2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVT Transmission Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 12:09 PM
CVT Transmission Trouble

Hi guys, The transmission has failed on my 2010 Fit and needs to be replaced. Trouble is it is a Japanese import with the 1.3l engine and CVT transmission and I'm having a hard time finding the parts I need or any concrete advice. So my questions are as follows...

1. Does anyone know a good dealer that can supply a CVT transmission. I'll need to have it shipped to the Caribbean but am happy to pay the costs.

2. Failing that, can a regular automatic or even manual transmission be used? If so then what modifications would be required?

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-08-2019, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
I don't believe you have a cvt automatic transmission in a 2010. My understanding is the cvt transmissions weren't even offered until the 2015 model year Fit.

As far as transmission fitment with the 1.3 liter engine, we weren't offered that engine in the USDM market, we have a 1.5 liter engine in gen 2 cars here. I for one, have no clue about the similarities and differences of the two engines or what transmission will fit what engine. You must have auto wrecking yards somewhere near you in the Caymen Islands.. Contact one of those yards and ask them to use their interchange guide for info on what transmission interchanges with your year Fit. You can then use that info to decide to either buy a wrecking yard used transmission with a guarantee or go forward with a Honda factory rebuilt trans..

The choice to buy a new replacement transmission would be cost prohibitive. If you wanted a Honda factory rebuilt transmission, you would have to arrange to exchange your transmission with a Honda dealer as part of the purchase- or pay/lose the core charge. The purchase would have to be made through a Honda dealer that was in the area of the world market that offered 1.3 liter engines in the Fit- unless the 1.3 and the 1.5 engines both used the same transmissions. You're probably going to have to replace like for like transmissions because I'm sure the computer control of a cvt trans and a conventional 5 speed automatic transmission, both use different controls for shifting them.

Last edited by 56chevydan; 12-08-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 56chevydan
I don't believe you have a cvt automatic transmission in a 2010. My understanding is the cvt transmissions weren't even offered until the 2015 model year Fit.

As far as transmission fitment with the 1.3 liter engine, we weren't offered that engine in the USDM market, we have a 1.5 liter engine in gen 2 cars here. I for one, have no clue about the similarities and differences of the two engines or what transmission will fit what engine. You must have auto wrecking yards somewhere near you in the Caymen Islands.. Contact one of those yards and ask them to use their interchange guide for info on what transmission interchanges with your year Fit. You can then use that info to decide to either buy a wrecking yard used transmission with a guarantee or go forward with a Honda factory rebuilt trans..

The choice to buy a new replacement transmission would be cost prohibitive. If you wanted a Honda factory rebuilt transmission, you would have to arrange to exchange your transmission with a Honda dealer as part of the purchase- or pay/lose the core charge. The purchase would have to be made through a Honda dealer that was in the area of the world market that offered 1.3 liter engines in the Fit- unless the 1.3 and the 1.5 engines both used the same transmissions. You're probably going to have to replace like for like transmissions because I'm sure the computer control of a cvt trans and a conventional 5 speed automatic transmission, both use different controls for shifting them.
Read for context, its a 2010 JDM import. Honda sold these with a CVT on the 1.3L.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Ok I stand corrected. I just learned something new. I think the rest of the info I provided in my earlier post is a common sense approach for repair/replacement of the trans.