2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations on a bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Recommendations on a bike rack

Looking for recommendations on a bike rack for my 2009 Fit Sport. Originally I was thinking a roof bike rack, but the trunk mounted bike racks seem to be a fraction of the cost. Nonetheless, I'm not even sure where to start since my research has turned up an overwhelming amount of options for both.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure how a rack would be attached to the back hatch?
I always just wheel mine in the back...strap it to the side and go. That's one of the reasons I bought the car...so easy to transport the bike.
Takes about 15 seconds from off the bike to shutting the hatch.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Hitch racks are becoming more popular. Light duty hitches very easy to get nowadays. I might go trunk mounted if its going to be infrequent, but the problem with those is you can't open the hatch when a bike is on there

Old 05-21-2019, 09:29 AM
It comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

Method: Inside the Fit
Cost: Free
+ keeps the bike out of sight, out of the elements
- takes up space, cannot haul more than two (if you want to include the riders), dirty bike = dirty interior (you could throw a blanket or tarp inside to mitigate this)

Method: Hatch
Cost: $50-250
+ quick and easy setup
- not as secure, cannot open the hatch when a bike is mounted

Method: Roof Rack
Cost: $200-500 (feet kit, base rails, bike rack/s)
+ keeps the rear window clear of any obstructions, can access the hatch
- noisy, have to lift the bike up over the car and rack (ever see those commercials where someone runs into the garage with a bike on the roof?)

Method: Hitch Rack
Cost: $200-500 (hitch, rack)
+ keeps the roof clear, easy to load/unload; some racks tilt/swing so you can still access the hatch
- car's butt just got longer

FWIW, I have tried all four methods I listed. I did not like the hatch rack because it never felt secure. The rack would shift from me pushing on it. I never tried it on the road.

The roof rack and hitch options were the best for me because I had bike racks and rails from my other vehicles (current and previous) that could be swapped back and forth. And although I currently have a hitch mounted bike rack on my Fit, I usually put it inside the car. A simple 2x4 plank of wood and a fork-mount attachment allows you to hold the bike vertically (sans front wheel) with one backseat down. Depending on how large your bike is, you can fit it across the rear seat area without folding down any seats.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
I've got a Thule roof rack w/ two Thule Sidearm 594xt carriers on my GE8 and we have a Thule 957 Parkway 4-bike hitch mount rack on my wife's car. I prefer the roof rack myself as it seems more secure & stable compared to the hitch mount + it's a tad bit quicker getting 3 bikes all loaded on & in the car & I've just always liked the look of a roof rack. I'm 6'3" so no issues getting the bikes up there but my wife is more vertically challenged hence the hitch rack. We chose a hitch mount that had the tilt option so that you can use the rear hatch but it's really not all that practical if you are in and out of the back as often as my wife is. For that reason we store the hitch rack off the car until needed.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:48 PM
Hatch rack is the way to go, in my opinion, BUT carrying 4 adult-size bikes on my 3-bike cheapo hatch rack (~$25) did, after a couple 1000+ mile trips, result in a nasty dent in my hatch from the pressure of the lower part that rests on the car. You have to remove the spoiler if your Fit is a Sport model, but you can reinstall it over the rack straps if you want. Don't overload your rack like I did and get one with a wide base that distributes the weight properly and you won't have the dent issue. I have since purchased another cheapo rack of the same brand (Allen) and it's much better than the older design.

As an unexpected bonus, I have received no "toll by plate" toll notices, as apparently the bikes interfere a bit with reading the plate.