2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 Fit Window Tint Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
different states, different laws.

im not saying you shouldn't do it... just forewarning.

(yes a lot of people tint their fronts, but they take the chance.)

Old 09-24-2008, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by mole177
different states, different laws.

im not saying you shouldn't do it... just forewarning.

(yes a lot of people tint their fronts, but they take the chance.)
I've been searching state tint laws and haven't seen anything yet that mentions the front quarter window. Have you seen it anywhere?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
The shop that did my tint told me that the front quarter windows are considered part of the windshield and would be illegal to tint. They were willing to do it so long as I agreed that they weren't responsible and I was aware before hand.

Also, the GE8s look pretty good with dark tint. I want to see a black one with 20% or less.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
dont be surprised if you see a cop cite you for your front tinted windows, you assumed wrong.

shop doesn't say anything so they can get more money for tinting fronts.
Really? Don't doubt it so I guess my tint shop was very upfront with me. Mind you I'm in Ontario Canada, but I think similar rules apply to several regions of the US. I originally wanted 30% tint on the front and those front quarter windows done. Although we don't have anything specific written in law, it does say that the authorities should have a clear view of the vehicle front passengers. This is the second tint place that tells me 35% is the maximum tint they will put on the front, so that must come from customer comments and experience. I tried for darker but the guy wouldn't budge!

Same goes for those little front windows....he just wouldn't allow any level of tint to go on those since "it's the law - no tint on the front windshield and they are considered part of the windshield due to their location in front of the side mirrors"...

Last edited by FitCanada_Girl; 09-24-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by ProMed
I've been searching state tint laws and haven't seen anything yet that mentions the front quarter window. Have you seen it anywhere?
The fact that those front quarter windows are positioned in FRONT of the side mirrors makes them, technically, part of the front windshield. Therefore, legally no tint is allowed (here in Ontario anyways)...

Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I have the Llumar ATC 35 all around except for my windshield. The shop didn't say anything about the front quarter windows, so I'm assuming that all my tint is legal here in California.

I love my tint. Dark grey/green.

What's cool is that even though the hatch window is 35, it looks like almost limo dark due to all the tint of the surrounding windows, so I really don't need a cargo cover now. It obscures anything you have back there.

Actually your tint is illegal in Calirfornia. In california you cannot have the front doors or windshield tinted at all.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
If I had known that I prolly wouldn't have done a tint at all as I like a uniform look.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:59 PM
I have the Llumar ATC 35 all around except for my windshield. The shop didn't say anything about the front quarter windows, so I'm assuming that all my tint is legal here in California.
Like others have said, your tint is illegal in CA:

California Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com

Since stock windows don't pass much more than 70%, it is essentially illegal to tint the front (driver and passenger side) windows at all in California. If you get pulled over, I suggest you roll your windows down before the officer approaches your car, or you'll be pulling your tint off those windows.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
The fact that those front quarter windows are positioned in FRONT of the side mirrors makes them, technically, part of the front windshield. Therefore, legally no tint is allowed (here in Ontario anyways)...
A quick Google:
==========
Ontario - For the driver’s compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed.

I looked at the official text and yes, it is this vague. So basically it is up to the interpretation of the officer who may or may not be having a good day. Again, as has been the case in California, if it doesn't give them a problem, they won't give you a problem. If they can't see in as they approach your car for a traffic stop, that is a potentially life-threatening problem from their perspective. So... if you get pulled over, roll down those front windows even if it is c-c-c-c-old outside.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the link, but what cop is going to be able to discern a 5% difference, especially if he/she did not pull me over for that reason? Mine are 35% which means it lets 65% of the light in.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
for anyone who is interested
Auto Window Tint Laws - TintCenter.com has all state laws

Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
And what is a typical citation for an illegal tint?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
either pay a fine, whatever the amount or peel the tint off, pay $10 for a sheriff's/chp inspection to write it off.

but in other posts, don't be surprised that you get cited for tint.

you won't be targeted if you have tint, its mainly an add on to speeding, rolling through a stop, etc.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the link, but what cop is going to be able to discern a 5% difference, especially if he/she did not pull me over for that reason? Mine are 35% which means it lets 65% of the light in.
No... a 35% tint means it lets 35% of the light in. Since stock windows let in about 75% to start with, the total light transmittance is about 25%.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 PM
And what is a typical citation for an illegal tint?
It's a fix-it ticket. You have to pull the tint and then they sign off.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Can anyone confirm how far down the AS-1 line is on the 09 Fit windshield?

Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 PM
you won't be targeted if you have tint, its mainly an add on to speeding, rolling through a stop, etc.
Yes but it is an excuse to pull someone over, depending on how dickish a cop is feeling.

I just had my tint done. I'll post pics shortly...

Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Ok here are some shots. I had the rear windows done in "dark smoke" - not sure about the percentage. 30% maybe? The fronts are the UV tint - a very light tint that should be legal in CA. The tint guy refuses to tint front windows besides this color so I am pretty sure it's legal. It's not very dark but blocks UV rays and provides a nice glare from the outside. I also had a 5" strip across the top of the windshield in the darkest option. That is one complaint I have so far, the visors don't work very well. I did not have the front quarter windows done but I am thinking about going back and paying the extra $30 since there is a very slight difference in color.

Last edited by cyclefit; 10-23-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Llumar ATR High Performance charcoal color hybrid film (i.e. dyed metallic), 35% front and 15% back:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 Fit Window Tint Thread