2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What is it with the fits and the dam lug nut studs breaking 😡

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 11:03 PM
What is it with the fits and the dam lug nut studs breaking 😡

The fits have to be the worse cars for lug nut studs breaking I had a 08 before I bought my 09 broke about 4 or 5 studs on that one since I owned it. Well today I have a flat on my 09 and went to take my after market wheels off till i get some tires and put on the originals well ever dam stud broke off in the front passenger. 1 broke on the driver front and one on driver back. And Honda dumbass went all out making it to where u cant replace them with out pulling the whole wheel hub unlike the 08 I was able to get them in with no problem by grinding a flat spot on the stud. And I wasnt about to pull the whole hub screw a bunch of that. I got the ole grinder out and cut away and made a spot to slide the studs and seems to did the trick. May had not been the right way but now when they break again which they will I can change them out now. Still have to do the driver side one day and the back not sure how hard it's going to be. Any one else have problems with the pos studs

Old 03-11-2019, 10:11 AM
An odd coincidence, as one of my studs broke off recently as well. Hope that is it for the rest of your car's and my car's lifetimes.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Are you torqueing the lug nuts to spec and using anti-seize? In 40 years of vehicle ownership, I've been blessed to have never suffered this. You have to have the new studs pressed in, right?

Old 03-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
Are you torqueing the lug nuts to spec and using anti-seize? In 40 years of vehicle ownership, I've been blessed to have never suffered this. You have to have the new studs pressed in, right?
Yes you're right. They should be pressed in and this is why the hub should be completely removed to reinstall them.

Mr. Hulk (OP), is probably going to use his ugga-ugga wrench to seat the studs... which will weaken them. And then they will break again.

This is just a bad idea all around...............

Old 03-12-2019, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
I broke a stud on an '08 Fit. Strangely, I cannot remember how I resolved the problem, but I do not think that I removed the hub. In 1974, a got a flat outside of Flagstaff, Arizona, and I tore three studs off a Plymouth Duster. Turns out the driver's side studs were threaded counterclockwise. The factory did this so that the wheels would turn in the direction that the nuts were torqued (when going forward). Crazy, I know.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
2008 With all original studs. Plus we have two sets of wheels and change them often. So, I would definitely not say the factory studs are any weaker than others of the same size.

That being said, they aren't large so I definitely wouldn't try a huge breaker bar or an impact. Ours have only been tightened by hand and I keep a small dab of anti-seize on them.

A good friend had one of the studs on his Fit snapped off by a tire shop using an impact. I don't care what tire shops say about the torque limiting bars...just DON'T use an impact!

Old 03-12-2019, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
2008 … I don't care what tire shops say about the torque limiting bars...just DON'T use an impact!
Good advice! As I wrote above, I've never had a stud break, but I have had a tire store crossthread a lug nut and run it all the way down with an impact gun. Nice. I noticed it months afterward and just dealt with it until I sold the car. Then there was the Toyota Dealer who gunned my lug nuts on so tight that I couldn't get even one loose. Fortunately this happened in my driveway rather than on the highway. I duct-taped the lug nut wrench to a broom handle and successfully got them all off. Ever since then, I've always done tire rotations myself or have loosened and properly tightened the lug nuts after a visit to any shop.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, across 3 Honda fits and around 300,000 miles with 2 tire/wheels changes per year (winter / summer) we have never broken a stud. It looks like you torque wrench is out of calibration. I calibrate mine every 2 years as required by the FAA and use them also on our vehicles. I rarely find them out of spec but when I do they usually are way out of spec. I do not know why that is.

You could wire brush them to remove any rust and then anti-seize them The reduce the torque spec by 10 to 15%. Anti-seize them once for the life if the car and they will not rust again.

Re-calibrate or buy a new torque wrench...........

Old 03-13-2019, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
I've never had this happen and I swap wheels and tires frequently for auto cross, I only use had tools though since I feel impact wrenches have no business near wheel studs on light duty vehicles.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Yikes. I’ll have to revisit this thread when I change my wheels for spring.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
I haven't had any lug bolt problems with my '11 Sport AT with the OEM (6x16) or two different sets of aftermarket wheels (7x16), third set of tires, and 75,000 miles over the last 8 yrs (dry / wet / snow / ice). Each set of wheels required different set of lug nuts and these were removed / installed / tightened by the dealer, several independent shops, plus myself. In Pennsylvania, two wheels (one f and one b in "X" pattern) have to come off each year as part of the overall annual safety inspection (look at tires, brakes, exhaust, lights, wipers, CEL error codes, etc). My point is that those lug nuts have been off/on a lot. Glad I haven't experienced any problems but one of the first things I always do with a new or new to me use car / truck is put Never-Seize silver on the lug bolts. Maybe that's my 'secret sauce'.