2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield flaws

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Windshield flaws

Is it just me is the 09 windshield not totally clear like glass. It seems to have a slight film tint that makes angle views a little cloudy. I have cleaned the windshield in/out and the look is still there.

Could it be my windshield have imperfections? Like the glass did not cure all the way?

Or does the windshield have this characteristics?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M1kevtec
Is it just me is the 09 windshield not totally clear like glass. It seems to have a slight film tint that makes angle views a little cloudy. I have cleaned the windshield in/out and the look is still there.

Could it be my windshield have imperfections? Like the glass did not cure all the way?

Or does the windshield have this characteristics?

I think mine is pretty clear, but it is made to block UV rays. Maybe you're seeing something to do with that. Clean it good, and ask some friends.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by MPGASAP
I think mine is pretty clear, but it is made to block UV rays. Maybe you're seeing something to do with that. Clean it good, and ask some friends.

You have to give me more credit than that. It has been cleaned with Honda Glass Cleaner.

My wife, neighbor, and I are seeing the same thing. It seems to be oil base substance that was absorbed by the glass. It clouds your vision enough to give you a headache while driving.

Thanks for you input.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Mine is clear. No problems at all.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
You have to give me more credit than that. It has been cleaned with Honda Glass Cleaner.

My wife, neighbor, and I are seeing the same thing. It seems to be oil base substance that was absorbed by the glass. It clouds your vision enough to give you a headache while driving.

Thanks for you input.
I give you all the credit in the world brother.
You'll have to clean it many more times before this is through.
Luckily your friends do see it.
This is one of those terrible warranty issues that is some what subjective.
It will be difficult to prove perhaps. You will have to be persistent.
Try some Windex Seriously though if it is an oil base try some simple green or bug&tar remover

Old 10-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Is it splotchy?? My 08 has this splotchy haze that occurs in the mornings or when it's raining and there is moisture on the windshield. I thought maybe it was just the crappy wipers but if others are having this problem, I might have to try and degrease the windshield...maybe try cleaning it with some light kerosine.

Interesting bit about the oil?!? never heard of that.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by silviaracer
Is it splotchy?? My 08 has this splotchy haze that occurs in the mornings or when it's raining and there is moisture on the windshield. I thought maybe it was just the crappy wipers but if others are having this problem, I might have to try and degrease the windshield...maybe try cleaning it with some light kerosine.

Rubbing alcohol would be better than kerosene.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:53 PM
mine is fine.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by silviaracer

My 08 does this exact same thing!!! It is extremely annoying!

Wipers + Wiper fluid don't get it. Defroster doesn't get it. I have tried to clean it multiple times, and it is still there!

Usually I see it on a warm, humid night. I have seen it during the day, but it is WAY more noticeable at night.

My splotch is right in the middle of the windshield, about 3 inches above the dash. The splotch has a diameter of about 3-5 inches. And that is the only place it appears.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:22 AM
update

I drove the 60 miles to my nearest dealership. They told me it looks like some type of film or oil base residue that might have stained the glass.

Option one:

They will try to clean it out tomorrow with acid based solution.

Option two:

When Honda starts delivering their 2009 windshield, they will replace it at my convenience.

They also gave me a loaner -- 2008 Volvo XC90....full tank. On my way out the door, Gene Miller, the manager, extends don't worry about filling it up.

I think it was worth the trip and possibly worth 1 OEM windshield credit. I will hang on to it until I really need it.

I tried to take pics but it was really hard. We stuck a magnifying glass to it and it looks like really blotchy water spots. Kinda gives you that drunk perspective.

Either way, I will post the update.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Yes....exactly. Mine was from rearview mirror to passenger side...As wide as 20" in some areas.

Gives my wife a headache which is never good for a 2009 CAR.....maybe they let me trade it for NAV auto they have....is the VSA and NAV worth it? even if its at dealers cost?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Update

Dealer just called.....

There's several layers of laminate which makes up the windshield. From their expert Honda tech, he says he believes its the third layer that has flawed during curing which cause the liquid to dry in blotches. You can't tell until light shines through from the outside due to the layer being a very thin one but with the right angles, its pretty distorted view.

Windshield is in national back order.....my option is to keep the fit at the dealer until the glass comes in and keep the volvo xc90....which i don't mind driving. Or to pick up the fit and bring it back once the glass arrives.

I think i should run up all the miles on the volvo and save some miles on the fit...but gas is only 18-20mpg.....

what do you guys think....i drive about 300 miles a week...any suggestions?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I would probably keep the volvo. I wouldn't wanna give myself a headache every time I drive.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Dealer just called.....

There's several layers of laminate which makes up the windshield. From their expert Honda tech, he says he believes its the third layer that has flawed during curing which cause the liquid to dry in blotches. You can't tell until light shines through from the outside due to the layer being a very thin one but with the right angles, its pretty distorted view.

Windshield is in national back order.....my option is to keep the fit at the dealer until the glass comes in and keep the volvo xc90....which i don't mind driving. Or to pick up the fit and bring it back once the glass arrives.

I think i should run up all the miles on the volvo and save some miles on the fit...but gas is only 18-20mpg.....

what do you guys think....i drive about 300 miles a week...any suggestions?
Funny, I noticed this exact problem with the loaner 2009 Tidewater LX I was driving! Thought I was going nuts as no amount of windshield washer would get rid of that splotch. I'm not sure if my own Orange Sport has this as I drive in/from work and it's dark. It was most noticeable on the LX in bright sunlight, kind of on an angle...

Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Retired Moderator
Drive the Volvo untill they fix it for you...

Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Sounds like a defect on many windshield during manufacturing. I hope mine is ok. I shall get it next week.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Its been 1 week since I've dropped the FIT off......I've spent over 80 bux in gas vs my 30 a week fill up with the FIT...

I'm calling the dealership tomorrow...I want my FIT back...

I didn't buy a brand new car so it could sit at the dealership.