2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

iPod Classic 4th Gen + 09 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:54 PM
iPod Classic 4th Gen + 09 Fit

I apologize if I've missed something, but I've searched the threads and couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

1) I just purchased an '09 Fit Sport w/ Navi.

2) I have a 4th generation iPod Classic.

In the manual, although it makes no mention of 4th generation anything being compatible, it does state "iPod Classic" as being compatible.

I've upgraded the firmware, reset and restored, and still it's coming up as "unsupported".

Should this be compatible or do I need to finally buy a new iPod?

Old 02-09-2009, 02:29 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Not listed as unsupported, but my color iPod is not supported either. My Touch works fine. It doesn't seems to like iPod with hard drive.

It's much cheaper to buy 8G USB stick. Unless you really needed a new iPod.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow, that sucks. The USB thumb drive wouldn't be a bad idea, if not for the fact that it's a pain to find music that iTunes has already sorted in 50 different folders.

As far as technical support to get a definitive answer - Apple or the dealer (I have a feeling they don't know anything)?

I'd be willing to sell my current iPod and get whatever iPod will work, provided it's under $150 or so.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by superfriend
Wow, that sucks. The USB thumb drive wouldn't be a bad idea, if not for the fact that it's a pain to find music that iTunes has already sorted in 50 different folders.

As far as technical support to get a definitive answer - Apple or the dealer (I have a feeling they don't know anything)?

I'd be willing to sell my current iPod and get whatever iPod will work, provided it's under $150 or so.
I've lost track of how old a 4th gen classic would be but I'd be surprised if it didn't at least play music through the docking connector. You could also try using the aux input and the microphone output. The issue I've had is with not charging. It seems even some of the more recent audio units use FireWire to charge, thus not charging compatible without an adapter (which I've have and that works to charge). You might have the reverse problem, that is, the 09 Fit connector is expecting USB and your iPod may have firewire. Again, I thought this might be more of a charging problem.

New Nano iPods are less than $150. (from $149 :-)

Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
4th generation classic came out around '02 or '03.

I have a feeling I'm just missing some fix i can perform on the iPod itself, but am to dumb to realize (again, i've restored, updated firmware and reset).

I have both USB and Firewire cables for my iPod. But what's odd is that it will charge the iPod, but the Navi screen just displays "Unsupported".

Does anyone think that buying a 6th generation or later iPod (i need at least 40GB) would definitely work?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I have both USB and Firewire cables for my iPod. But what's odd is that it will charge the iPod, but the Navi screen just displays "Unsupported".
Hmm. Do you have your iPod sync'ed to a PC? Just curious, if yes, I wonder if the format isn't compatible (not FAT32?). If yes, do you have the iPod set to mount as hard drive mode?? I'm just guessing now.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
Hmm. Do you have your iPod sync'ed to a PC? Just curious, if yes, I wonder if the format isn't compatible (not FAT32?). If yes, do you have the iPod set to mount as hard drive mode?? I'm just guessing now.
Originally, I had my iPod configured to manage songs manually, so no, it wasn't autosync'd.

As far as having it set to mound as a hard drive - I'm not sure where that's configured.

Also, it looks like my firmware is 3.1.1 - does that sound right? The Honda manual makes no reference of any firmware beginning with anything but a "1".

Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally, I had my iPod configured to manage songs manually, so no, it wasn't autosync'd.
No, what I meant is are you using Windows? If you are using Windows and have it set to use disk mode maybe the formatting is wrong. Unchecking 'Use Disk mode' in the summary tab might help?? The Fit Navi unit may be seeing your iPod as a USB thumb drive...

Also, it looks like my firmware is 3.1.1 - does that sound right? The Honda manual makes no reference of any firmware beginning with anything but a "1".
I couldn't find the current ipod firmware version number on the Apple website? 3.x.x seems a little high from what I read but may be correct, i.e. the latest.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
The 4th gen is not a classic, because they didn't start calling them classics until the 6th gen (when the iPod touch and iPhone came out). You probably won't be able to get it to work.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
The 4th gen is not a classic, because they didn't start calling them classics until the 6th gen (when the iPod touch and iPhone came out). You probably won't be able to get it to work.

So what does that make what I have? A relic?

