2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket or other way to reduce road noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 PM
hi, any news on noise deadening?
i've got a 2011 honda jazz and i vaguely intend to add some noise insulating cover to the wheel wells. i did notice that some rubberised material is already added there. also, on the exterior part of the wheel wells there is a plastic covering. i was wondering if the noise isn't (partly) due to those, and i mean the noise of stones/gravel hitting it from beneath, but also the general tyre noise which reverberates in it. a guy from a car service told me that he may try to add insulating material (foam or else) between the metal wheel wells and those plastic coverings.

i was wondering if this really might help. anyone has tried this procedure?

Old 04-22-2021, 11:37 AM
Soundproof barriers have the ability to block traffic noise and absorb traffic noise from outside. Another factor that will play a key role in the performance of these noise barriers is coverage. If you are working or sleeping indoors and do not want to hear traffic noise from the outside, then you have to use these curtains to cover every part, especially the windows and all openings.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
exactly + a hundred pounds of sound deadening does hurt MPG and engine power to some degree.

However with that said the like 8 year newer design of the GE8 I think has paid off in noticeable improvements in NVH (noise vibration and harshness?) due to clever engineering versus added on weight.
Some fancy large cars have as much as 400 lbs of sound deadening material. That wouldn't do on a 2200 lb Fit.

When I bought mine new I had it rustproofed partly to make it quieter. I also installed a cargo area cover to keep the sound down in back and a set of those form fitted floor mats. Nothing helps but everything helps. Ultimately one can only do so much for an economy car. Some luxoboats even have double layer glass to keep them quiet.

Old 05-07-2021, 05:37 PM
I got a box of Kilmat from amazon and just did the easy spots like around the spare and the rest of the truck like wheel wells. Just take off that one back piece and you can reach a lot. Did the doors when adding new speakers. Through a piece just under the floor mat since I did not feel like taking the seats out. I think it helps a lot.

Also as said - new tires helped a ton. I got buy 3 get 1 plus free install on some kumho ecsta 4x ii at pep boys. 195s. Great tires actually.

Heck if you are if you are in Denver you can have the rest of the box.

Last edited by Dougfit; 05-08-2021 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
You guys are resurrecting an old post but this is near and dear to my heart so I'll throw in suggestion

I have experimented with sound reducing materials in many places. You can do two things which work together:
1) A vibration reducer like dynamat that prevents metal panels from flexing to transmit noise
2) A decoupler that is generally made of rubber (costly) or foam (cheaper) and disappates sound energy before it gets to your ears.

I did one thing at a time and the most surprisingly effective things were:
  1. Driver/passenger footwell - the firewall in this car is very close to you and the engine is just on the other side of that, and the engine compartment is open to the highway on the bottom
  2. Rear portion of the rear floor - where the seats are mounted "on top of" the rear suspension cross member. Honestly you can just stuff a sleeping bag or something up under there if you don't want to pull up the carpet

I did many other places but those were the most effective. Many people like the trunk, but while it was satisfying to cover up all that bare metal, I didn't notice a massive difference. Your mileage may vary. I have never pulled the headliner or the entire floor carpet; I'm sure that would be a very effective move but a lot of work. The door panels are a lot of work too, but do make a difference in the sense that the car doors slam with a much more quality sound.

Old 08-06-2021, 01:45 AM
reduce road noise

Whether you are a noisy person or a person who wants to enjoy a quiet time, we recommend road noise barriers for road noise cancellation. Also known as noise barrier tarps, these barriers absorb noise and can also prevent them from passing from road to residential areas. With these noise barrier, road noise cancellation or reducing road noise in garden becomes easy. You cannot see sound, but sound works like light. If the obstruction will block the line of sight between you and the noise source, it will also block the sound.