2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Lost keys under driver seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
HELP! Lost keys under driver seat

I've just installed a Thule hitch mounted bike rack on my Fit and used the Thule hitch lock to secure it:

And then I did something really #@{&!$% STUPID!!!

I got in the car and while trying to link the Thule keys to my car key ring, the Thule keys slipped out of my hand and fell in between the center console and driver seat. I grabbed my multi-tool and using it as pliers I attempted to retrieve the dropped keys. The space between the driver seat and center console is tight as #@{&. So instead of fishing them out, I've successfully managed to push them under the seat.
JUST PERFECT!!!
I have a strong flashlight in the car too, but after 5-10 minutes of angry futile attempts at retrieving the keys, I gave up. I can't even actually see the exact location of the keys anymore, since the space under the driver seat is so damn tight. Moving the seat back & forth didn't do jack-$#!+, because the keys are somewhere midway under the seat from front to back.

At least, there's no worries about bike rack theft, I guess.
But I've got a 2-3 upcoming camping trips this summer and would like to remove the bike rack to install my hitch cargo rack.

What's my most realistic & least expensive option here?

1) Was thinking of MavGyvering something out of a wire coat hanger and a strong neodymium magnet. Would the magnet cause any damage to the electronic sensors around and under the driver seat area? If there's no concern from the magnet, this would be my only free option.

2) Go to mechanic to remove & re-install the drive seat. Any idea how long would this take, to figure out how much they will charge?

3) Go to mechanic to cut lock off the Thule hitch lock? Likely not to expensive at mechanic, but those Thule hitch locks are way overpriced.

4) Contact Thule to beg them to sell me replacement keys? They use a lock number system, since their keys all look alike for different products they have. If I look on my lock, I can see the serial number something like "T123".

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 06-15-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:06 PM
I've never done this for a 2nd gen. The seats are held in by 4 bolts. The rear might be covered by some plastic. When you remove all the bolts, tilt the seat backwards so that you can disconnect the electrical connections (although I don't think you'll need to get to this stage).

Does the 2nd gen have the option of raising the seat height?

Old 06-15-2019, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't bother with going to a mechanic, it's just 4 bolts and four small plastic trim pieces to remove the seat. I don't remember what size the bolts are off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure it's 10mm. And a small flatblade screwdriver to aid in popping off the plastic trim. The manual states to torque bolts to 25 foot pounds when putting it back together.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
You can't raise the seat height, at least not in my 2nd gen.
I didn't really want to remove the seat myself, since there's an airbag in the side of the seat, I was concerned about accidentally triggering it. Or is that just newbie paranoia? I haven't noticed the electrical connections yet... So would I simply disconnect them, to not trigger the airbag, or do I have to also disconnect the car battery first?

Old 06-15-2019, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Andrei_ierdnA
You can't raise the seat height, at least not in my 2nd gen.
I didn't really want to remove the seat myself, since there's an airbag in the side of the seat, I was concerned about accidentally triggering it. Or is that just newbie paranoia? I haven't noticed the electrical connections yet... So would I simply disconnect them, to not trigger the airbag, or do I have to also disconnect the car battery first?
All you need to do is raise the seat a few inches to get your hand underneath. There's more than that just in slack. Iterally, four bolts, four trim pieces and you'll have it. Less than 10 minutes worth of work. No need to disconnect anything.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Battery disconnect

It's always a good idea to disconnect the battery when working on a car. Air bags and the possibility of shorts is always a possibility. Best of luck. Clay

Old 06-15-2019, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claycolvin
It's always a good idea to disconnect the battery when working on a car. Air bags and the possibility of shorts is always a possibility. Best of luck. Clay
Cheap insurance, sure. Not strictly necessary here but it doesn't hurt.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:31 PM
It’s not a big deal to move the seats four pieces of plastic and a 19 mm socket I believe. I’ve done this numerous times to vacuum and shampoo the carpet .

Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Since we're talking about trying to reach something in a tight space, I would think this is a problem that could be solved by some patient..."MacGyvering".
You might be forced to remove the seats...or seek professional assistance...but that would be unfortunate.

If you are concerned about using a magnet, A trip to "Harbor Freight" could possibly find you a grabbing tool.
I have retrieved stuff using all the sophistication of a yardstick or ruler with a gob of carefully attached reversed duct tape on the end. The trick is to make sure the tape is attached well, so you don't end up with the lost item, AND a big gob of tape being trapped.

Can you see the keys?
Would someone with perhaps smaller hands be able to help?

Just seems like a shame, to have to unbolt your whole seat.
But...
I suppose it could come to that.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Since we're talking about trying to reach something in a tight space, I would think this is a problem that could be solved by some patient..."MacGyvering".
You might be forced to remove the seats...or seek professional assistance...but that would be unfortunate.

If you are concerned about using a magnet, A trip to "Harbor Freight" could possibly find you a grabbing tool.
I have retrieved stuff using all the sophistication of a yardstick or ruler with a gob of carefully attached reversed duct tape on the end. The trick is to make sure the tape is attached well, so you don't end up with the lost item, AND a big gob of tape being trapped.

Can you see the keys?
Would someone with perhaps smaller hands be able to help?

Just seems like a shame, to have to unbolt your whole seat.
But...
I suppose it could come to that.
You'd end up spending more time MacGyvering than just undoing the 4 bolts and pulling the seat up. It's not like the seat has to come all the way out, just up far enough to get it. I'm telling you, 10 minutes tops and it'll be done.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
You'd end up spending more time MacGyvering than just undoing the 4 bolts and pulling the seat up. It's not like the seat has to come all the way out, just up far enough to get it. I'm telling you, 10 minutes tops and it'll be done.
This. I’ve taken out the rear seats. I write instructions for how to videos. Seats are just bolted to the floor. There’s no mystery magic tech down there. If you are nervous just disconnect the battery negative. You’ll just spend a couple extra minutes looking up your radio code 😎

Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Just wish the OP would return let us know what action they took.
I'm curious.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Telescoping magnets from the parts store are pretty cheap, and they’re great to have for dropped tools and boots/nuts.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
You could also have a locksmith make keys from the code. Shouldn't cost too much.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
I dropped my keys in same location, BUT locked the door w/o realizing didn't have keys. Called AAA to open door. This set off car alarm & had to wait until it went off by itself. Oh, did I mention it was raining? Still couldn't find the keys, and finally, discovered them under the seat bet attachment behind the front seat. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh