2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Pioneer XM Receiver Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Pioneer XM Receiver Install

I forgot to ask in an earlier post about my Avic X930BT install for advice on where people are placing the fairly large XM/Sirius tuners from Pioneer?

Is there room up underneath the dash near the headunit to fit one of these or do I need to scope out a spot somewhere else in the vehicle? If it needs to go somewhere else is the lead Pioneer provides long enough to reach the head unit from a decent diatance?

Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 PM
So I received the Pioneer XM receiver and the lead that goes from the XM to the Pioneer Head unit is seriously 20 feet long... Anyone installed one of these and found a killer place to mount the XM receiver in the Fit?

I know I can figure it out - but having a go to place to mount it could save some good time on the install.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
The best/easiest place that this amateur found to install it was in the glove box, w/ some industrial strength velcro.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks -

I ended up cutting out a circular piece of wood - attaching the receiver to it and mounting inside the spare tire. The lead to the head unit is pretty thick but I worked it under the plastic trim that goes over the carpet along the door edges. Ran antenna to the back driver side corner of the roof as shown on some of the posts here. Ended up being a nice install but between the X930BT, Steering wheel controls and XM receiver it took quite a while. Way tougher to do this at fifty than it was when I was 18!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dragfree
I ended up cutting out a circular piece of wood - attaching the receiver to it and mounting inside the spare tire.
drag, do you mind telling me where you grounded the XM unit? I plan on mounting in the same place; I routed all the wiring yesterday (went under the center of the carpet and under the center console) but haven't connected the satellite unit to power since I haven't found a decent ground within reach. I don't know if you removed the spare tire, I haven't.

Also, you just mounted it inside the spare tire? Or did you affix the piece of wood to the spare tire cover and mount it that way?

I'd appreciate your help.

PS: Thanks for the inspiration to mount it inside the spare tire well. Had no idea what I was going to do with the thing until I read your post.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 PM
For the ground wire I just felt under the spare tire depression to make sure I wouldn't hit anything important and drilled a small hole in the floor under the spare. It's a good metal-metal contact once you run a short sheet metal screw through the hole and attach the ground wire.

I did not remove the spare tire... I used a 1/4 inch thick piece of MDF that I cut out as a circle and attached the XM receiver to. It sits inside the tire rim (XM receiver on top) and is recessed enough to allow the spare tire cover to close without a problem. I put a few pieces of velcro on the rim of the spare and the underneath edge of the MDF to keep it from sliding around inside the recess.

Good luck with your install !