2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Need Help! Battery or Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Need Help! Battery or Alternator?

Hello everyone, I am new a user to this forum but I have been doing alot of reading on it ever since I purchased my 2010 Honda Fit back in March.

I have done little upgrades here and there with the biggest being my audio system upgrade.

I have the following installed in my Fit..

-Alpine MRX-M50 500W RMS
-Alpine SBR-S83V 8" Enclosed Subwoofer 300 Watts RMS
-Audio Control LC2i 2 channel LOC
-KnuKonceptz KCA Complete 4 Gauge Amp Installation Kit

A friend and I installed the system and we've done installs on my previous cars (96' Accord, '04 350z) so it's not like we're total noobs at it. The only new thing to us was the Audio Control LC2i LOC. It was our first time installing a subwoofer using the stock radio (wanted to keep the dash clean and OEM.)

Anyway, we got everything installed and the system sounds really good, but for some reason my car won't start when I don't use it for more than 12 hours or so. I checked to make sure I don't have anything on constant power. Amplifier only turns on with ignition and so does AudioControl. The power light indicator on both machines turn on only with ignition so I do no think they are the issue.

I also noticed my car still has power too. Radio turns on, lights work fine, but when I try to turn the iginition to start the car the lights on my dashboard just blink rapidly and the engine makes this weird sound like it's trying to turn on but just can't.

So I've been jump starting my car numerous times lately, and I'm just fed up with it now. I've been reading through the forums and my assumption is I need to upgrade my battery and/or alternator. At first I didn't think it was necessary because it's not like I'm running a full blown system. But, after all these jump starts it seems to be the case. I was just wondering if anyone had any information or answers for me on pointing me to the right direction. Thanks for any input and this forum greatly helped me with the install as well. I can't wait to post pictures of my car and upgrades I've done once the rain stops here and have time to detail my car.

Last edited by dustin_rae; 06-05-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Fixed

FYI.. I know noone answered but I took my car to the Honda Dealership and it was the battery that was bad. Had it replaced with another battery and now my car starts up just fine. I had the older battery with the scope indicator (indicator said it was good even though it was verified bad!) and the one they replaced it with looked like an actual Honda battery w/ no scope. Hoping this battery holds up longer, reading reviews here and everyone's been saying the newer battery w/out the scope is better. Crossing fingers, so far so good.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
You should check to see if there is a current draw. Also, if the new sound system does draw current when "off" then perhaps install a manual on/off switch on that circuit. Problem solved. I hope it was just a bad battery.