2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
TPMS warning

Hi,

I have a base model 2012 Fit. I let the tires run down, and now the TPMS light is on. I don't mean the low tire pressure warning. I mean the TPMS light itself. I can find no help for this on the internet. Does anyone know how to reset this?

GaryK

Old 06-17-2020, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
You don't reset this message. You need to inflate your tires to the recommended tire pressure, as specified on the driver's door jam label, and then drive the car. The tpms system will turn the warning light off when it senses the tires above the minimum tire pressure- which I believe is 27 psi. That is also dependent on all tpms sensors working properly. If one of the tpms sensors quits working, you need a tool normally found at most larger tire stores that senses a dead tpms sensor. These sensors have small battery sources in them and are not serviceable- you must replace it. You then register/ turn on the sensor to your car with the tool.

Here's a long youtube video that goes to great lengths to cover tpms problems and fixes: https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...#id=21&vid=4ec

Last edited by 56chevydan; 06-17-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 56chevydan
You don't reset this message. You need to inflate your tires to the recommended tire pressure, as specified on the driver's door jam label, and then drive the car. The tpms system will turn the warning light off when it senses the tires above the minimum tire pressure- which I believe is 27 psi. That is also dependent on all tpms sensors working properly. If one of the tpms sensors quits working, you need a tool normally found at most larger tire stores that senses a dead tpms sensor. These sensors have small battery sources in them and are not serviceable- you must replace it. You then register/ turn on the sensor to your car with the tool.

Here's a long youtube video that goes to great lengths to cover tpms problems and fixes: https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...#id=21&vid=4ec
Thank you. I inflated the tires, and drove the car, but the light hasn't reset. I want to be sure that I have explained the issue correctly. There are two TPMS-related warnings. There is a low-tire-pressure warning, an icon that resembles a tire, and an warning that consists of the letters TPMS, which I assume indicates a fault in the TPMS system itself. That is the warning light that will not reset. I guess I have to go to a tire store.

Last edited by gkarasik; 06-18-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
I looked in the service manual for 2010 Honda Fit. There is a whole section about TPMS and Low Pressure. Looks like you have to check the OBD port for codes, then go from there. Page 18-67 also says to check the Number 2 10 Amp fuse.

Maybe a way to check it is to inflate your tires to the specified (mine are 33 psi), then drive the car for about 10 minutes at over 28 mph and see what happens to the lights for Low Tire Pressure and TPMS. Then drop the pressure on one of the tires to about 20 psi, and see what happens to the lights.

From page 18-45 - "If low tire pressure and a problem in the system are detected at the same time, only the TPMS light come on. If the system is OK, the TPMS indicator and the low tire pressre indicator should come on when you turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and then go off 2 seconds later. If they don't there is a problem with the system."

Old 06-18-2020, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=56chevydan;1447232]You don't reset this message. You need to inflate your tires to the recommended tire pressure, as specified on the driver's door jam label, and then drive the car. The tpms system will turn the warning light off when it senses the tires above the minimum tire pressure- which I believe is 27 psi. That is also dependent on all tpms sensors working properly. If one of the tpms sensors quits working, you need a tool normally found at most larger tire stores that senses a dead tpms sensor. These sensors have small battery sources in them and are not serviceable- you must replace it. You then register/ turn on the sensor to your car with the tool.

Here's a long youtube video that goes to great lengths to cover tpms problems and fixes: https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...22&action=view
(Link corrected to the correct youtube video by Jim The Car Guy)

Old 06-18-2020, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bowbridge
I looked in the service manual for 2010 Honda Fit. There is a whole section about TPMS and Low Pressure. Looks like you have to check the OBD port for codes, then go from there. Page 18-67 also says to check the Number 2 10 Amp fuse.

Maybe a way to check it is to inflate your tires to the specified (mine are 33 psi), then drive the car for about 10 minutes at over 28 mph and see what happens to the lights for Low Tire Pressure and TPMS. Then drop the pressure on one of the tires to about 20 psi, and see what happens to the lights.

From page 18-45 - "If low tire pressure and a problem in the system are detected at the same time, only the TPMS light come on. If the system is OK, the TPMS indicator and the low tire pressre indicator should come on when you turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and then go off 2 seconds later. If they don't there is a problem with the system."
Thank you. That's helpful. I've already inflated the tires and driven the car (on the freeway). No joy. I'm going to take it to the dealer.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=56chevydan;1447277]
Originally Posted by 56chevydan

Here's a long youtube video that goes to great lengths to cover tpms problems and fixes: https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...22&action=view
(Link corrected to the correct youtube video by Jim The Car Guy)
Thank you, Dan.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
I've become an expert at dealing with Honda Fit TPMS issues.
Without any equipment there is very little you can do, besides checking the pressures.

Generally the tpms light comes on when it can't get a signal from one of the sensors or the tpms computer is broken.
Also if the low pressure light is on too long the tpms light will come on.

Also you can reset the tpms light. You use the ATEQ Quickset, which allows to you to read the tpms id numbers (via obd2) and change them using a pc (via usb) for reupload.
Just storing the existing ID's and uploading them again will reset the tpms light, at least until the problem happens again. For me this worked great for winter when the cold temperatures made my sensors battery stop working temporarily.

You need a Foxwell NT1001 to diagnose bad tpms sensors and to activate them. Just bringing them up to pressure will not activate new sensors and neither will the cheap GM style tpms activators like on Amazon for $20. I tried that

Old 06-18-2020, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SiXiam
I've become an expert at dealing with Honda Fit TPMS issues.
Without any equipment there is very little you can do, besides checking the pressures.

Generally the tpms light comes on when it can't get a signal from one of the sensors or the tpms computer is broken.
Also if the low pressure light is on too long the tpms light will come on.

Also you can reset the tpms light. You use the ATEQ Quickset, which allows to you to read the tpms id numbers (via obd2) and change them using a pc (via usb) for reupload.
Just storing the existing ID's and uploading them again will reset the tpms light, at least until the problem happens again. For me this worked great for winter when the cold temperatures made my sensors battery stop working temporarily.

You need a Foxwell NT1001 to diagnose bad tpms sensors and to activate them. Just bringing them up to pressure will not activate new sensors and neither will the cheap GM style tpms activators like on Amazon for $20. I tried that
Thanks. I was hoping there'd be a simple reset, but I was afraid it wouldn't be that simple.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gkarasik
Hi,

I have a base model 2012 Fit. I let the tires run down, and now the TPMS light is on. I don't mean the low tire pressure warning. I mean the TPMS light itself. I can find no help for this on the internet. Does anyone know how to reset this?

GaryK
Same happened to my 2010 last winter. Walmart auto center found two sensors with low batteries. Replaced both for $81
I'm sure the other two will go bad within a couple years.
Price included wheel balancing for those two tires also.

Last edited by steve37; 06-18-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by steve37
Same happened to my 2010 last winter. Walmart auto center found two sensors with low batteries. Replaced both for $81
I'm sure the other two will go bad within a couple years.
Price included wheel balancing for those two tires also.
Thanks. I don't have a Walmart tire center, but I do have a Costco. Good suggestion.