2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Power.....

Just curious if this has been happening to anyone else...
I got my fit about 300 miles on it so far give or take. Well Im sitting there tonight and parked in front of a building with my lights on and every few minutes or so i get a surge that some what dims the lights. Afterwards the lights will go back to full power but its noticable. This also happens on the road.
My question is has this happened to anyone before
Is it my battery?
or another problem to be addressed.

Thanks ahead

Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 PM
GE8
5 Year Member
its the fan kicking on on. mine does it alot also. its nothing to worry about its just the charging system losing volatge when the fan turns on.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah. I get this too. Nothing to worry about.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 PM
is there a way to fix it?

I mean at first i thought it was some cool thing that happened when cars with their lights on came head on but it does this.

Alternator?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:52 PM
I wonder if the T1R V-Power 2 Voltage Stabilizer will help, but I'm not sure though...

Type One Racing :: Engine :: T1R V-Power 2 Voltage Stabilizer (Blue)

"The T1R V-Power Voltage Stabilizer regulates the voltage of the car's electrical system, providing constant voltage at all times. Normally the electrical system's voltage will fluctuate under acceleration resulting in power loss and rough power delivery. The Voltage Stabilizer eliminates this voltage fluctuation, providing a constant voltage, thereby smoothening power delivery and optimizing power. Low rpm performance is improved noticeably, with improved response, acceleration, and smoothness. Fuel economy is also improved, especially for city driving conditions. Available in 2 colours i.e. blue & purple."

Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Mine does this too, its normal. Since the fit's battery is more smaller and has less power than a bigger car it does this. I think there was a post about someone switching their battery to optima battery i think

Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
I bet the AC is on or defrost is selected. Check to see if you have the heater vent selector is at heat/defrost or defrost position. If it is then that is what is causing the cycling.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
yes it's perfectly normal. this site will answer your question along with several other ones you might find yourself having!
Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site

Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by OEMfit
I wonder if the T1R V-Power 2 Voltage Stabilizer will help, but I'm not sure though...

"The T1R V-Power Voltage Stabilizer regulates the voltage of the car's electrical system, providing constant voltage at all times. Normally the electrical system's voltage will fluctuate under acceleration resulting in power loss and rough power delivery. The Voltage Stabilizer eliminates this voltage fluctuation, providing a constant voltage, thereby smoothening power delivery and optimizing power. Low rpm performance is improved noticeably, with improved response, acceleration, and smoothness. Fuel economy is also improved, especially for city driving conditions. Available in 2 colours i.e. blue & purple."
Anyone have thoughts on this?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed the issue within a day of ownership, asked the same question on the forum, and got pretty much the same response (that it's normal). After doing some research on my own, I now beg to differ with that conclusion.

Several years ago, Honda began using an ELD (electric load detector) to reduce alternator output when it was not needed, and then switch to a higher power output when things like the a/c clutch engage. The issue is discussed ad-nauseum on the four cylinder Accord threads on this and other forums, as these cars exhibit the same headlight dim. There is even a technical bulletin describing replacement of the ELD due to a weld defect. In two cases that I read about, owners of these four cylinder Accords won a buyback. Honda maintained that it is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle, but the mediator ruled that it was a defect and Honda had to buy back these two cars. I guess it's more cost effective to lose on a case-by-case basis, rather than issue a recall (since headlight operation is arguably a safety item).

I've been planning to drop a 51R battery (500 CCA) into my Fit to see if it stabilizes the headlight dim, and to have more cranking power for cold mornings. I've been sick with gall stones and haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will. I've even considered asking the dealer to replace me ELD, except I don't want them touching my electrical system unless absolutely necessary.

At the end of the day, I won't be exercising heroic measures (aside from a bigger battery) to mitigate the problem, but I refuse to call the problem "normal", even though it presents on many vehicles (four cylinder especially), generally to a much lesser degree than our GE Fits.

Basically, it's an engineering defect that I can't do much about except live with it. I'm sure others may disagree with my perspective.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by badself
I noticed the issue within a day of ownership, asked the same question on the forum, and got pretty much the same response (that it's normal). After doing some research on my own, I now beg to differ with that conclusion.

Several years ago, Honda began using an ELD (electric load detector) to reduce alternator output when it was not needed, and then switch to a higher power output when things like the a/c clutch engage. The issue is discussed ad-nauseum on the four cylinder Accord threads on this and other forums, as these cars exhibit the same headlight dim. There is even a technical bulletin describing replacement of the ELD due to a weld defect. In two cases that I read about, owners of these four cylinder Accords won a buyback. Honda maintained that it is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle, but the mediator ruled that it was a defect and Honda had to buy back these two cars. I guess it's more cost effective to lose on a case-by-case basis, rather than issue a recall (since headlight operation is arguably a safety item).

I've been planning to drop a 51R battery (500 CCA) into my Fit to see if it stabilizes the headlight dim, and to have more cranking power for cold mornings. I've been sick with gall stones and haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will. I've even considered asking the dealer to replace me ELD, except I don't want them touching my electrical system unless absolutely necessary.

At the end of the day, I won't be exercising heroic measures (aside from a bigger battery) to mitigate the problem, but I refuse to call the problem "normal", even though it presents on many vehicles (four cylinder especially), generally to a much lesser degree than our GE Fits.

Basically, it's an engineering defect that I can't do much about except live with it. I'm sure others may disagree with my perspective.
Hey badself,

You write well, and it is refreshing----

Nice post. I have not noticed the problems mentioned in this thread, but I intend to buy the yellow top D51R Optima battery anyway simply because according to other threads, it fits, and is a "real" battery with design features that probably will fill the engineering voids created in this car by Honda.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blythe
Anyone have thoughts on this?
yeah. it's snake oil

Old 02-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
yeah. it's snake oil
And that's why n00bs like me love the internet

Old 02-25-2009, 11:42 PM
From doctordoom's official Honda link above:
Is it normal for my head lights to dim slightly and then come back to normal while my car is stopped at a light?
This is a normal characteristic and is caused by variations in the electrical system created by the onboard computer. The computer controls the output of the electrical charging system to improve fuel economy and minimize vehicle vibration.

While the engine is at idle, the computer monitors the electrical usage of the car and then controls the electrical charging system so that it charges just enough to keep up with demand. This change reduces the load on the engine and, in turn, increases fuel economy and reduces vehicle vibration. As electrical accessories turn on and off, the computer changes the rate of electrical charge in response to the changes in demand for electricity. As the computer responds to the addition of electrical load, you may notice a momentary dimming of the lights. For example, the headlights or instrument panel lights may briefly dim as the air conditioning cycles on.
I could see the circuit being a bit slow to respond (hysteresis) to changes in load, thus the temporary dimming. The rationale sounds plausible anyway...

Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
yup, AND it happens in other make vehicles as well.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I would like to know if this still happens even after soemone installs a new battery..

Thanks for the input guys and keep it goin.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OEMfit

interesting but it doesnt seem necessary really. all cars lights will dim when there is a power surge. just natural