2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rail Dust: Hidden Paint Killer

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Rail Dust: Hidden Paint Killer

Never knew until about 6 years ago when I bought my S2000. The cars come via rail and the paint gets contaminated with Rail Dust. These tiny rust particles from the railroad imbed in the paint and begin to corrode. Only means of getting them out is using a clay bar.
At this price car I will probably skip it but I am certain many others will want to baby the car and keep it like new so then you really must clay bar it. You will feel the pieces in the paint if you take a piece of plastic saran wrap and slide it over the paint. Then clay bar the area and try it again. All the rust particles will be pulled off with the clay bar.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
The cars are covered with a plastic film that is removed during dealer prep. Doesn't any "rail dust" get cleaned off at this point?

What is a clay bar and where does one get that?

Old 09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I used liquid clay bar I think turtlewax makes it. It really helps to get rid of waterspots and other crap caked on the car after a week of driving. Make sure you use polish or wax after to make it shiny! Get the stuff at any autozone or advance auto parts store.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Fa1
You get plenty of tiny particles embedded into your car each day. You should clay your car at least twice a year depending on the conditions of your environment.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Clay Bar Looks And Feels Like Clay

You spray water and soap mixture on your paint and lightly rub the area until you no longer feel the rough metal pieces sticking out of your paint. To do the job properly figure about 2-3 hours. Once you think your done take the saran wrap test and feel for any roughness.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Unless you live in the snowbelt I don't think you don't need to clay bar that often. I just did my three year old car and it only needed it on the leading edges. Of course I do wax my car monthly.

As far as the rail dust goes, I've never heard of that, ever.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Speaking as a guy who spends a lot of time walking crossties, the steel ground off train wheels and rails usually ends up between the rails.
I would be willing to attribute water marks to damage in transit.
Moon

Old 09-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Out of curiosity, I googled this subject and was surprised to find the following. I guess I learn something every day.

Rail dust causes mircoscopic negative charged dust particles to attach to vehicles positive charged body panels, and begin the onset of premature rust/corrosion. When vehicles are transported from the manufacturer by rail, iron dust particles created by friction between train wheels and the track settle on the finish. When exposed to oxygen and moisture, this dust corrodes and become embedded in the finish.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Rail Dust Is Well Known Among Car Enthusiasts.

Some may not like me on this board but if I put up a post regarding rail dust I didn't simply "dream it up" Rail Dust is a very common problem with cars that many novices are unaware of.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
Some may not like me on this board but if I put up a post regarding rail dust I didn't simply "dream it up" Rail Dust is a very common problem with cars that many novices are unaware of.
To your own self be true, EF being loved by the masses, better to be truly loved by few.

And, yes, rail dust is a big deal.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm guessing really high-zoot stuff may be shipped in hermetically sealed containers, or wrapped in a quarter mile of plastic. It is trouble enough protecting cars in transit from goblins who drop cinderblocks on trains (ever see the 'ghetto grills' on the cab windshields of some urban locomotives?) or the cretins who tag a bazillion bucks worth of spray paint on the sides of rail cars. That paint would be on the vehicles themselves if the twits could get inside the autoracks.
We are talking about relatively inexpensive automobiles here, and for anything that survives the slings and arrows of being driven in Westsylvania wintertime, a little rail dust ain't too big a deal. I powerwash the salt off my rides, and call it done.
If claybar fixes the dreaded rail dust damage, good on ya'.
Moon

Old 09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
slave, is it ok to use a clay on a brand new paint? I mean I have heard that you are suppose to wait 6 months before waxing... Are you suppose to clay it as soon as you get the car? Thanks.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:47 PM
coating

Originally Posted by Virtual
The cars are covered with a plastic film that is removed during dealer prep. Doesn't any "rail dust" get cleaned off at this point?
Perhaps 09s are different but my test drive in an 08 was in a Fit that still had that coating you're talking about. It appeared to be VERY thick. Doubtful rail dust could get through that. Claybars have merits in general however. Lots of general stuff can find your car through it's life. I claybared mine at 6 months and was amazed by the amount of stuff especially on the forward pointed faces.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Trust Me

By the time your car gets assembled, prepped for the ocean voyage, arrival in the US and at your doorstep the paint is plenty dry!! Just make certain NEVER to use a piece you dropped and use SMALL pieces. Also use plenty of soapy water for lubricant and take your time, doing small areas at a time. If done properly the paint will no longer have a rough feel to it when you use the plastic saran wrap test. This will tell you all contaminants have been pulled from the paint by the Clay bar. They are less expensive at an auto body wholesale store but you can get ripped off anywhere and buy a Mothers Clay Bar kit.
GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 PM
remember that clay barring your car will take EVERYTHING off of it, that means that there isn't any wax there to protect the paint. be sure to wax any area that you clay bar.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
just claybar your car, if you have the time, it REALLY makes a difference
and yes, don't forget to wax haha!