2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? $1,000 "Market Adjustment" fee????

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Thumbs down WTF? $1,000 "Market Adjustment" fee????

So I went to the dealer today because I was notified of the Fit's release date for next week. They said I should come down and put a $500 deposit on it so I can get one as soon as it arrives.

I get to the dealership, and before I give them my money, I ask about pricing. That's when they tell me that they will be selling the Fit $1000 over MSRP. I asked why and they tell me that it's a market adjustment fee.

So that pretty much shattered my dreams of driving away with a new '09 Fit next week.

I CANNOT justify spending that much for a sub-compact car...no matter how much I like it or want one

This sucks...

Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 PM
1000 bucks = to about 10-20bucks a month extra doesnt seem to bad to break a deal off as such.

I use to sell cars and i never understood why this broke deals so much. Stope eating out 1 night out of the week and theres your 20 bucks a month and more.

And i dont let anything stand in the way of my dreams and neither should u i am sure u can work something out. GL on the 09 as i hope to have mine very soon

Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Fa1
I'm sure that's just typical stealership bs. Look around and you can probably get one for msrp.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
What's your final price with the $1000? If $1000 magically puts the Fit into "too high for subcompact" category, how is $1000 less any better? Seems to me that if an extra $1000 is too much money than maybe you need to be looking at used cars instead. If money is not an issue than you're just shorting yourself by passing up a shot at a wonderful car.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 PM
^ u said it man

Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
You do realize the new Fits are going to be hot like the REAL Fits.
You either wait months to get one or pay what they want you to pay for one right away.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Why are you acting so surprised? Just 6 1/2 hours ago you posted:
Originally Posted by fANTOM
Does anyone know where I can find the invoice price for the 2009 Fit?

I've seen the MSRP, but couldn't find the invoice price
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Are you expecting to buy one for that?
Originally Posted by fANTOM
hell no...I'll be lucky to get for close to MSRP

just curious

Last edited by Cosmo; 08-22-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
just start calling other dealerships near-by. you will find one who will sell at msrp.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
when we went to buy my fiance's fit, it was marked up $1500. when we went to buy my fit, it was marked up $1000. I didn't pay either mark-up. i just said, i'll pay MSRP or I'm going somewhere else. they gave us the cars for MSRP and i got good financing too.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:02 AM
eh people need to stop compaining about price there are too many ways to can get around it i paid 200 over invoice on mine and i will agian when the 09's come out. Do your homework really shop around for a dealship and dont just talk to any salesmen.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
can 1 grand really do THAT much against your wallet?
like someone said above
it's like 15-20 dollars difference a month

Old 08-23-2008, 12:23 AM
when i was selling cars we were always told to break the price down into smaller numbers eaiser to relate to. Like i said above not going out to eat 5 times out of the week only go like 4. I mean if u just cut back a little and i mean a little on some of the other things u will be amazed on how much money can show up in your wallet ready to buy bigger and better things.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by carramrod
when i was selling cars we were always told to break the price down into smaller numbers eaiser to relate to. Like i said above not going out to eat 5 times out of the week only go like 4. I mean if u just cut back a little and i mean a little on some of the other things u will be amazed on how much money can show up in your wallet ready to buy bigger and better things.
Yup...he's going to let less than 67 cents a day get between him and what he wants. That isn't even what a candy bar in a vending machine costs.

Last edited by Cosmo; 08-23-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by carramrod
1000 bucks = to about 10-20bucks a month extra doesnt seem to bad to break a deal off as such.

I use to sell cars and i never understood why this broke deals so much. Stope eating out 1 night out of the week and theres your 20 bucks a month and more.

And i dont let anything stand in the way of my dreams and neither should u i am sure u can work something out. GL on the 09 as i hope to have mine very soon
It is the principal behind it that is bullshit imo. Why the hell should someone just willingly hand over an extra grand for a car to further pad the dealers pockets?

Most people finance a car, that $1,000 becomes much more than $1,000 when all is said and done. Also, that is $1,000 less dollars to invest and earn a return on or $1,000 less dollars to spend on whatever the heck you want to spend it on.

Why should someone have to stop eating out once a week just so the dealer can reap the rewards of your sacrifice? I can understand if you were doing that to save for a vacation or something.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Not sure if my math is correct but to saving 67 cents a day will take over 4yrs to come up with $1000. $1000 is a lot of money, think of all the upgrades you can get for the Fit.
Having said that, no one should pay more than MSRP, unless they really really want it.
To put it into perspective, $1000 diff. on a house may seem like peanuts.
My 2cents worth.

FitLurkerNoMore

Just tell them you'll take your money elsewhere, if you can get a better deal somewhere else then ok, if not and you still just need to have a Fit right now you can come back to the same dealer and accept the price.

Personally I'm in Iraq and put a deposit down on a Fit for January-February time frame, so I'm hoping to get it for around MSRP. If not, I'll do what I suggested. I'll be paying cash however so it's less of a matter of $10 a month or so.

Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by ProMed
It is the principal behind it that is bullshit imo. Why the hell should someone just willingly hand over an extra grand for a car to further pad the dealers pockets?

Most people finance a car, that $1,000 becomes much more than $1,000 when all is said and done. Also, that is $1,000 less dollars to invest and earn a return on or $1,000 less dollars to spend on whatever the heck you want to spend it on.

Why should someone have to stop eating out once a week just so the dealer can reap the rewards of your sacrifice? I can understand if you were doing that to save for a vacation or something.

X2 ... absolute B.S.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:20 AM

I could not agree more. Some people have said "it's only $1,000 more" well I would never pay that kind of blackmail. I own two Fits and the prices for both were arranged over the internet before I set foot in a dealership. One dealer tried to change his agreement, so I walked out, never to return. If the dealer wants to gouge someone, it won't be me. If I had to wait a little longer, to buy one without paying the premium, I would wait. Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:36 AM

So doing what i said not eating out once a week can justify saving up for a vacction but not a CAR!!! wow your logic if flawed my friend.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:38 AM
Retired Moderator
Be patient, wait it out and get one at MSRP.
Unfortunetly dealer Mark-Ups will be really common for a while, while the 09 is stil "new".

Quick Reply: WTF? $1,000 "Market Adjustment" fee????