2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change done

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 04:53 PM
First oil change done

My first time doing an oil change on a Honda after 20 years on Toyotas.

I'm curious about what the pros/cons are in having side mounted oil drains and oil filters vs bottom.

I threw on a Fumoto valve. The ground clearance is a bit concerning but I'll just be careful I guess.

The specs call for 3.8 quarts. I used what looks to be that much, from a 5 quart container. The oil comes up to about 80% in between the two dots on the dipstick. That sound about right? The previous owner had it above the full dot. I ran it for about 50% of oil life. More than I wanted to but wasn't able to find the time.

The access was surprisingly easier than any Toyota I've had. For some reason Toyotas stick their oil filters near the wheel wells making it a tight squeeze.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
I always added exactly the amount the manual calls for and left it at that. I forget where about on the dip stick that would put the level.

I prefer top mount like on my VW. For bottom mount I usually punch a hole in the bottom of the filter to let it drain some before removing it.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
IDK what happened...

Old 10-14-2020, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
I would guess having the drain and filter be on the side allows the oil pan to be as low as possible, while keeping them from being too exposed to being smashed into by anything you might run over.

I also have the valve on my Fit, I make sure the lever is up and out of the way... also, just in case I run over something. If its something that can break the valve, it can't really be helped. But if it's smaller or softer, just enough to nudge a lever, then this way, the lever is less exposed to that possibility.

3.8 is the specification if you replace the filter at the same time. I also check the level after running the engine for a moment, to get the oil covering the parts. Then I make sure that is above the low mark. Recap, at or just below full when engine has been sitting and just above the low mark while or immediately after engine has been running, for me.

I definitely can't be sure why they had theirs above the full mark, but one possibility is that they wanted it close to the dot after running the engine. Another would be that 3.8 l is too much oil without replacing the filter. That said, supposedly, it's a bad idea to have too much oil.

Edit: I remembered something... if you find you have MORE oil next time you do the oil change... there's a possibility that there's a blown head gasket allowing coolant fluid to get into the oil. This is what happened to me when I was using my brother-in-law's Nissan Pathfinder.

Last edited by Goobers; 10-14-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I would guess having the drain and filter be on the side allows the oil pan to be as low as possible, while keeping them from being too exposed to being smashed into by anything you might run over.

I also have the valve on my Fit, I make sure the lever is up and out of the way... also, just in case I run over something. If its something that can break the valve, it can't really be helped. But if it's smaller or softer, just enough to nudge a lever, then this way, the lever is less exposed to that possibility.

3.8 is the specification if you replace the filter at the same time. I also check the level after running the engine for a moment, to get the oil covering the parts. Then I make sure that is above the low mark. Recap, at or just below full when engine has been sitting and just above the low mark while or immediately after engine has been running, for me.

I definitely can't be sure why they had theirs above the full mark, but one possibility is that they wanted it close to the dot after running the engine. Another would be that 3.8 l is too much oil without replacing the filter. That said, supposedly, it's a bad idea to have too much oil.

Edit: I remembered something... if you find you have MORE oil next time you do the oil change... there's a possibility that there's a blown head gasket allowing coolant fluid to get into the oil. This is what happened to me when I was using my brother-in-law's Nissan Pathfinder.
lord I hope it's not a coolant leak

Old 10-15-2020, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by donlogan
lord I hope it's not a coolant leak
I just mentioned it as one of a few possibilities. Could very well be something else going on or the previous owner made a goof.