2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The official Honda Navi Hackers Challenge Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Id love to get rid of that damn ok button everytime i get in my car...

Last edited by Whats A Fit?; 10-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by barams
i think if people threw in a few bucks it would make it worthwhile to the person finding this hack. of course this hack would have a safety feature where if all goes to hell you can revert back to factory settings.

few bucks as in 5-20 per person....
I wuould be glad to throw i8n 20.00 so for someone to hack the navi unit. Jim Tubbs new 2009 Sp0ort AT with navi

Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Some info I found on another site...

"I've personally discussed this issue with the top people at Honda. They are completely aware of our feelings on this issue. They are very clear that they made the decision to eliminate the trip computer functions because when people could see their MPG on demand it resulted in lower customer satisfaction ratings.

(So they fudge the "BSM" data instead? Do they think we can't do the math?)

Honda will not budge on the issue. Not a chance.

The Ridgeline has always been missing one component (a fuel meter) that would have been required to make the system fully functional, but that data (although not as accurate) is still available via OBDII data.

There have been several software updates to the navigation system since this thread was started. I can't say exactly what has happened, but it appears that Honda/Alpine has taken additional steps to make sure none of the features can be enabled.
I wish this issue had a different ending."

Honda... We don't Care HOW ACCURATE IT IS... WE know IT'S JUST ANOTHER idiot gauge...but we want it anyway!!!!!

This is NOT a copyright issue, or software piracy, or even a legal issue... We just want the functionality the system is capable of!!! Thats ALL!!!

Honda...U want customer dis-satisfaction? Keep locking up functionality!!!

GEES! Ya would think they were VERIZON Wireless or something... ARRG!

Well!!! It looks like the gloves are off! We'll need a hacker with the determination to crack this thing wide open!

Hence this thread... any takers?

Last edited by Hipshot; 10-08-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hipshot
GEES! Ya would think they were VERIZON Wireless or something... ARRG!
That's the exact comparison I was thinking of with them disabling the full features.
I know the cell phone hackers have been successful in hacking most of their phones and enabling most features.

If a pool is started I'm in too. This is unfair.

What about swapping out units with a Civic or a different compatible unit? Truly a more expensive option but would it work?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know if the Civic navigation unit will word in place of the 2009 Fit navigation? It seems that it might be cheaper to just replace the unit. Thank you. Jim Tubbs jimtubbs@aol.com

Old 10-28-2008, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
bump

Originally Posted by Jim Tubbs
Does anyone know if the Civic navigation unit will word in place of the 2009 Fit navigation? It seems that it might be cheaper to just replace the unit. Thank you. Jim Tubbs jimtubbs@aol.com

If it works that will be a good option, but if prices on the current Navi are any indication this will be atleast 3g's...
I dunno if it would be worth it at that price..

some one gotta hack this eventually.....

Old 10-28-2008, 06:03 PM
agreed...
Think about all little things Verizon "kept" from its users when they FINALLY put Bluetooth on their phones. I mean; was it really that hard to enable OBEX file transfer!

Same with Honda.I love my 09 Fit w/ navi but it does lack some other basic functioalities (mentioned all over this site) that are had on a much less expensive Garmin.

Oh well...my sales guy told me Honda may offer a Bluetooth upgrade for next year. Not sure how they will do that (unless the compatibility is already there) without adding hardware or replacing the current fit navi system.

maybe some one will hack it by then.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
In for the hack. I was really dissapointed they didn't have a XM option. WTH? Esspecially after our salesman told us it did. When we got the car and found out it wasn't there, all he could say is "All the other honda models have it, I guess the fit is the only one that doesn't...Sorry" I was so mad.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:54 PM
bump bump !!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:51 AM
If functionality is just locked out I wonder how hard it would be to copy the firmware from a civic unit and install it onto the fit unit. If they are the same exact models then that should not be an issue. I don't know how the firmware is held on the unit whether it is a removable eeprom chip or if it is a soldered on chip. I am sure they would incorporate some way of re writing the bios to the unit without have to resolder a new chip to it. I am just thinking out loud hopefully someone will get some ideas from this.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
A while back, I found a video (on youtube I think) of a guy showing how to change the spash screen on the 2006 Civic navi, and now I can't find it.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Retired Moderator
bump........

Old 11-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Was it this site click? If you look around there is a video. That is the uppermost page of the instruction if I remember correctly.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I am a bit skeptical that there are features available that only need to be enabled by hacking the firmware. It would be in Honda's best interest to enable these extra features if all it involves is flipping the right bits. Perhaps licensing the technology would have made the price of the car increase a bit, but even then it could be offered as an upgrade. I am sure Honda would have taken advantage of that had it been an option.

Even XM has a huge incentive to have Honda enable the XM part of the Navi since they get monthly income from every subscriber.

My guess is, it is physically different than the civic models.

Anyhow, I plan to try to mod the firmware to disable that stinking OK button. I will keep everyone posted.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Civic vs Fit navi

They seem to be exactly the sane both in demisions and plug in. Thyank you for the effort. Jim Tubbs jimtubbs@aol.com

Old 11-12-2008, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hipshot
So who thinks they can break the code and enable the trip computer?

Who's up to the challenge?
I would do it but, theres some legal issues when it comes to modifying the software that four other companies own.

Does the Fit come with the navigation DVD CD?

Last edited by Neebs; 11-12-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dtrotzjr
I am a bit skeptical that there are features available that only need to be enabled by hacking the firmware. It would be in Honda's best interest to enable these extra features if all it involves is flipping the right bits. Perhaps licensing the technology would have made the price of the car increase a bit, but even then it could be offered as an upgrade. I am sure Honda would have taken advantage of that had it been an option.

Even XM has a huge incentive to have Honda enable the XM part of the Navi since they get monthly income from every subscriber.

My guess is, it is physically different than the civic models.

Anyhow, I plan to try to mod the firmware to disable that stinking OK button. I will keep everyone posted.
If the nav unit is the same across both models, then we should expect the same part number for both units. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
In previous threads it was mentioned that the Navi is the same as the Fit's, a part # would definately confirm that.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ght=Navi+Civic
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ght=Navi+Civic
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ght=Navi+Civic
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ght=Navi+Civic

And since the Civic's is not as "disabled" a swap might be possible?

It was also mentioned that the Fit's Nav uses a DVD.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
I had to look up the part #'s on Bernardi

09 Fit Sport Navi part # 39540-TK6-305ZA

09 Civic EX (NV) part # 39540-SNA-305ZA

The part #'s are almost the same. Does anyone know what the middle set (TK6, SNA) stand for?

According to the Bernardi parts locator, both Navi units are made by Alpine, I believe a different post said Kenwood.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, the different part numbers proves nothing (even though I first thought it would). Even if the units were identical, the disabled functions on the Fit unit require it to have a different P/N, or there would be no way of knowing who gets what (i.e., Civic owners might get unit without activated bluetooth and vice versa).

Quick Reply: The official Honda Navi Hackers Challenge Thread!