2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jdm center console for 09 fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
I got mine installed just fine last night, even though I ran into a few problems. The bolts for the driver's side armrest were hard as hell to get off. Then I dropped one of the bolts to the E-brake bracket down under the carpet not once, not twice, but 3 times. One time it was so far down there that I had to take the plastic piece off where the back seat bar latches in and get under the carpet from that side. Cutting the holes was very easy, and a 3/4" spade bit worked just fine. I just had to take a sharp knife and make the hole a little bigger afterward. The armrest looks really good, feels comfortable, and the pocket inside is a great place to store my sunglasses.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Anyone Install with MT?

Has anyone done the center console installation on a Fit with an MT? If so, how's it working? Does it get in the way when shifting? The shifter's pretty low compared at least to the driver's side arm rest, so I could see it being a problem.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Fairly easy mod with good payoff

I installed the center console/armrest on my BSP AT Fit Sport this morning. The mod is actually fairly easy to complete, although, like some others, I lost an EB bracket screw under the carpet. Anyway, it's in, it looks good, and it works as advertised. My wife likes to have an armrest when she's riding in the passenger seat, and now she does, and I have a place for my sunglasses. Definitely a worthwhile mod.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned
It's nice to hear all of this good news- my arm rest is on its way to Central Coast, CA from College Hills Honda. I think that the '09 fold down arm rest is a whole lot better than none at all, but the looks and functional design of the Honda accessory rest certainly seems to justify the low College Hills price.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 PM
For those who have done the install, what's the height difference, roughly, between the armrest that comes with the Sport and the new center console?

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Installation Pointer!!

I'm glad to see others are dropping the E-brake bracket bolts down under their carpeting like I did - DOH!!

A very good thing to consider doing when messing with bolts, screws, washers, etc near holes, gaps, etc, is to stick small rags into these holes or gaps during your work.

I remember to do this about 50% of the time, so naturally the ONLY time I drop anything is the other 50% of the time when I forget.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Terrain.org
For those who have done the install, what's the height difference, roughly, between the armrest that comes with the Sport and the new center console?

Thanks.
My accessory rest is due by UPS on 11/6. If nobody else answers your question by then, I will set the new rest in place and measure it compared to the fold-down one and post the answer. I might forget though. If I do, post again to remind me!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Just from eyeballing it, it looks like the new armrest is about 0.5-1.0 inch taller than the stock one.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

Thanks.
My arm rest from College Hills Honda arrived today. I measured the height of the Sport Fold Down arm rest to the top of the center console. Height is 9". I measured the height of the JDM arm rest to the bottom of the flared plastic base that rests on the top of the center console. Height is the same- 9".

Old 11-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks much for checking!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Banned
Thanks much for checking!
You're welcome. This is the answer that I was hoping for myself. The fold down arm rest is right on the verge of being too high. At the same height, the center are rest will be a little better because my arm will rest on it a little further away from the edge of the seat. This is a NICE piece.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:24 PM
I was hoping it would be a bit lower, since I drive a five-speed. Manxman, is yours AT or MT?

Old 11-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned
I was hoping it would be a bit lower, since I drive a five-speed. Manxman, is yours AT or MT?
Mine is AT, so I don't have your immediate concerns about it getting in the way of shifting. But no worries- just flip the whole thing up, back, and out of your way until you are cruising down the freeway.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 PM
For those of you that lost a bolt under the carper, what did you do?

Get another bolt? (If so, from where?)

Or did you just install the one bolt you had left?

I just lost mine and need to know what to do.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by zakurie
For those of you that lost a bolt under the carper, what did you do?

Get another bolt? (If so, from where?)

Or did you just install the one bolt you had left?

I just lost mine and need to know what to do.
Go to an auto parts or hardware store and buy a magnetic pick-up tool. They are about as big around as a pencil, are made of tubing, usually telescoping, with a magnetic tip on one end. they are made for exactly your problem. You bolt is probably about 2" under your carpet, in the little center tunnel that slopes downward toward the back of the car. with the magnetic pick-up tool, it will take you about two seconds to find and pull out your missing bolt. Home Depot and Lowe's have them.

Sorry that that advice doesn't solve your problem tonight. If you have any sort of small magnet of any shape, tape it to the end of a pencil and go fishing with that. Just be careful not to let the magnet stick to your floor and tear loose from the pencil.

Last edited by manxman; 11-14-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:04 PM
This happened to me and I didn't bother with buying a pickup tool.

1) Lift the rear seat;

2) Remove the plastic cover from the where the seat support goes into floor lock;

3) Pull up the rug and reach in and grab the lost bolt.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:46 AM
VanIslFit

Perfect advice.

Thanks!!

Old 11-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned
Buy the magnetic pick up tool anyway- it's only a few bucks, and you'll have hundreds of occasions to use it in the future.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VanIslFit
This happened to me and I didn't bother with buying a pickup tool.

1) Lift the rear seat;

2) Remove the plastic cover from the where the seat support goes into floor lock;

3) Pull up the rug and reach in and grab the lost bolt.
Yup, this is exactly what I did on mine. Well, that was on the 3rd time I dropped the bolt down there! The first two times I was able to reach in by the E-Brake cable and get it.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
For those who own an MT Fit and were thinking of getting this console: The console is the same height as the arm rest that comes with the Fit Sport. But, depending on how far back your seat is, it may end up being shorter than the arm rest. I find that the tip of my elbow rests on the center console when I'm shifting, so I don't find that it really interferes with shifting. However, I'm only 5'7" and sit somewhat close to the steering wheel.

Overall, this is a worthwhile mod, and is a pretty easy DIY. The only 2 downsides with the console is that it makes it harder to buckle up, and using the parking brake. Also, on mine, the hinge for the lid is pretty stiff. Hopefully it will loosen up with time.

Quick Reply: jdm center console for 09 fit?