2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dash Mats ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Dash Mats ?

Not sure if I really like the look, but I need the product for heat and glare. Can anyone tell me if they like/dislike their mats, and who's they bought. I've seen a lot of different offers on Ebay, and it gets confusing.Thanks.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
A sun reflector for the windshield will be more effective at keeping the car cool 😎

Old 06-17-2019, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Bought dash king on Amazon. It doesn't have cut out for the sport dash speakers and it honestly does reflect too much both during day and night. But I wear polarized glasses so that takes out the reflection. Feels it helps in keeping the car a bit cooler.
It looks ok.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
I could have sworn J's racing has a mat on their store. No idea where, but I'm 90% sure I've seen it. Fancy cutouts and all

Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
I've never liked the look of Dash Mats. Just personal opinion.
Reminds me too much of like putting a plastic Sofa Covers on your sofa.

Yeah, there's a lot of utilitarian help that dash mat's offer. But....you're putting a big swath of carpeting on your dash....is it worth it?

I suppose it's up to the individual.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
A sun reflector for the windshield will be more effective at keeping the car cool 😎
Yep, I use one of these and love it.

Get one that is custom fitted for the Fit. It's a bit of work rolling and unrolling it up but its worth it. It'll protect your dash, your interior and keep a lot of heat out from our giant windshield.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah and if you want to nap in the sun while you're on the road, you can hide underneath it yourself!

Assuming you are not driving 😂

Old 06-19-2019, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Heat AND Glare...

Originally Posted by fujisawa
The OP mentions Heat and Glare.
I'm assuming the glare, "reflection" that can manifest from the dash surface reflected on to the window.

A non-shiny mat, might help with that.
A sunshield will do nothing to stop that.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
I've used a dash mat since day #1 and it really cuts the glare from the top of the dash. Mine is cut out for all of the speakers and air vents and covers everything nicely. Sadly, I bought it 8 yrs ago and the supplier's name is lost.

My buddy would 'never' use one but I think it's great at cutting the reflection and protects the dash from 'direct' sun damage.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
I've used a dash mat since day #1 and it really cuts the glare from the top of the dash. Mine is cut out for all of the speakers and air vents and covers everything nicely. Sadly, I bought it 8 yrs ago and the supplier's name is lost.

My buddy would 'never' use one but I think it's great at cutting the reflection and protects the dash from 'direct' sun damage.
What is the colour and finish of the dash mat? Is it like a shag rug, or felt, or velvet, or hard textured flat finished plastic?

Old 06-21-2019, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
You can see that it is cut / finished / tailored to fit the curves and has the cut-outs for speakers and air vents. I choose 'not to' use the double-sided sticky tape to hold it in place, so it moves around a little, and therefore results in a small mis-match for speakers / vents but it's fine for me.

The the pic of the brand label also gives you a close up of the rug-like fuzzy texture. Sometimes I remove it just to test how much it cuts the reflection / glare off of the windshield. I always put it back on.

​​​​​​​
My buddy has a '10 Sport MT, vs my '11 Sport AT, and his is clean-clean-clean although he did haul 16 ft long treated lumber home in it for a deck. Again, I would rather deal with the dash mat / rug vs the glare.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:44 AM
I bought a cheap one off Aliexpress. If you don't mind waiting around 3 weeks, here's the link:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cKTkidwC

The quality is actually pretty good, not ragged threads or edges, and I chose it because it didn't have that stupid flap that covers the top glovebox that most of the expensive dash covers had. This one is not too in-your-face or old-fashioned looking, and the reduced glare is such a relief.

If you do order a cheap Chinese one, buy your own stick-on velcro dots (thankfully, O had some already). The tiny, crappy ones that came with the one I linked/bought just do not stick to anything. I only used the Velcro brand hooked half on the dash plastic and it holds perfectly with no shifting whatsoever.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the Covercraft Dashmat (color was called Cinder), two weeks ago. I fit perfectly, all the cutouts for the vents in the dashboard lined up. I haven't used the sticky tape, it sits flat without it and doesn't slide around. It really cuts the glare on the windshield. I parked the car and looked at glare with and without the mat, and it's no contest. Not quite as good as wearing polarized sunglasses, but more than I expected. Plus it doesn't get nearly as hot as the bare dash does when sitting in the sun. Paid $40 + $16.00 shipping + Tax direct from Covercraft. No loose seams or anything, seems to be made well. Time will tell, I guess. 2010 Honda Fit Sport, Tidewater Blue Metallic, 105,000 miles. I would have liked a lighter color, but from what I read, that would reflect up into the windshield, so I went with the Cinder color (it's kind of a dark gray/blackish color).