2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 04:07 PM
Won't turn

Hi!

I just bought a used Fit 2009 DX Manual. It's my first Honda so I'm discovering this forum. ;)

I'm having a concern about startup. It's not consistent and I'm not sure if I have an anti-theft system...

It happens especially when it's been sitting overnight. I usually crank it by pressing the clutch and brake pedals and then turn the key from off to start. When the problem happens, it just won't try to turn. All lights are on and I'm "wtf?" After many tries.. like removing the key, making sure the stick is at neutral, re-inserting, turning to ON before pressing the clutch and brake pedal, nudging the stick again.. after a while I can usually start it... but yesterday it was especially cold (-16C) and in an hurry. I almost thought I would never be able to start it.

Since I know nothing about Fits, beside the fact that they are great little cars that don't cost a lot on maintenance and gaz (I like that, :) I'm wondering if maybe we have a "normal" sequence to do before cranking the engine or maybe I have a defective sensor that does not always detect that the clutch and/or brake are pressed... I don't even know what the correct sequence is in fact... Also, it's my first manual since my first car, almost twenty years ago.

Please help me, I'm quite puzzled.. do I need to be educated, do I need to bring it to the shop?? :)

Cheers!
Martin

Last edited by cythraul; 01-18-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:58 PM
You should check the health of your battery through voltmeter. Or your starter motor or startersolenoid is giving out already

Old 01-18-2020, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
It won't turn, as in, it doesn't do anything? Or does it crank, but won't start, or takes longer to start?

You shouldn't need to press the brakes. The brakes are only needed if you're not using the parking brake to avoid it rolling off. You don't need to be in neutral, since you're pressing the clutch, but it helps in the case you forget you're in gear and release the clutch thinking you're in neutral. I've done it, it's not nice.

So, going back. If it's not trying to crank, did you have the battery checked? A low or dead battery won't let the car crank, even if there's enough to power the electronics. This becomes worse in colder weather. If this is a possibility, try taking it to an auto parts store that offers free battery checking and see what they say (keep in mind, its in their best interest to sell you a battery).

edit: with Rap Santos' mention of the starter... if you want to check that the rough way, make sure you park overnight somewhere you can roll down. Let it sit overnight. Then, instead of cranking the engine, put the key to ON (II), press the clutch, put the car in 1st gear, release the parking brakes and finally lift off the clutch. Depending on how steep it is, you can usually get it to start right away if there's no other problems. If it's not steep at all, it'll take a little while to roll up to a fast enough speed. Press on the clutch immediately after it starts or it may stall. You can do this on flat land, if you can push it fast enough. This was how my brother and I had to start an older car we had that had a bad starter. But, like I said, this is very rough.

If it is trying to crank... maybe the fuel line is too drained. When you first insert the key and turn it to the ON (II) position, just before cranking, the car starts up the fuel pump to "prime" the fuel lines. You might be able to hear it for a few seconds if you try to listen to it. You can try to see if waiting a little helps, even after the pump stops, turn the key off, then back on and wait again. The fuel line in my 2010 Fit drains back into the tank if I let it sit a long time, so it does take longer to start up in those cases. But in my case, I'm using an aftermarket fuel pump because I also have a supercharger on it. So, if yours is doing the same thing, then the fuel pump might need inspecting/replacing.

That's just a few things I could think of, but I'm sure there's a multitude of other possibilities out there. And aside from the battery, which you should be able to do yourself with a 10mm wrench or socket, you'll likely need to take it to a mechanic to diagnose. Heck, even a battery issue might not be the battery, but the alternator or something else, etc.

Its true that Fits don't require a lot of maintenance, it still does require maintenance in general. If the current/previous owner neglects that, who knows what kinds of issues you could have.

Last edited by Goobers; 01-18-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:10 PM
Gents, thank you very much for the quick replies!

It's not the battery or the alternator. Both check out with a voltage meter but I will have it checked anyway just in case Running, I have 14.4V and before starting, around 12.9. It could be higher tho. However, when it finally cranks, it starts quite fast even after numerous tries.

