2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattles-bye-gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Rattles-bye-gone

Please join me in celebration on locating and fixing all my rattles in my car without taking it to the dealer!! It's now 3x more fun to drive.

Can I get a Woo-hoo??

Old 09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
woo-hoo to you! What did you do to fix it?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Yea I would also like to know where the rattles were and how you fixed them so I can join you in your celebration

Old 09-29-2008, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Aside from 1 rattle a day after delivery that came from a plastic trim piece on one of the rear doors during certain bass frequencies from the radio which I fixed by simply pressing, i.e. shifting the piece slightly...

Driver's door rattle upon certain bass frequencies:

This only rattled during some songs. I took the armrest off and velcroed the hell out of it wherever plastic would meet plastic. But that didn't improve much. The sound came from inside the door where there's a yellowish plastic bag filled with some gel (side airbag???) and that was rattling against the plastic or foam next to it. I stuffed a paper towel between the two, and voila! Noise gone.

Rattles in dash, passenger side:

There were a few minor rattles coming from inside the dash it seemed. I didn't have anyone to drive so I could locate the noises, so I had to take my best guesses. It took 3-4 weeks of constant taking off the lower and upper glove boxes, as well as the lower panel, and reach in with my hand and move cables around, looking for anything loose. I actually think 1 or 2 minor rattles went away either on their own or from me moving stuff around in there.

The last one I found out in the past couple of days came from the passenger lower shroud. I velocroed everywhere where it would make contact with another plastic piece. The noise was then isolated to one of the prongs that fit into a slot. A washboard type of road surface would make the prong knock on the slot. So I velcroed all around that, and now it's completely gone.

It's so relaxing now that I can go over ripply bumps and not freak out. Before I would cringe going over bumps because I couldn't stand hearing the constant rattling. Now it's rattle free!!! Yipee!!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm happy you sorted it out. I know how that can drive some one crazy. I have had no rattles in mine. I think this is the second car I have bought with no rattles (the other being an Acura Integra GSR).

Old 10-01-2008, 12:08 AM
o ya my car rattles but thats cuz i have the music louder than average but not like so loud other ppl can hear me but enough to make my rear view mirror vibrate cuz of bass. -_- but glad to hear you got rid of it WOO HOO CELEBRATE!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 PM
WOOHOO to you! No rattles in my 1 week old Sport but there is a little "creak" from the stereo system. Not sure if I could actually "fix" this but it isn't a major annoyance anyways. My local roads are among the worst ever so rattles/creaks are unavoidable in any car!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
WOOHOO to you! No rattles in my 1 week old Sport but there is a little "creak" from the stereo system. Not sure if I could actually "fix" this but it isn't a major annoyance anyways. My local roads are among the worst ever so rattles/creaks are unavoidable in any car!
I also had a GS-R for a long time and that was rattle free. Nice.

Canada Girl, that creak from behind your radio is probably some cables back there. If you want, remove your lower glove box (by pressing the sides inward to clear the 2 rubber stops) and reach behind the radio to move those noisy cables around. It may take many attempts as it is a trial and error thing.