2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Sound Deadening Project (Lots of Pics)

Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 PM
So why didn't you put the ensolite in the middle up front? Just too much cost i guess?
I thought i'd look into this as i did my first road trip and i really noticed the noise, that and my girlfriend complained when i turned up the stereo loud enough to hear the music.

After a whole day of travel the sound really wears on you as well, especially with almost no sound insulation in the fit (as much as i love the car)

I think if i do this i'll do it in chunks, front, back, doors, separately as i have the money/time to do so. Either that or enlist the help of my brother in exchange for beer XP

Also, do you have a rough idea on the square footage of the floorspace? Trying to price this out in my head...

EDIT: Sorry, read a little more and found my answers more or less...

Last edited by ebouwman; 04-25-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM
ebouwman

I would estimate around ~45sqft of each material for the doors, trunk, hatch, & floor. Probably a bit less of the CLD depending on the coverage you plan on applying.

Doing it in stages is probably a good idea. The fits interior pops apart pretty easily but it is time consuming. It also gives you a better sense of the kind of specific noise reduction you get from treating each section.

Before attempting the project you should also try to identify the specific noises that bother you at highway speeds. the noise from wind, road vibrations, and passing cars/trucks can be reduced quite nicely. The fits whiny engine, on the other hand, is more difficult to quiet up (unless your willing to pull the complete dash).

Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 AM
nice work.

my last install was for my 99 accord (SQ setup that cost me in the 5K) after I used quickroof... I'll never use any of those expensive snake-oil-brand dampening materials again.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by thevil0ne
nice work.

My last install was for my 99 accord (sq setup that cost me in the 5k) after i used quickroof... I'll never use any of those expensive snake-oil-brand dampening materials again.
5000????????????

Actually looking at the weight of the MLV i might have to see about a local option for that, also i have to consider that i'll be shipping this cross border most likely...

And i'm assuming you got your CLD and MLV from Sound Deadener Showdown?

Last edited by ebouwman; 04-25-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I got the CLD from Ramm Audio and I purchased the the CLD from a company called 'Super Soundproofing Co." 44sqft for $49.60 + $57 Shipping

Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by ebouwman
5000????????????

Actually looking at the weight of the MLV i might have to see about a local option for that, also i have to consider that i'll be shipping this cross border most likely...

And i'm assuming you got your CLD and MLV from Sound Deadener Showdown?
this quick roof...
Quick Roof™ instant waterproof repair for regular and rubber roofs

yes, my system roughly cost me 5K. I was using 3 amps which were made by ZED (US made of course), audicontrol processors, unpowered burr-brown alpine hu which I later added the clarion autopc, mbq seperates/drivers (pre-maxxonics crap), later upgraded to a/d/s, matching quality interconnects and wires... which I installed myself. I lost interest when my car was stolen (yes the entire car) and 2 of the amps was taken. I managed to track one same amp on ebay a year later... still have not replaced the other until I totaled my car just 2 years back and decided to sell everything.

I am now keeping myself away from the ICE scene

Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Do you know of any service provider who will DO the soundproofing work? In the San Francisco Bay Area? Can it be a tinting, stereo system installer?

Last edited by djmnsf; 05-17-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Good stuff man! That MLV must be doing its job nicely...wish I had some MLV in mine hehehe

Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Come do mine. I'm too lazy! Haha

Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Great write up, mega informative. I tried to something similar in my Del Sol, using dynamat foil backed type product alone & was not impressed. This looks much better.
I am not afraid of removing the seats, plastic panels in hatch, but more relucant to remove door panels. How difficult was it to get the door panels off? Was there a factory applied sheet of plastic on the inside of your door panels? If so, did you replace that? Its unclear to me what the roofing product was -- looks like thin sheet metal, but probably not. What tools did you use?
May be a winter project for me.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Great write up, mega informative. I tried to something similar in my Del Sol, using dynamat foil backed type product alone & was not impressed. This looks much better.
I am not afraid of removing the seats, plastic panels in hatch, but more relucant to remove door panels. How difficult was it to get the door panels off? Was there a factory applied sheet of plastic on the inside of your door panels? If so, did you replace that? Its unclear to me what the roofing product was -- looks like thin sheet metal, but probably not. What tools did you use?
May be a winter project for me.
I wouldn't worry about taking off the door panels, its very easy on the fit. You basically pop off the cover over the armrest and remove a screw, remove the screw in the latch, and then stick a little pry bar between the door panel and pry up to remove ~12 retaining clips around the edge of the panel. There is a plastic sheet covering the big holes in the door frame. Yes the metal material I used whats called "roof flashing" and is available at Lowes/Home Depot. Its pretty thin and can be cut with heavy duty shears.

Really the only tools you may need for the job are: small pry bar, Phillips screw driver, heavy duty shears, box cutter, socket wrench (to remove seats).

Old 07-31-2011, 02:08 AM
Amazing write-up, this is exactly what I was looking for.
I'm going to use this as my step-by-step guide
What do you use to stick the MLV to the Ensolite?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 AM
thanks. If you buy the ensolite from Rammaudio they have two versions. Plain which you can use in conjunction with a spray type glue (3M type stuff) or a version with glue already attcahed tot he backside which they call peel-and-stick (this is what I used)

Old 07-31-2011, 11:47 AM
The peel-and-stick is what I have on order as well. I meant to ask how did you stick the heavy MLV to your door panel?

Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I used pieces of industrial strength type valcro. Its available at lowes.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
looks like it took alot of time and patience! great job! this is definitely something i may be interested in doing in the future since i am not considering modding for speed. GREAT JOB!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Where do you buy the noise damping products?O'Reilly , Auto zone?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by jcuecker
I got the CLD from Ramm Audio and I purchased the the CLD from a company called 'Super Soundproofing Co." 44sqft for $49.60 + $57 Shipping
from a few post up

Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
holy dayum. now this is dedication.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Great job! Just wish that Honda would do this on all Fits since they are aware that this is a major issue with our little cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound Deadening Project (Lots of Pics)