So to be more precise on what happens.. it's not cranking at all. If it was, I'd be suspicious of the battery, alternator or starter indeed. I payed a little more attention from your suggestion about the fuel line. When I put the key to ON, I can hear for 1-2 seconds a whirring noise and a distant "thump" noise that could be a pump stopping. I tried recording it but my phone microphone won't pick it up.

Yesterday I wanted to go out for a quick errand and I was able to start it after more than an hour of tries. I hooked my battery charger at the start setting and after leaving it for 5-10 minutes I still would not do anything.

Btw, I got an older model that looks like this one but the right switch has 2A/12A/100A
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0111503p.html

I was getting quite desperate since I was always able to start it after a few minutes.. and just when I was able gave up and figured I'd need to have it towed from my driveway to the shop, I pressed firmly on the clutch, brake and loudly told the little tank to start.. et voilà! It started without insisting on the starter. It was -16C. I went to my errand (2-3 minutes drive) and drove around for 15 minutes. Parked in the drive way and it probably ran for another 5-10 minutes.

I have a little Noco 4A charger which I hooked for the night plus the block heater. This morning I gave it a try and still no go at first. However, after 5-10 tries (I was too frustrated to count) it started... I drove my youngest to his practice, stopped by to get some groceries, another stop at the pharmacy and I just got back. Every time when warm it started on first try. I'm heading out now and it's been sitting for half an hour and I bet that it will start on first try as it never showed this symptom when it was warm.

Was I lucky or the fact that the block heater and battery were connected overnight gave it a chance? Or is it the slightly milder temperature (12C)? I've owned old car all my life and never had this exact situation.. I know bad starters, alternators and batteries.. never had a bad fuel pump tho. I hope it's just a bad or corroded connection.. and not something esoteric that the shop won't be able to diagnose because it's warm...

Anyway, I'll bring it to the shop this week... I hope it won't been something expensive but I'll keep you in the loop! Any idea on the cost of a fuel pump or starter on these little tanks? I love that car, even with the 15-20cm of snow we got last night it's very fun to drive around! :)

Thanks again guy!
Martin

Old 01-19-2020, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Chiming in to give Goobers the
​​​​​​

Old 01-19-2020, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Have you checked the battery cable connections?

Old 01-19-2020, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
No start

Check the neutral safety switch. Its on the clutch pedal usually so the car won't start unless the clutch pedal is depressed, making sure the car is out of gear. Try pressing the clutch pedal on a off a few times. Doe it now start?

Best of luck, Clay

Old 01-20-2020, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cythraul
It happens especially when it's been sitting overnight. I usually crank it by pressing the clutch and brake pedals and then turn the key from off to start. When the problem happens, it just won't try to turn. All lights are on and I'm "wtf?" After many tries.. like removing the key, making sure the stick is at neutral, re-inserting, turning to ON before pressing the clutch and brake pedal, nudging the stick again.. after a while I can usually start it... but yesterday it was especially cold (-16C) and in an hurry. I almost thought I would never be able to start it.
Batteries don't work well in winter weather, particularly when exposed overnight. Some suggest switching on headlights for a few seconds before trying to start the car. Google for more info.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by claycolvin
Check the neutral safety switch. Its on the clutch pedal usually so the car won't start unless the clutch pedal is depressed, making sure the car is out of gear. Try pressing the clutch pedal on a off a few times. Doe it now start?
Hahaha!! You got it! Thanks Clay!

I bypassed the switch and the car starts every time now! I'm SOOO relieved that it was a simple paper clip fix!

Now I just need some proverbial duct tape to hold the paper clip until I order a new switch.

Thanks everyone for your awesome help!
Martin

Old 01-20-2020, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Fix

You may want to order a genuine Honda part for that. Cheap ones from auto store may fail after a couple of years. Just keep a paper clip in the glovebox if you get a cheap one. Clay

Old 01-20-2020, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by claycolvin
You may want to order a genuine Honda part for that. Cheap ones from auto store may fail after a couple of years. Just keep a paper clip in the glovebox if you get a cheap one.
Good call about the Honda part. As for the clip, when it's warmer and I get around installing the new switch I might add a manual bypass switch (no pun intended. :)

Old 01-20-2020, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Learned something new today.