2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front driver seat issues -- wiggling, creaking, broken?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
front driver seat issues -- wiggling, creaking, broken?

Apologies if this has been brought up here before, but I couldn't find it. Any bigger peeps out there (250+ lb) experiencing what feels like a broken driver's seat?

I currently have around 5k miles on my Fit but its been doing it since day one. Seems like anytime I take a sharp turn, stop, or accel and my body puts force on the seat, it sort of wiggles a bit and makes a creaking/popping sound someplace in the lower back area. I've checked pretty much everything I could think of: rocked seat base, rocked seat back, checked wires underneath, looked at anchor bolts, fiddled with the seat slider lever, checked the moving headrest, but I still can't seem to figure it out.

It almost feels like there is some piece of broken plastic in the back piece, or that the recline adjustment has a bit of play and never quite locks into place.

I'll probably go to the dealer soon and have them tell me they could not duplicate it, and then repost here with another plea for help. I'll try out a couple of others on the lot and let you know if it's my fat ass or my broken seat, but I was wondering if any of you have heard of or experienced this.

Other than that and an annoying buzz from the passenger a-pillar at 3200rpm, all is well. I love this little car.

-Rob

Old 08-07-2009, 06:10 AM
I'm only 190 lbs and I haven't had any trouble with my diver's seat, but my passenger seat wabbles a little, like it is not tight enough.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
Teamkitty, I'm having the same issue (I'm just over 250lbs). I take a corner hard, and I can get a little wiggle and pop out of the seat back. I haven't really inspected it much though, I'll have to take a look at my seat.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Uh...my g/f an I were testing the um...refresh mode (well as close to it as our cars get)...ahem, and there was no creaking.

That would put us at a combined weight of about 280.

Also, I take my turns pretty hard--I haven't noticed any moving. Hopefully the dealer can help you out (tighten some bolts or something--and no, that is not a euphemism for anything).

Good luck.

-P

Old 08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
moving driver seat back

Hi,
New meat here. Im 58 and NEVER thought Id buy anything like Fit. Went to buy another Accord, went for a test drive and BOOM, another Fit owner. Im a pretty big guy and planned on doing something to get the seat higher and a bit back (how come Honda doesnt put some way to crank the seat up stock??) Has anyone here found a sanitary way to move the seat back and/or up. Id appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
you might be felling and or hearing the active head restraints moving, when force is applyed to the seat with your back it moves in and out, when you turn it might be moving a little sideways, and thats what you might be hearing. my passenger seat moves and makes noise like the people said in the past posts. i think i will take it in to the dealer for a check

Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
have you tried that on the passenger seat to see if the same thing happens? it might be the design of the seats, not sure. there are springs inside the seats so it can squeak/make noises.

my GD use to squeak each time i got out of my seat. it was more like a creeeeeak....like an old beatup car.

stopped doing that after maybe a year.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cool1442
Hi,
New meat here. Im 58 and NEVER thought Id buy anything like Fit. Went to buy another Accord, went for a test drive and BOOM, another Fit owner. Im a pretty big guy and planned on doing something to get the seat higher and a bit back (how come Honda doesnt put some way to crank the seat up stock??) Has anyone here found a sanitary way to move the seat back and/or up. Id appreciate any help. Thanks
You gotta be real careful if you try to move the seat, particularly up. There will be a ****-ton of force on whatever brackets you use to raise it.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
My car is two weeks old - about 1000 miles on it. I just felt my first "pop" from the driver's seat yesterday, and I wasn't doing anything particularly stressful to it. It hasn't done it again since, and it feels fine - nothing's broken in it, I'm sure of it. I'm not too worried about it.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
have you tried that on the passenger seat to see if the same thing happens? .
see posts #2 and #6

Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
COOL1442:

I will be 60 this year and am surprised that I bought one also! I have never owned a foreign-made car and thought the objective of the "Cash for Clunkers" program was to get people to buy American but when I started looking-around to ditch my "clunker" I found only one US-made car with automatic trans. (Pontiac Vibe - 68% US content!) would deliver >28 combined MPG according to EPA!
The Fit is a great little car and, maybe, the US manufacturers will get the message that they need a better selection of "economy" cars if a lot of this "Cash for Clunkers" money goes to buy foreign-made models...
I am a six-foot "lightweight" so the Fit fits me just fine, though I did note that the Toyota Yaris has a handle that lets you raise/lower the seat that is missing on the Fit.

BTW: I did own 2 Japanese motorcycles in the '70s and one thing about Honda bikes is also true of the Fit - incredibly smooth and quiet engine! I think they put the Tach in the Fit as a standard feature so you can tell it is actually running when you start it!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
still an issue, drivers seat

Thanks for the suggestions. So far it sounds like the Canadian guy's idea about removing the actual stops on the seat slides will be the easiest and most productive. Im 6'6" and 310 and head room (which is abundant) has zero to do with leg room. What Im looking for is the abilitly to take some degrees of bend out of my knees so I actually have some seating adjustment, the ability of actually move around a bit on a long drive. Ill let you know what I find out after I tear stuff apart! Thanks again all.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Well this is strange but I must have found the right seat position, because it has been rock solid since about the time I wrote the post nearly a week ago. I'll keep you posted...

Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 PM
2010 Fit with about 1500 miles on it and I'm having the same problem. It's driving me crazy. I wouldn't expect a brand new car to do this. I'm about 180 and it pops accelerating, braking, turning, sitting down, getting up.... Basically all the time. I was hoping to see more complaints about it so I can prove that I'm not the only one having the issue. Oh well... I'll take it back to the dealer and see what they say.

Jason

Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Rattling seat fix!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen.

Your seats bolts are loose. I guarentee it. i found that my frt bolt on the rightside of the seat near the console is loose. My friggin car has 400 miles man. I tightened the bolts and bingoe we have a proper seat. Im so gonna call honda and demand a recall..... dangerous much?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member