2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get to A/C clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
How to get to A/C clutch?

Hi, what's the easiest way to get to the A/C clutch to remove the armature plate on the 2010 fit? I'd like to remove/adjust the A/C clutch shim(s) without taking the whole compressor off. Can I get to it from the wheel well? and would appreciate any video/pictorial guides for fender removal etc. Can this be safely done without draining the refrigerant first (i'd think so?)? thanks

The intermittent A/C issue is quite common, and this guy seems to have figured out an effective hack that I'd like to try:

Last edited by fitowner10; 07-27-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Best I can think is to remove the wheel well facia. I'll attach the screenshot.

I'm not 100% sure I'm with you on the intermittent A/C thing but if there is nothing wrong with your car and it's at the right refrigerant pressure under load the compressor cycles on and off once ever 20-30 seconds or so. That's an intentional electrical command that most all Honda's within the last decade do (Mine and my mother's previous three Accords and my brother's new '19 Accord). It's meant as a means to keep drag on the engine down to keep average MPG figures up. I don't quite agree with the compressor needing to kick on and off as frequently as it is, but in 10 years all I've managed to break or wear out was the relay controlling the compressor maybe a month or so ago.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you for the picture. I will try removing the inner fender. The intermittent issue is not due to compressor cycling. When it's not working, it does not cycle on at all and just keeps blowing hot air forever. Clutch wear/corrosion is apparently a common issue after the AC relay failure issue (I've already replaced my relay switch to no effect). The guy in the youtube video describes exactly my issue, and since my refrigerant pressure and electricals all checked out, it's very likely I have the same clutch issue. Other people have reported success by just taking off the clutch/armature plate and removing the shim/washer, or by simply cleaning the thing.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Fixed it today. The clutch was super easy to get to, just a couple clips in the wheel well, took the armature plate out (14 mm nut), cleaned it, removed the very thin shim. A/C works again 100%. This is the root cause of the intermittent A/C issue I've had for years, thanks to the youtube guy I linked. Mechanic quoted $700 to replace the compressor, it was fixed within 30 mins without buying or replacing anything!

Old 08-07-2019, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
I fixed my daughter's ac problem on her fit by using this guy hack.

I also used his hack to fix the broken axle on my daughter's Fit.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by upallnight
I fixed my daughter's ac problem on her fit by using this guy hack.

I also used his hack to fix the broken axle on my daughter's Fit.
When I was looking for a fix in the last few years, I never came across a single mention of this fix. After I finally fixed it, I realized this solution was posted everywhere online lol.