2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

avic f90bt in 09

Old 12-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by reako
Same answer....you won't find a GPS receiver that gets map data from satellites. May I suggest reading a brief description on the fundamentals of GPS which may help formulate your question?
HowStuffWorks "How GPS Receivers Work"

Flash memory is memory that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed. More information about this here:
Flash memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The F90 stores map data on flash memory. This allows map data updates by simply overwriting these areas directly, as opposed to buying an expensive new DVD after years of development.
Ok i not going to lie. i am new to gps stuff. i dont know shiet about gps.
my co worker were tellling me why he got a kenwood because it was gps was from the satellite or whatever as oppose to how pioneer got it from the hard drive.
and the reason the hard drive is bad choice to go with, because if a certain part of the hard drive is bad than that part of the map will not be available, as if you got it from the satellite, it will never go bad. but this was for the older model of pioneer, he doesnt know if the newer model of pioneer stil use hard drive or go from satellite.
that why i asked that, but i have no idea anymore or who or what to believe.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 713_fit
Ok i not going to lie. i am new to gps stuff. i dont know shiet about gps.
my co worker were tellling me why he got a kenwood because it was gps was from the satellite or whatever as oppose to how pioneer got it from the hard drive.
and the reason the hard drive is bad choice to go with, because if a certain part of the hard drive is bad than that part of the map will not be available, as if you got it from the satellite, it will never go bad. but this was for the older model of pioneer, he doesnt know if the newer model of pioneer stil use hard drive or go from satellite.
that why i asked that, but i have no idea anymore or who or what to believe.

LMAO. That is some of the funniest shit i've ever heard.

First off your Avic F siries works off flash memory. And unlike a HD it doesn't get areas corrupted in the same way. his kenwood also doesn't work through sattelites the way he's saying either. No stereo works that way. There are 3 ways. 1.) HD 2.) Flash 3.) CD. The third one being like the AVIC D series. The downside to those was in you wanted to program in a destination the CD for that area had to be in. So that meant that your DVD or music CD had to come out. With the HD or flash based system this isn't neccesary. Pretty much any portable navi you see on the shelf used a flashed based system.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by bigtoepfer
LMAO. That is some of the funniest shit i've ever heard.

First off your Avic F siries works off flash memory. And unlike a HD it doesn't get areas corrupted in the same way. his kenwood also doesn't work through sattelites the way he's saying either. No stereo works that way. There are 3 ways. 1.) HD 2.) Flash 3.) CD. The third one being like the AVIC D series. The downside to those was in you wanted to program in a destination the CD for that area had to be in. So that meant that your DVD or music CD had to come out. With the HD or flash based system this isn't neccesary. Pretty much any portable navi you see on the shelf used a flashed based system.
wow. thank you.
understood now.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
wow. thank you.
understood now.
I wasn't laughing at you. I was just laughing at your friend. So as not to cause confusion. Like it actually brought a little tear to my eye. lol

Old 12-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by bigtoepfer
I wasn't laughing at you. I was just laughing at your friend. So as not to cause confusion. Like it actually brought a little tear to my eye. lol
dont really care who u were laughing at
but seriously..i learned a lot from your thread
thanks for the reply
it was really informative and i think i understand it a lot better now
so flash memory is the best option to go with
cd is trouble some
hard drive is bad if part of the drive is corrupted

Old 12-26-2008, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
dont really care who u were laughing at
but seriously..i learned a lot from your thread
thanks for the reply
it was really informative and i think i understand it a lot better now
so flash memory is the best option to go with
cd is trouble some
hard drive is bad if part of the drive is corrupted
well flash = very yes.

But the CD wasn't that bad cuz i use and Ipod anyway.

And as far as the HD goes while understandable that it could become corrupted. But I've seen AVIC Z1s from way back with HUGE systems beating all the time and they had no hard drive corruption. The benifit of the HD is that alot of them have extra space which you can store music on. Normally in the AVIC Z series for sure it had the option of ripping the CDs to the HD. Which was neat because they had voice recognition and you could pull up the songs on the HD by just calling them out.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Thumbs up Looks good!

Well rehkopf, you are the catalyst for several of us upgrading the factory non-NAVI headunits.

I like everything about it, but I have realized that after doing some more research, I don't like the large knob on the Pioneer. It is just too funky looking for me. Also, the Pioneer doesn't do 3-D view on NAV and it's proprietary (not Garmin).

I think I'm going to do everything you did except go with a Kenwood unit instead.

Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:09 PM
well before you go with kenwood just know that pioneer does have the 3d setting as well, and with the knob i guess they make it that big so you can turn it and push it easier, pushing it enables the voice activation feature, "change source to ipod," "change artist to the beatles" that sort of thing
i do love my garmin even still though
next mod is gonna be homelink so questions to fly soon!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 11:40 PM
i was about to say um yeah it does to garmin. And not its not proprietary the Pioneer is basically navteq

Old 01-01-2009, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
- Where are the GPS receiver, mic and backup camera placed?
- Did U install yourself? Was it difficult to do?
- Did you hook up to the speed sensor lead? what color & where is it?
- Where did U hook up the lead for reverse?
- Is it necessary to hook up to the parking sensor?

Originally Posted by rehkopf
what's the big deal, I thought this was supposed to be difficult. factory nav panel works perfect, used a universal bracket to support the back and a new honda wiring harness. got xm, ipod, bluetooth, voice activation, rear camera etc, it looks stock!
PICS BELOW ON MY MYSPACE!

Old 01-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Post I'm getting this same thing installed tomorrow . . .

