2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

The ultimate cargo liner for dogs

Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
The ultimate cargo liner for dogs

Greetings all ...

There have been several threads on cargo liners over the years, but near as I can figure they've kind of fizzled out a bit. I'll post in hopes that others have some current ideas on the topic.

My newly acquired 2012 Fit will be driven around ninety percent of the time with the rear seats down, and my dogs in tow. I therefore need the best cargo liner I can find.

No end of them protect the floor of the cargo area but not the sides. That won't work for me. The one from Honda is nice enough: it protects the floor, of course, but it does *not* protect the interiors of the rear passenger doors.

I'm therefore looking at two others. One is from "Hatchbag" (SUV Cargo Liner | Hatchbag Inc. Cargo Liner). The others (two versions) are from US Trunk Liners (http://www.trunk-liners.com). These three liners seem to offer the maximum protection possible.

Any other Fit owners out there hauling dogs around, with one of the above products or a similar one?

Many thanks! I'm new to Fit Freak, and am enjoying all the learning. Worst case scenario (well, at least for me): no one else knows about these or similar products, I'll buy one, and then post a full review!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Honda does make a cargo liner which covers the sides ---> Honda Cargo Liner (Fit) - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

The Cargo Tray doesn't (obviously).

and, the JDM Honda Cargo Mat which a few of us got covers the seatbacks, and cargo floor, but not the sides.

pics of the JDM mat from peanut's thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...s-opinion.html

and then I think Weathertech makes one also but not sure if it covers the sides.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Thank you for the reply, FitStir!

I've reviewed the installation instructions on Bernardi for that cargo liner, and near as I can figure from the illustrations it covers the interior sides of the vehicle *behind* the rear seats, but not the interiors of the rear passenger doors when the seats are down. If I'm reading that right ... kind of an odd design by my way of thinking.

I'd certainly be interested to read a post from you or anyone (who owns that liner) who knows for guaranteed certain. Otherwise, I'm still in a holding pattern ... and the three models to which I referred in my original post seem to be the only ones that cover everything.

Again, thanks for your reply ...

Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
130lbs of Neo mastiff. How do you protect the windows and roof liner. He also like's the drivers seat.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
I have always put my dogs in a wire crate when they ride in our cars, but they do OK in the back of the old pickup's bed... The guy I have now is a Australian Cattle Dog/ Border Collie mix and happily gets into his crate when told to.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
{snipped}I have always put my dogs in a wire crate when they ride in our cars{snipped}
Crates are the safest way to transport pets and protect your vehicle's interior from dirt and damage.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi Texas and Dee ...

I train dogs for a living, have a pretty good rep, work in an animal shelter with a stellar national reputation, and have devoted a fair percentage of my life (pushing sixty years old) to the well being of pet dogs. Yup, like you, I'm a big fan of crating.

All that stated, my question is about the best ("best" defined as maximum protection) cargo liner for a Fit.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
I would check with WeatherTech to see if they make one for the Fit. From the looks of the one sold by Bernardi--it might be better to cut a piece of plastic or rubber yourself--that one looks pretty flimsy.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks Sooz, whereabouts are you in CO? I'm from Fort Collins, long ago. I checked WeatherTech, which for sure has a lot of nice products, but they don't seem to have a cargo liner that extends vertically from the floor to cover the interior sides of the vehicle.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
I have some horse stall matting I purchased at Tractor Supply that I put in the bottom of the dog crate.. It comes in 1/4" and 1/2" thickness and would make a great cover for the floor.. I suppose it could be scored on the bottom side to bend and cover the sides of the interior... I have been thinking of getting some more of it to cover the floor of the cargo area to reduce road and exhaust noise.. It's not cheap though... I trained dogs professionally for awhile 30 years ago... I'm getting a bit too slow these days to be doing much of anything but the critter I now have is finally behaving well..

Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi TC ...

Yes, I know that horse stall matting, darn interesting idea! I'll think on it, though my "to do" list is so long that I wouldn't mind cheating and getting something ready made. And you're right, for sure, it isn't cheap.

I know what you mean about getting a bit too slow ... me too! I read you've got an ACD X BC. I bet he's going easy on you! I've got two BCs crossed with who knows what. Probably half dog and half devil. They're mostly easy on me too, thank heaven.

Thanks again for the thought ...

Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dogofyourdreams
Thanks Sooz, whereabouts are you in CO? I'm from Fort Collins, long ago. I checked WeatherTech, which for sure has a lot of nice products, but they don't seem to have a cargo liner that extends vertically from the floor to cover the interior sides of the vehicle.
That's where I live!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I like the look of the "Hatchbag" cargo liner. Not only does it provide protection, but it appears to be comfortable for the dog(s) as well.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Hi TC ...

Yes, I know that horse stall matting, darn interesting idea! I'll think on it, though my "to do" list is so long that I wouldn't mind cheating and getting something ready made. And you're right, for sure, it isn't cheap.

I know what you mean about getting a bit too slow ... me too! I read you've got an ACD X BC. I bet he's going easy on you! I've got two BCs crossed with who knows what. Probably half dog and half devil. They're mostly easy on me too, thank heaven.