Okay, so, if I grab a 6th gen (I'm looking at the 80GB which I can get a pretty good deal on), which if I'm understanding you correctly is truly a classic, then I should be kosher.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
CBX
Yes, the newest one is called the Classic (gen 6) and will work. I have a gen5, gen5.5, and Nano gen2, which all work fine.

A couple of them displayed "Unsupported" on first connection, then worked fine subsequently.

Here is the chart from the '09 manual;

Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by CBX
Yes, the newest one is called the Classic (gen 6) and will work. I have a gen5, gen5.5, and Nano gen2, which all work fine.

A couple of them displayed "Unsupported" on first connection, then worked fine subsequently.

Here is the chart from the '09 manual;
Perfect, thank you! So confusing... I guess it was about time to upgrade anyhow.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:51 AM
Ein
5 Year Member

Use this to sync your iTune library with a USB drive, if you are using a Mac.

iTuneMyWalkman

It works for me. You can get a 8G flash drive for $15.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
So what does that make what I have? A relic?
Back then it was nice and simple, and it was just called an iPod. Since they came out with a few newer models (the nano, touch, iPhone), I guess they needed a way to distinguish old faithful, hence the name classic. The 80 GB one you are looking at will work fine, I have one myself. If you're interested in using genius playlists on it, I would recommend getting the new 120GB classic (7th gen now I guess), since the 6th gen classic (80 and 160GB) don't have the software to create genius playlists right on the iPod (although you can make a genius playlist on the computer, then transer that playlist over to the iPod).

Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Back then it was nice and simple, and it was just called an iPod. Since they came out with a few newer models (the nano, touch, iPhone), I guess they needed a way to distinguish old faithful, hence the name classic. The 80 GB one you are looking at will work fine, I have one myself. If you're interested in using genius playlists on it, I would recommend getting the new 120GB classic (7th gen now I guess), since the 6th gen classic (80 and 160GB) don't have the software to create genius playlists right on the iPod (although you can make a genius playlist on the computer, then transer that playlist over to the iPod).
Well, I've got an 80GB 6th gen on the way, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I only first heard of genius playlists upon updating iTunes for the first time in over a year the other day. Still have no idea what they are.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I've got an 80GB 6th gen on the way, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I only first heard of genius playlists upon updating iTunes for the first time in over a year the other day. Still have no idea what they are.
Basically, if you enable the genius playlist in iTunes, it'll take some time and compile information on your music library, and group songs that sound similar together. That way, you can start playing any song, then click the genius button (it looks like an atom), and it'll automatically create a playlist of songs that sound similar to the one you played. It works fairly well actually.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks to everyone for their help. I just got my 80GB 6th gen iPod and it worked immediately. So basically, don't bother hooking up an iPod classic any older than that.

Question for anyone with iPod + Navi: when you're listening to a song by an artist then want to switch to a song from a different album by that same artist, it doesn't seem to navigate like a regular iPod. Meaning, I can't just go back and view all albums by that artist once the song is playing. I have to go search for that artist all over again.

Other than that, I'm very pleased - beats listening to the radio for the past week.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
So basically, don't bother hooking up an iPod classic any older than that.
The 80GB (and 160GB) is the oldest model of the Classic. If you are talking about classic as in the style, and not the name, the 5th generation iPods (aka iPod video) work just fine, per the Fit user manual.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
PCMCIA Card works really well

I bought an 8 GB Compact Flash card and a PCMCIA adapter - loaded all of my unprotected music and it works perfectly. Includes the titles of the songs on the Navi display.

My Old iPod doesn't work but my iPhone does work but receiving calls freaks everything out.

I also added an XM radio between the MP3 plug and lighter adapter. I use the MP3 as input. When using the MP3 input the USB input is shut down. It seems you can only use one or the other. I sneaked the antenna under the glove box and up to the front of the dash under the leading edge of the windshield (inside). It works great!

Old 03-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Updated information

PCMCIA Card - apparently there is a compatibility issue and only the Sandisk 6-1 has been tested. The one I bought kept locking up.

I am using an 8 GB usb memory stick with the songs on it and it works great.

Switching between aux and USB it can be done with the CD/Aux button NOT the audio button and touch screen.

I have a 3G iPhone and 2nd generation iPod which is why I am playing around with the USB and PCMCIA.

Eventually I will pick up a used iPod and keep it in the car but I have over 16GB of music so I need a big one.