2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded the Horn in 2009 Fit today. Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 AM
just new here, my jazz/fit doesnt have a pop-top cover like this:
http://i34.tinypic.com/zwgw79.jpg
how can i expose the horn area???

i already have a replacement stebel nautilus horn.

TIA

Old 03-17-2009, 04:49 AM
Awww the Asian model Fit/Jazz doesn't have that grill cover. Its a single piece whole bumper so we gotta remove the whole bumper 1st. Argh!

Name:  DSC05297.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  47.6 KB

Old 03-17-2009, 05:22 AM
thank you very much sir, do you have any DIY for removing the bumper??
a picture is worth a thousand bucks for this kind of mods.

i really want to change the horns, stock horns are so polite to beep...

also got a question regarding the lights... seems to flicker whenever air conditioning or auxiliary fan turns on, any suggestions?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by jtest
thank you very much sir, do you have any DIY for removing the bumper??
a picture is worth a thousand bucks for this kind of mods.

i really want to change the horns, stock horns are so polite to beep...

also got a question regarding the lights... seems to flicker whenever air conditioning or auxiliary fan turns on, any suggestions?

+1 On the OEM horns, Very faint beep. Changed mine to a Stebel Nautilus

I think the flicker is normal, even on our other cars it happens.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Accord Low Horn

I replaced my Fit 09 neep - neep horn with the Accord Low Horn.

It was very easy. The grill is held in place by buttons - pry up the center of the button and it will release its springs. The rest is easy. The Accord horn cost about $16.00.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Super Easy

Replaced mine with the low note Accord horn this afternoon. Took all of 10 minutes, and very simple to do. I'd encourage all Fit owners to swap out the horn -- if not with fancy duals, then at least with an Accord unit. Literally plug and play.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by abgenre
Here is a quick video of the new horn install in my Fit.

I used the same horn listed on this thread. It took about an hour to do and was well worth the $25.00.

Check out the video.
YouTube - Upgraded Honda Fit horn
Hey, I'm new here, but saw your video...what horn did you install? Like it alot...

Old 04-10-2009, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Taffeta Fit
Hey, I'm new here, but saw your video...what horn did you install? Like it alot...
The horns are Fiamm and the model is El Grande.

By the way
I have the Zeta door sills, great buy. I love 'em.
Name:  1237315344.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  19.5 KBName:  1237315343.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  13.3 KB

Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi Fitfreaks. I would like to attempt this diy but I don't know a thing about this stuff, so despite the instructions and pictures, I have some utterly stupid and basic questions before I attempt this project that will likely take me 5 times longer than the average person
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. What gauge wire should I be using? “Decent gauge” wire doesn't mean much to me. Is 16 or 14 ok?
  2. Do I need a special crimping tool to crimp the wire into the connectors? Can I do it with regular pliers?
  3. Do the female connectors snap into the tabs on the relay, and if so, is there a certain size connector I need?
  4. Each horn has two posts, one of the posts has a connecting tab; Am I correct that a wire is run from the connecting tab on each horn to the two gold tabs (#87) on the relay?
  5. What are the other posts on the horn for, the ones without the connecting tabs on them?
  6. I plan to connect a fused line (20 amp) to the battery terminal at the fourth bolt, where there is already a white wire connected. What is that white wire, and what do I do with it?
  7. How should I route this new wire from the relay to the battery?
  8. I know I connect terminal 85 to a ground, do I also need to ground the horn?
  9. The purple stock horn wire connects to terminal 86 right? “small male blade connector that you'd need to snip down narrow enough to fit the stock horn connector “ This is if I don't want to cut the wire right? So it's basically a wire with a male on one side stuck into the stock connector, and a female on the other side connected to the relay?
  10. I should probably disconnect the battery before I do all this right?
  11. “grounding the relay to the horns with one of the spade terminal tabs they came with”
    Does this mean connecting the grounding terminal (85) to the bolt that the horns are mounted on? Is this the only grounding I need to do?
  12. The horns came with 4 of those spade tabs. Is there anything else I should be using them for?

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting to ask, I'll probably be back asking more stupid questions during my attempt. Thanks for bearing with me in my absolute novice attempt at this installation. Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Fitfreaks.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Ok, I've done a bit of research and found the answers to many of my basic questions.
I will use 12 gauge wire, and use a crimping tool. I need female ¼ inch connectors, yellow to accommodate the 12 awg. I will wire the tabs on the horn to the two #87 tabs (also with yellow ¼ inch connectors), the other posts are for grounding. I still do not know if I need to connect these, or if mounting the horns will suffice as a ground. Disconnecting the battery is probably a good idea.
I was going to power the relay by connecting with a yellow 1/4” ring connector on the rightmost terminal post where there is currently a white wire. I'm not sure how the ring connector will fit with this wire that is already there, so I plan to connect it to the post next to that one, third from the left.

So what I still need to know is, do I have to ground the horns from the little ground posts, or is mounting the horn enough to serve as a ground? And if I do have to ground the horns with those little posts, what kind of connector do I need to attach and stay on those little posts?

Is it ok to power the relay (with a 20amp inline fuse) from the positive terminal post that is third from the left? What else does that terminal power?

Is it ok to use the 12 gauge wire to connect to the stock horn switch that runs from an 18 gauge wire?

Thanks