2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Secure Amp Inside Spare

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 AM
Secure Amp Inside Spare

I recently bought a small 4 channel amp with the intentions of stashing it inside the spare tire in the rear, but was wondering for those that have done it, how do you secure it down? I don't want the amp to be able to move around.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 PM
I actually just mounted my amp to the underside of the spare tire cover, with the amp hanging in the center of the spare.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perro_Loco
I actually just mounted my amp to the underside of the spare tire cover, with the amp hanging in the center of the spare.
That is a good idea.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
double check to make sure the amp can be mounted upside down.

you could get a board to mount the amp on and fit it inside the spare, then replace the wingnut/bolt with a standard bolt, drill a countersunk hole into the board
mount board, then mount amp onto the board. keep tools or whatever you need to dismount the amp when you need to access the spare.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feared
double check to make sure the amp can be mounted upside down.

you could get a board to mount the amp on and fit it inside the spare, then replace the wingnut/bolt with a standard bolt, drill a countersunk hole into the board
mount board, then mount amp onto the board. keep tools or whatever you need to dismount the amp when you need to access the spare.
Personally, I've not come across an amp that can't be mounted either vertically or horizontally (doesn't matter which side up). Naturally, it doesn't mean they don't exist but I'd guess they are few and far between. everything in an amp is solid state and the only thing that matters is adequate cooling. Usually those that need extra help have an onboard fan and I don't think i'd stick those in tight spaces. My 2000 integra had a false floor with an amp and 2 free-air subs mounted underneath in the trunk. Pics are on my Cardomain site linked from my sigpic.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 07-01-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Some amps can't but some can be mounted upside down. Still be safe and double check the manual. Still screwed into the spare cover doesn't have the screws sticking out of the cover? The spare cover is pretty thin.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Be kinda hot in there for it mayB

Old 07-02-2011, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Ive had a DLS A7 mounted in my spare tire well since I bought my car in 09.

I have a 1/4 or 1/2 thick inch piece of wood I cut to size, then I used alot of Heavy duty velcro to secure the wood to the bottom of the tire well.

Then Mounted the amp to the wood.

I have had 0 problems with this.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Velcro should never be used in case your in an accident. Even a relatively small amp can be ripped from the wiring and forced through the cover flooring becoming a lethal projectile in any hatchback.

In fact i was working next to a highway where some guy in a extended cab truck for some dumb reason came to a complete stop on the road some 30 ft from me working and a surburban completely creamed him from behind at highway speed or faster. In the bed was a typical carry tool box which after the wreck was on the hood of the truck mangled just missing the driver. So it went though the back window, looked like it broke through the head rest and then the front window. Everything including the back seat was forced foward.....i can only imagine what an amp or even sub box that was velcro downed would do in a hatch......but seriously, dont do it. At least use a secure strap of some kind to anchor it down to something solid.

Last edited by soulfly; 07-03-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:47 AM
This is the fourth time I've mounted under the trunk floor and second time mounting an amp upside down. There was my gen 1 CR-V, Element, and my best friend's Gen 2 CR-V, all with the amp right side up underneath the picnic table/trunk floor. I did an upside down mount under the rear deck of an Accord (that was a pain). I've never had a heating, but I usually have the amp turned only a quarter to half way up. As for the Fit I'm not so concerned about the amp hanging. I have washers that are about 1.5" in diameter and the screw head is on top. The locking nuts and smaller washers are underneath holding the amp up. The cover is pretty thing but I figure with the large washers on top and the tire basically supporting the rest of the cover I won't have an issue. With the back empty the only visual clues are the sub (which is covered by a black blanket) and 4 silver washers and screw heads. Once I get the cargo tray those won't even be seen.

I like doing it that way because it's easier to just unhook the sub and move it than to unhook an amp when I want to load stuff into the cargo/trunk area. Not to mention with enough speaker wire lead you can also move the sub around if you want to load the car up and keep the bass.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 AM
This is the fourth time I've mounted under the trunk floor and second time mounting an amp upside down. There was my gen 1 CR-V, Element, and my best friend's Gen 2 CR-V, all with the amp right side up underneath the picnic table/trunk floor. I did an upside down mount under the rear deck of an Accord (that was a pain). I've never had a heating, but I usually have the amp turned only a quarter to half way up. As for the Fit I'm not so concerned about the amp hanging. I have washers that are about 1.5" in diameter and the screw head is on top. The locking nuts and smaller washers are underneath holding the amp up. The cover is pretty thing but I figure with the large washers on top and the tire basically supporting the rest of the cover I won't have an issue. With the back empty the only visual clues are the sub (which is covered by a black blanket) and 4 silver washers and screw heads. Once I get the cargo tray those won't even be seen.

I like doing it that way because it's easier to just unhook the sub and move it than to unhook an amp when I want to load stuff into the cargo/trunk area. Not to mention with enough speaker wire lead you can also move the sub around if you want to load the car up and keep the bass.
So your amp is mounted just to the thin cover that flops over the spare...bolts - washers - paper thin cover - amp?

I just bought an '09 Sport and the amp is mounted to the back of the back seat. I'm not a fan for a number of reasons and was looking for a simple fix.

Thanks for the info, will be working on this this weekend.

-Kyle

Old 07-08-2011, 03:11 AM
Yep, four fender washers. I figured since it was pretty thin that I should have the weight spread out over a larger area. Seeing as the cover doesn't move around vertically or horizontally I'm not too worried about excess stress on the four points. Granted only time will tell, as usual

Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Yep, four fender washers. I figured since it was pretty thin that I should have the weight spread out over a larger area. Seeing as the cover doesn't move around vertically or horizontally I'm not too worried about excess stress on the four points. Granted only time will tell, as usual
Yesterday I picked up some bolts and 1" washers, and flipped it under the tire cover. After getting it mounted/connected, I felt a lot better about the stability. It didn't feel as heavy as I thought, and didn't seem like it would pull excessively. But as you said, time will tell. I'm content now knowing that my amp is hidden away, and I can now slap some Clazzios on!

Kyle