2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Fit Sport list rear swaybar

Old 09-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I don't understand how a wider grippier tire back there will exacerbate the twitchiness.
It won't if you're only changing the rears.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OrangeRevolution
mahout, I think your stating these as "facts" is a bit tentative. The new Fit Sport is tuned differently, and the tires are a different model. While the tires seem fair, by no means would I characterize them as being the cause of squirreliness in my Fit.

Based on some of my basic measurements and some mild flogging, there appears to be too much slop (for my taste) in the suspension before it takes a set. Granted, I am probably a lot more picky about this than most. The Fit Sport is not too bad once the suspension is fully loaded up, but getting there is sloppy. I am able to intentionally drift the rear out, and it is behaved once it gets there.

I think this car is too new to draw general conclusions on parts that are not yet made or have not yet been installed. I want to thank niko3257 for supplying his/her datapoint on some of the first Fit Sport suspension/tire modifications posted. I also appreaciate mahout for some first impressions and comparisons.

The SP31 Dunlop has been around for at least 10 years. And every time we replaced them on customer complant cars, whatever the vehicle got better handling. Probably by now we have replaced a hundred P31's from equal complaints, including mine.
There's really nothing new about the 09 or 08 Fits. Pretty standard setup.
Our results are the results of stop watch times, not impressions.
If it isn't measured by time, weight, force, or speed, its meaningless. There's no subjective MT,C&D, or R&T 'feeling' here.
From our view the squirrelliness occurs when the tire sidewall doesn't hold the tread square to the road, causing the tire to 'shimmy', 'wobble', or 'waffle', however you want to describe it. The tread contact area changes repeatedly and that is squirreliness that shows on a stopwatch.
The solution has always been to change to a stronger tire regardless of the g forces it generates.