Thanks again for the thought ...
The BC I had before this guy was the smartest dog I've seen but also the absolute most insane... I had him working off lead flawlessly but if I turned on the water to wash the car he would attack the stream of water... He would steal plastic parts and tools from off of the floor when I was working on the car and would stalk and chase deer across fields... One day he ran into a harem of does and a huge buck.. I could see bushes shaking and dust rising into the air then him running back down the same trail coming back to me... I spent months online and on the road trying to find him and came to the conclusion that a person I had let hunt on my land took off with him...I had been out of town for a medical appointment and my wife had left him outside for hours.. He came up missing about the time the hunter drove off according to a neighbor.. The border collies are pure hell to deal with until they reach 2 years of age and then all of your work with them becomes apparent and worthwhile.... Anyone that likes dogs is A#1 with me.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
OP, if I may ask, what are you trying to protect... the car's interior from dog hair? Liquid spills? Or the dog to be comfy in... protect the dog from legs getting caught (possible injury) in the open cubbies on the sides when back seats are folded?

Those rubber garage floor drip pans come to mind if you want protection against fluid spills. Maybe two laid end over end then do some modding by cutting the sides to fit the contour of the car. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
There's something called an Elemmat for the Fit, looks a lot more solid than the cargo liner sold at Bernardi, but still does not protect the sides

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/sale...t-elemmat.html

I saw an SUV liner that protects the sides, but doubt you can get one for the Fit.
CargoMate SUV Area Mat, SUV Cargo Mats

How about laying a tarp down and fasten to the sides somehow with Velcro or rope ties.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi all ...

Thanks once again for your thoughts on this!

First things first, TC, I certainly was sorry as can be to read about your dog being stolen like that. I don't know what to write about it, really, other than to say that trying so hard to get him back ... that's the best evidence there is on how you felt about him. Your stories about how he would attack water and steal bits of plastic made me laugh. Yup, I agree one hundred percent with you, border collies are nuts! Maybe that's part of why we love 'em so; I guess we're nuts too. Be sure to give that fellow you've got now a good belly rub for me.

Subie, the goal is to keep as much fur, dirt and water as possible from making contact with the floor and vertical walls of the rear interior, while still allowing the dogs to have "the run" of the rear. Windows and head liner are hopeless causes, of course; I just give those a wiping once per week or so. My two dogs run off leash for a couple of hours more or less every morning of the year, often longer on weekends. They also go swimming a lot. No question, over time the interior will show significant wear and tear. I'm just trying to minimize/slow the process.

Well, Sooz, leave it to someone from my old hometown to inspire me. When you look at those two websites in my first post, their products are basically just tarps with connectors. I still might buy one of those (especially if someone joins this thread and gives a good review), but now I'm thinking I should just put some hours into the task and do it myself as you described. I know you're on the edge of your seat (okay, well maybe not), so I'll post how it all turns out.

By the way, Sooz, I was in FC for Christmas this year, visiting my mother (eighty-nine years old) and siblings. I'm the only one who left town, long ago. I sure liked that snowfall just before Xmas! Felt like a kid again.

Again, thanks all. Today is a happy day: I'm picking up the car! I bought it on Saturday 1/28, but they finished installing the accessories just last night. I'm about to hop on the local commuter train to go fetch it. Whoopee!

Best wishes ...

Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Again, thanks all. Today is a happy day: I'm picking up the car! I bought it on Saturday 1/28, but they finished installing the accessories just last night. I'm about to hop on the local commuter train to go fetch it. Whoopee!

Best wishes ...
Well enjoy your new ride! I hope it's AT (noticed your SF location).

As to your liner, looks like that might have to be a custom job. A rigid padded hard board won't work coz chances are you'd still want to use your back seats occasionally. Then again if you go the rigid route, you can still leave it at home when the dogs are not with you.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Oh my, I'm in love. What a nice little car. Had a pleasant thirty mile drive home ... some on the highway ... some around town ... really impressed by the ride. They did a good looking install on the fog lights, splash guards and rear bumper applique. Overall fit and finish, exterior and interior, look just fine.

It's primarily my wife's car. And the dogs' car too, of course. I drive a four door Tacoma. But I can tell I'll enjoy it too from time to time.

Here's a trip down memory lane ...

My Dad was a world class auto mechanic. He could fix anything, probably blindfolded. He worked for GM all his life, and my Mom (sneaking up on ninety years old) still lives comfortably to this day on the pension and benefits he worked hard to get for her.

Once upon a time very long ago, I was just a kid, he and I were going down the highway in the big ol' Buick. We got passed - imagine that! - by some little Japanese import, maybe a Datsun though I'm not sure. My Dad said: "Look at that little car from Japan! They'll never make it in America."

Well, he was right about a whole lot of other things!

Gave a good day, all ...

PS: Subie, yup, it's AT. My back is shot. Really can't work a clutch anymore.

Last edited by dogofyourdreams; 02-01-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo