2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal? (Regarding high beam and fog light)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 07:05 PM
Is this normal? (Regarding high beam and fog light)

I failed state inspection first time for my 2009 Honda Fit. I know it is old but it still runs great. I might buy a new car this year though.

Back to my question. After the failure, I discovered that when I turn on high beam, both fog lights turn off (or not working if it should work). When I turn on low beam, both fog lights turn on and works great. The dealer wants me to spend $500 on passenger fog light replacement to pass the state inspection. I said it is too much for a decorative light considering the old age of my car and I won't want to. She said there is an alternative. I can remove both foggy lights to pass the state inspection next week since they are decorative lights. So I went home and examine my foggy lights and discover that it works only with low beam. Is this normal by Honda design or something wrong with my Fit? Thanks.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. I just verified on my 13 Fit. Turn on high beams and then the fogs turn off.

So, tell that inspector to sod off 'cause that's how it is supposed to work and tell that tech at the dealer to RTFM.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I'm 95% sure that's a DOT rule to have fog lamps turn off when high beams are in operation. I'm gonna try and find literature to say as much.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
The fog lights are supposed to shut off when the high beams are turned on.

What state do you live in? Are you sure that is why it failed the inspection?

Old 10-20-2022, 08:43 AM
She said the foggy light needs to be replaced to pass the inspection. I examined it after arriving home and found out it does have a hairline crack on the plastic surface but the light works fine. At the dealership, after I said I don't want to pay $500 for a foggy light and asked for the alternative, she said I can pass the exam if I take the foggy light off. Then minutes later when I was leaving, she caught me and added that I should take off foggy lights on both sides. It is no big deal since I only need to unscrew one screw each side. Takes less than two minutes.

Last edited by ArQ1111; 10-20-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:28 AM
As people said, the fog lights are supposed to turn off when you turn the brights on.

And anyone inspecting cars should know this. Can you get it inspected somewhere else?

Old 10-20-2022, 11:03 AM
I already paid for the inspection. All I need to do is to take off the foggy lights before inspection, then she said I will pass. Thinking of the incident, it may be a recommendation than requirement. Every time I went to the dealership for oil change or inspection, they always gave me a list what should be repaired or replaced. In this case, they found a hairline crack on the plastic surface of foggy light. (This is based on what people told me that the dealers should know high beam turn off foggy lights.) I think it is no big deal because it is still working.

Regarding the crack, I began to search Internet on this topic. I found many people are trying to repair the crack on the plastic surface of foggy light. Seeing others' photos, theirs have much serious cracks. Mine is really a hairline crack. I really don't think it is a safety concern but she may have a different opinion. In short, I did not ask for the details why I failed. All I know is that she recommends to replace it. After I refused, she said I can remove both foggy lights to pass the inspection. That is a good enough solution for me, so I stopped asking more questions. Because their workload is heavy this week, I have to return next week for the inspection.

Last edited by ArQ1111; 10-20-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:04 PM
I'd ask them to show you the rule you need to have fog lights. Because you don't.

Old 10-21-2022, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
I'd ask them to show you the rule you need to have fog lights. Because you don't.
I did go to state inspection web site. it said if the foggy lights are not working, you can pass the state inspection by removing the foggy lights. I assumed she interpret the hairline crack on the plastic surface of my foggy light as defective and need to be replaced or removed after many people pointed out dealers won't make this mistake (high beam disable foggy lights).

Last edited by ArQ1111; 10-23-2022 at 06:07 PM.