2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel has static friction on center on highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 11:09 AM
Steering wheel has static friction on center on highway

I'll do my best to explain this as clear as possible. I have a 2012 Honda Fit 5-speed with 120k miles on it. When I am over about 45 MPH, the steering wheel doesn't want to move off center. Meaning, if I want to apply a small steering correction (maybe one degree left or right), it will inevidably end up applying 2-3 degrees of correction when I overcome the static friction and over correct just slightly. This ends up making me float a bit in the lane.

Does anyone have this issue? It feels like cogging almost or maybe a bad bearing in the steering column.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like something wrong. It should track straight, but not resist a correction.
Has the car ever been in an accident?
The reason I ask that is...I had a Ranger that the air bag inflated when hit. They fixed the truck and installed a new air bag.
The steering was the same that you describe after the repair. I returned it to the body shop and they admitted that they had left out a shim/washer under the steering wheel.
They fixed that and it was perfect there after.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by steve37
Sounds like something wrong. It should track straight, but not resist a correction.
Has the car ever been in an accident?
The reason I ask that is...I had a Ranger that the air bag inflated when hit. They fixed the truck and installed a new air bag.
The steering was the same that you describe after the repair. I returned it to the body shop and they admitted that they had left out a shim/washer under the steering wheel.
They fixed that and it was perfect there after.
Yes but no airbag inflated. Just one quarter panel was goofed up a little.

It seems like the steering wheel wants to "Stick" on center at highway speed.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Does it stick at slower speeds? As in driving in city traffic?

Old 01-09-2020, 02:47 PM
Not at slower speeds. Only above 45 MPH or so.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure then...mine did at slow speeds also. Had to turn wheel back after turning a corner.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Does it also do this on the highway on long sweeping curves? For example if the road gently curves for a quarter mile, do you feel this behavior as you try to maintain your lane?

I have noticed this as well. There is a “stickiness” once the steering takes a set and it’s not totally smooth to get it off. I have looked into this and there is a steering rack guide adjustment nut. However I do not believe that will solve my own problem without causing other changes I don’t want. It is not so severe for me I want to play with something that almost never needs touching after the factory. Either way I do not recommend messing with that adjustment as a first step. But it’s there if you get really crazy over time and want to look into it.