Originally Posted by vwli
- Where are the GPS receiver, mic and backup camera placed?
- Did U install yourself? Was it difficult to do?
- Did you hook up to the speed sensor lead? what color & where is it?
- Where did U hook up the lead for reverse?
- Is it necessary to hook up to the parking sensor?
I'm just waiting for the NAV Panel from Honda. I had them FEDEX it for tomorrow morning.

I'm not getting the backup camera like rehkopf, but those usually go above (at the top of) the rear license plate.

The installers already looked at my car and said they'd put the mic on the ceiling in the middle above the rear view mirror and near the maplights.

The GPS antenna will be placed on the dash or just under it.

I'll try to post some pics after I have it done.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:04 PM
i took my car to a local stereo shop anticipating all the problems people have been having but they didn't have any problems, i've hooked up plenty of head units in my day but i didn't want to get stuck as i've never hooked up one with nav and such, i'm sorry i don't have the answers to your questions

Old 01-01-2009, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
DO NOT put the GPS antennae under the dash. if you put it dead center and forward of the dash it will be perfect. Was in the GD and will be in the GE i'm not sure about the GE but the GD actually had a nice flat spot that was perfect for it.

Yes you do need to hook up the parking brake one of two ways. Either to the parking brake so that you can pull it so you can enter destinations for navi or watch movies. Or if the install or yourself is knowledgible you can bypass it so you can watch movies and enter navi data at any time (disclaimer: Please note watching movies or entering navi data while rolling is dumb and can be deadly just FYI) If you want the information on how to bypass it visit AVIC411.com there is an amazing wealth of info there and those guys know everything there is to know about AVIC series pioneers.

The reverse lead isn't neccesary unless you plan to add a backup camera. It was a purple wire with white strip in the GD if i rememebr correctly located somewhere near the console.

As far as speed sense i don't know in the GE. It should be located in your new harness since the radios come with the ability to get louder as you speed up. Just need to find out what color. This information is all over the web. I just don't have time to look it up right now. Also that should be listed on the little paper manual that came with your after market harness. If you bought metra or schoshe.

From what people are saying about the navi kit from honda this seems to be a much easier install than in the GD bodies. Which also wasn't that hard of an install.

Like they said the back up camera the best place is slightly above the lisence plate (spelling?) This is something thats best to have two people for so one can position and one can sit inside and see whats best. This can be easy or difficult depending on the brand of camera. What he was saying about mic placement is best. Best all around this is where it was located in my GD.

I think that was everything. Let me know if u need something else

Old 01-01-2009, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
How much they charge for installation?

Originally Posted by rehkopf
i took my car to a local stereo shop anticipating all the problems people have been having but they didn't have any problems, i've hooked up plenty of head units in my day but i didn't want to get stuck as i've never hooked up one with nav and such, i'm sorry i don't have the answers to your questions

Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vwli
How much they charge for installation?
For an installation like this. I'd expect to pay about $100 unless you want camera too. Then i'd expect something more like $150 depends on the place. For the unit itself i wouldn't pay more than $120. Keep in mind there is quite a bit involved. And some places if you ask nice or throw a little money their way they'll bypass it for you

Old 01-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Question My installation . . . Some questions

They quoted me $100 for the entire installation.

And I'll tell him on top of the dash for the GPS antenna.

bigtoepfer: Will the installer already know about the parking brake thing or do I have to tell him???

When I first asked him for the installation quote, he asked me what model I was getting and where I was buying it. He said he'd match any online price so I told him Amazon for $650 and he matched it. Sure I have to pay him tax, but there's something to be said for supporting a local shop ... and he said if anything went wrong in the first 30 days, he'd swap it out for a brand new one with no questions asked.

I agreed to buy the unit and the install from him and just asked if he was sure he had that one for Friday. He pointed to a stack of 10 of them on his shelf and said they put them in all the time and its one of his most popular stereos.

So do I assume if he puts a lot of them in, he'll know about all the parking brake stuff?? I had no idea about this and now I'm worried cause I just want this thing over and done with tomorrow.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
yeah he would know all about it. What you need to decide in about the bypass and if you want it. Its not bad for the stereo just for you health if u act a fool LOL. I bypass all of mine so i can enter destinations for navi anytime i want. I never really watched DVDs on mine.

Which one are you getting for $650? I mean either way its good. But if its the f90 then awesome. Also ask him to make sure that the f90 comes with its 2 year warranty since its a premier unit. it better

Ask him if he'll bypass it and see what he says. He should be good enough if he has done a few to be able to do it with no problems. I'm pretty sure you're going to like it.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:10 PM
The Pionner

ok.

The sheet he gave me says:

AVICF900BT Pioner 2 din dvd w/nav $650
Labor $100
harness $14.99
antenna $9.99
tax $45.56
total $820.54

Now I'm also asking him to put the ipod cable on it cause I like to use it now too. I think he said $30 parts and labor on that.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
um. since its only 100 install i wouldn't complain about the 30 total on the ipod thingy but its soo easy. all he has to do is drop it in your glove box and you can hide the ipod in the glovebox. He shouldn't charge but it seems like a good price over all to me. Since its the 900 its just pioneer so it only has a 1 year manufacturers warranty. Which is fine. And the 30 days thing he was talking about is nice too.

Looks good. I'd say go for it. like i said just ask if he included bypassing it and if he will do it. most local shops do.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:42 PM
how the load up time on this thing?
i heard it slow?
my installer telling me go with kenwood 512 or 5120

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: avic f90bt in 09