2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusted valves.. Other issues now audible

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Adjusted valves.. Other issues now audible

So with the help of this forum, the people in it, and youtube videos, I successfully rid my car of the awful engine knock.

Now that its running quieter, I can hear a sound coming from the passenger side of the front which sounds like a metallic clunking, and another sound which only happens when the AC is on. Its a "pssh..pssh..." sound, Im assuming air coming from the compressor.

I figure the metalic sound is the belt tensioner, but as for the other one..my AC runs perfectly fine. Is it possible that the "pssh" sound could be the early stages of Ac compressor failure?

I know my tensioner is due for replacement as is my belt. While Im changing those out, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get an AC compressor, or do you guys think there is an alternate option since my AC still functions well?

Thanks in advance I will take a video of the sounds and upload on YouTube and provide a link.

EDIT:

VIDEO

You cant hear the "pssh" sound described above over the injector tick.

Skip to 5 seconds to hear the clunking.

Also, from 17-19 seconds, theres a sound that becomes audible..if anyone has any insight on what that could be.

Last edited by ChuckDustin; 04-04-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
She sounds purdy. Hold a length of hose to your ear and use it like a stethoscope.. it's still my assumption that everyone has fuel line lying around. I didn't notice anything unusual. Quieting down the engine bay may have un-earthed the semi-subtle knock that resonates from the oil pan. You can quiet the engine by adding some oil (unless you're positive it's full) or using a superior quality oil..

We could discuss your serpentine belt and associated pulleys, that'd be easy. Just attempt to twist the belt over to check between it's treads for cracks. Also watch the serp while the engine runs to make sure that it's perfectly straight along all the pulleys, and that the pulleys themselves don't wobble. My original serpentine belt was so insanely tight I screwed up my wrist changing it just one year ago (pre-emptive, it was still good just old). I cant imagine that tensioner wearing out, it felt like supreme overkill.
As for actually replacing the compressor, not unless you're made of money. You CAN however overhaul it and have it's oil replaced, which could potentially quiet it down and improve it's performance, maybe even reduce drag while it's running, but the oil part isn't a DIY procedure as special equipment is required. Should you do so, get it done by a shop you can trust. Even cleaning up grounds for the compressor could prove beneficial.

I'm glad to hear the valve adjustment worked out for you.

Attached Files
Old 04-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all your help, Pyts.

Upon further examination, everything seems fine. I think I was just being a little paranoid after the valve adjustment.

She runs great, just need some new struts and a couple of motor mounts soon, and gonna do my ATF fluid this week. Getting 34.7MPG after 100 miles of testing (both city and highway) and after I pulled back into the driveway and parked, it was so nice not hearing the dreadful GLUG GLUG GLUG anymore.

😄

Old 04-08-2019, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChuckDustin
Thanks for all your help, Pyts.

Upon further examination, everything seems fine. I think I was just being a little paranoid after the valve adjustment.

She runs great, just need some new struts and a couple of motor mounts soon, and gonna do my ATF fluid this week. Getting 34.7MPG after 100 miles of testing (both city and highway) and after I pulled back into the driveway and parked, it was so nice not hearing the dreadful GLUG GLUG GLUG anymore.

😄
Thats outstanding news! Those post surgery jitters are the worst. I'm quite satisfied with the results of this valve job, and hearing that other folks also got away without any complications will help with the night sweats. So, thank you!