire from what I can determine is the wire for accessory outlet so should give you constant power.

You may want to check other strings to confirm this before blowing anything up.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Well the diy Here says that the purple wire is an ignition powered wire, so it should work.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like it.

I was in there last year for my floor lights. I think it was the pink and blue ones I used. Then this summer back in for the winkers on mirrors. I managed to get the mirror lights working opposite to signal lights. No idea which way I would be turning. Fun.

Good luck.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Well according to the diy the pink wire is constant power(That could run the battery down!), I just need switched for the mirror. I helped my friend install angel eyes on his bmw about a year ago. No issues except running to walmart at midnight to get connectors to wire it to the lights.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:28 PM
I finished the install about 7 pm. Had i not had one with a temp. sensor it would have taken about an hour and a half. With the temp sensor it took around 4 hours total, because i had to figure out how to route it.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Well done. So you had fun eh?

I still think a dark tint is the way to go

Old 12-03-2010, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Well done...

... I still think a dark tint is the way to go
Negative, Beavis!

I want to do the mirror strictly for the compass and outside temp. I'd actually be pretty satisfied with the Fit's stock mirror if it had the temp. and compass readouts. Not really a fan of auto-dimming mirrors.

I have auto-dimming on my SUV mirror (plus temp. and compass)... one of the first things I do when starting the vehicle is disable auto-dim! Way too strong for me... can't see much of anything behind me after it dims.

Honda's stock mirror, when flipped up/down (whatever the preference), provides the perfect amount of anti-glare. Yet, unlike other stock auto mirrors, you can still clearly see what or who is behind you. The best stock rear-view I've ever encountered.

Like I said, I want to change strictly for the compass and temp. readout.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
I don't need a compass.... the wife tells me where to go.

Temp. Hmm summer shorts, fall jacket , winter snowshoes and coat and mittens.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
I know I'm late to the party, but I just picked up my Fit two weeks ago. I installed the GenK50A today. It was fairly straightforward, until I decided to confirm the above DIY with a multimeter. It turns out the pink and purple wires are the correct ones for constant and switched power, respectively. I was a little perplexed, because the power doesn't hit the purple wire until you turn the key to the "on" position, and it stays there after you turn the key off until you do some combination of removing the key and opening the driver's door. I can't tell you the exact sequence, because I didn't take the time to figure it out.

If you position the temp sensor on the right side of the upper grill, you can route the wires through the big grommet on the passenger side, come in behind the HVAC, and then back under the dash to the driver's side. This will you mean you don't have to spend the time separating the sensor wires from the power, and only have to run the wires down one A-pillar.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitfan46
I recently got a auto dimming mirror for my '09 fit sport. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the mirror(well i can i just don't want to break anything) correctly. So my first question is how do you remove the mirror without breaking anything? Also, which wire do i tap into for power for the mirror?
Thanks
Fitfan

Did the same thing on mine. I went ahead and purchased the same dimming honda mirrors (CIPA #36401)from partstrain.com and I could not deny the fact that the the price was great. I may try and install myself or if too difficult, my nephew is a honda mechanic so there’s no problem with the installation.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
resurrection....what mirror did you install, OP? Where did you route the wiring for the temp sensor?