2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 fit maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 07:52 PM
Mco
2013 fit maintenance question

I just purchased a 2013 fit with only 35k miles. It was not a rebuild. Old woman owned it and never drove it. My question is this: what type of maintenance should be done on this car? The miles are low but it is over 10 years old. Oil change and air filters ate done. Anything else? Transmission fluid? Coolant? Anything else? Thanks

Old 04-21-2024, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mco
I just purchased a 2013 fit with only 35k miles. It was not a rebuild. Old woman owned it and never drove it. My question is this: what type of maintenance should be done on this car? The miles are low but it is over 10 years old. Oil change and air filters ate done. Anything else? Transmission fluid? Coolant? Anything else? Thanks
Transmission fluid
coolant
clutch fluid if manual
brake fluid

I would check the date code on the tires and replace those if more than five years old.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member
Replace all fluids. Inspect spark plugs and valve clearance, replace if needed. Torque spark plugs to the revised torque (20 lbs-ft).

Inspect suspension and end links. Replace if needed. Inspect drive shaft: there is a recall, so if it hasn't been done, you might get new drive shafts for free.

The Progress rear sway bar is a good add-on if you want the car to handle better.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:56 PM
Previous advice is all good. I would also suggest that you replace the engine belt and check the age of the 12v battery or get it load-tested.
The service schedule in the owner's manual has both mileage and time recommendations. Your car is now obviously on the time schedule.
If you check the service schedule, by the time a car is >10 years old pretty much all possible maintenance will have been recommended. If you're cautious, want to keep this car for a long time, and have the funds, it would be worthwhile to do it all.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
^^As above. All good advice.

I would add that you should inspect tires and brakes.

The theory that should be behind your decisions is this: Anything that degrades with time should be inspected/replaced.

1) Valves don't wear on a parked car, but 35k mi. is getting close to the point when you might want to do a valve adjustment/inspection.

2) All fluids

3) All rubber (at the least, inspect hoses and CV boots, etc.)

4) The brake pins are greased. That grease may be a little too old to do its job. Maybe not. Maybe you won't have to do anything until it's time for new brake pads.

Good luck. Have fun. Enjoy spending money on your Fit. I do.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:44 PM
Fit maintenance

Mike 410b
All the above suggestions are just that... suggestions.
With very few exceptions Honda cars are built to last, so doing all the complicated fluid changes really are not necessary. If you are not a motorhead or shadetree mechanic, then have a real mechanic who knows Hondas give it the once over. With the mileage being what it is, it should not need any fluid changes except for: Oil - get a gallon of high quality synthetic oil such as Mobil1 or Amsoil and a quality oil filter such as Wix and change it yourself or hand it off to a competent mechanic. If the tires are more than 5 years old, buy new ones.
Adjust valves...please, a little overkill in my opinion. Serpentine belt, same.
I'd be very surprised if yer mechanic found anything that needs replacement.
My '12 Honda Man Trans, I've had it for 30K miles,(Now 130K), has only needed brakes and coming up soon a chirping like- a- bird serpentine belt, actually a worn out pulley/tensioner; all three will be replaced. Not bad for a car with 130K miles.
Honda Fits are hard to kill.
P.S. There was a recall on one the drive shafts, mine is just fine, but, if it would make you feel better, that is if the shaft(s) is/are rusty, then take it to a Honda dealer and get free shaft replacement.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nik danger
Mike 410b
All the above suggestions are just that... suggestions.
With very few exceptions Honda cars are built to last, so doing all the complicated fluid changes really are not necessary. If you are not a motorhead or shadetree mechanic, then have a real mechanic who knows Hondas give it the once over. With the mileage being what it is, it should not need any fluid changes except for: Oil - get a gallon of high quality synthetic oil such as Mobil1 or Amsoil and a quality oil filter such as Wix and change it yourself or hand it off to a competent mechanic. If the tires are more than 5 years old, buy new ones.
Adjust valves...please, a little overkill in my opinion. Serpentine belt, same.
I'd be very surprised if yer mechanic found anything that needs replacement.
My '12 Honda Man Trans, I've had it for 30K miles,(Now 130K), has only needed brakes and coming up soon a chirping like- a- bird serpentine belt, actually a worn out pulley/tensioner; all three will be replaced. Not bad for a car with 130K miles.
Honda Fits are hard to kill.
P.S. There was a recall on one the drive shafts, mine is just fine, but, if it would make you feel better, that is if the shaft(s) is/are rusty, then take it to a Honda dealer and get free shaft replacement.
The other posters were not making suggestions. Changing the fluids is needed. Coolant breaks down with time, which is why it says to change in miles or years. Brake fluid gets water intrusion from the air. Also it gives you peace of mine and a maintenance schedule. I can tell you the exact date my coolant was changed, when I torqued my spark plugs, when a valve adjustment was made. Most of this is easy to do and is just basic maintenance.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Ok that's all good advice, but let's say you don't want to sink 2k in maintenance right away. You could take it in for whatever service you're sure you want, and then the mechanic will be pleased to inspect the rest for you for free. And you can decide what's next.

I would have the dealer check on those half shafts. The CV joints do get water in them and rust the axle where you can't see. Trust me, I thought I would notice with regular inspections! And yet it ruined my week when one snapped and left the car powerless in a lane on MA Rt 1.

You do want to read up in the forum on spark plug torque. By the 2013 model you may be past that problem (my dad with a 2013 had no trace of if) but most owners would probably want to at least have the plugs checked and make sure they are tightened to spec. Of course then you are down the rabbit hole and your mechanic will obviously suggest changing them as long as he's looking at it.