2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
"Today"... I spun my wheels like crazy everywhere I went, thanks to the flurry we got around Chicago.

Or maybe I just spun ONE wheel?

Which got me thinking... LSD?

edit: Honestly, I did a quick search on LSDs earlier and the price I saw is a bit off-putting. So, for the time being, this post is limited to basically questioning whether it would've helped or what effect it would have.

Last edited by Goobers; 03-02-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Anthony C
Just purchased an 09 MT Fit and could not believe how uncomfortable the stock shift knob was. Well it turns out someone peeled off all the original rubber.

So I swapped it out for my trusty old Nardi Personal Knob. I got from the Nardi booth at sema back in 06. I've had this thing on every MT car I've owned.
Stock shift knob SUCKS haa! Hated it. Good job on the Nardi. I'm rocking a Circuit Hero knob right now. Weighted shift knobs FTW.

Originally Posted by Goobers
"Today"... I spun my wheels like crazy everywhere I went, thanks to the flurry we got around Chicago.

Or maybe I just spun ONE wheel?

Which got me thinking... LSD?

edit: Honestly, I did a quick search on LSDs earlier and the price I saw is a bit off-putting. So, for the time being, this post is limited to basically questioning whether it would've helped or what effect it would have.
Umm yeah, def not worth the money unless you're a dedicated track driver.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spryter
Replaced my block heater cord. We'll see if this one does better. Last one got torn in two places. No wonder it didn't do anything for cold starts. I'm going to try starting it cold tomorrow to see if it works. Morning temps are in the -30 range, so if it works, it was probably the block heater this whole time.

I still have to button up the cord properly, but I'm going to wait for spring to do that. Once I know I can undo it, and if it doesn't go back in place right away, I don't need to worry about getting it back in right away.
Where in AB are you? I've been wondering about mine lately, as it still has a bit of a struggle starting up even when plugged in for a couple hours.

Maybe at some point it just gets so damn cold that even a block heater won't help entirely.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Nothing directly to the fit today (been raining for the past few days)
But, I added a little something new to match my red badges!
Name:  106630EA-931F-4B12-AC1A-5D3F787AC819.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  147.8 KB

Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MEATBABY
Umm yeah, def not worth the money unless you're a dedicated track driver.
But the road IS my track!

lol, j/k.

Unfortunately, in general, I'm wayyy to aggressive on the pedal. Had to use 2nd in the later half of the evening to get anywhere from stop.

I really hate this winter.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
Where in AB are you? I've been wondering about mine lately, as it still has a bit of a struggle starting up even when plugged in for a couple hours.

Maybe at some point it just gets so damn cold that even a block heater won't help entirely.
I'm up in Grande Prairie. Last night it was plugged in since midnight. Just went to start it and it didn't go at all. At least I can get a free boost from Honda Plus. About -27 us the point I think the battery freezes to the point that it won't start.

I think a Civic battery will fit in the battery box, so I'm going to swap one in when spring comes, and I can afford to get the alarm/starter reset at the same time. 100 more CCAs should do the trick, I hope.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Although I did mine today too, wife's CIVIC was notable. Although it is run almost every day, the mice have been busy again loading up the cabin air filter. Not sure where all of the fiber comes from but they like it. It is in a "sealed" garage overnight, so when the cat can't get in, the will play.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 PM
New wheels! Konig Heliums, 15x6.5, 11.2 pounds, bronze!

Lets compare, shall we?

Bought the car Dec 2012

Freshened up the steelies summer-ish 2013

Now we have the nice fresh lightweight rims! Feb 28 2014

I love the look. Annoyingly, many of the local v6 and v8 car owners feel the need to throw revs at me now. Dunno why, I never race any of them.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
13fit:
Your "money shot" is too dark to see your wheels. Maybe I'll go big next time and get better wheels.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
13fit:
Your "money shot" is too dark to see your wheels. Maybe I'll go big next time and get better wheels.
I can see them on here, perhaps your screen brightness is low?

They feel great! I noticed a difference in 1-4 gears. 5th, hard to tell, we dont make enough power to have fun in 5th

Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
I can see them on here, perhaps your screen brightness is low?

They feel great! I noticed a difference in 1-4 gears. 5th, hard to tell, we dont make enough power to have fun in 5th
Sure you can, just have to be goin' fast!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Administrator
It's been raining all weekend but when it cleared up I was able to refinish my headlights on both my cars.

It's been almost a year since I did this last for both cars.

Taped up my Fit

Used my Porter Cable 7424XP, 3" Orange pad, and Chemical Guys Cut 1.0

Finished it off with the Chemical Guys sealant

After pics, lights look brand new again

Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Careful on those Heliums. I've heard of them cracking spokes more than once.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Waizzz
It's been raining all weekend but when it cleared up I was able to refinish my headlights on both my cars.

It's been almost a year since I did this last for both cars.
Looks great Waiz! I need that for mine The clear coat is a little messed up on the top of one of mine-- I think it was from the spray I used to remove the adhesive from my vinyl I had on the hood.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Zeebrah.
Looks great Waiz! I need that for mine The clear coat is a little messed up on the top of one of mine-- I think it was from the spray I used to remove the adhesive from my vinyl I had on the hood.
I will take a look for you at the meet Z, we can see what you need

Old 03-03-2014, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
Little update on this whole starting issue. I've read some sources, and apparently the batteries for the first couple years in GEs are just rubbish. Its time for a new one anyways, so I'm going to get one from a local shop (which my sister-in-law works at), and see if I can't get more CCAs for less (she quoted something like $75 + core for her price, which we will get.)

Also, the guy that boosted the car (for the fourth time in seven days) said "See you tomorrow!" when he left. Just gotta pull through until Friday (which means starting the car every few hours in the night). Killing my oil life and burning a ton of extra fuel, but I'd rather not walk to work in this horrendous cold.

Come spring time, I'll be doing a little tuck work on the block heater cord. Any suggestions to keep it flopping out of the front grille? I'd like to have it hidden when I don't need it, but easy to get at come winter.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Waizzz
I will take a look for you at the meet Z, we can see what you need
Fasho! Lookin' forward to it!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Little update on this whole starting issue. I've read some sources, and apparently the batteries for the first couple years in GEs are just rubbish. Its time for a new one anyways, so I'm going to get one from a local shop (which my sister-in-law works at), and see if I can't get more CCAs for less (she quoted something like $75 + core for her price, which we will get.)

Also, the guy that boosted the car (for the fourth time in seven days) said "See you tomorrow!" when he left. Just gotta pull through until Friday (which means starting the car every few hours in the night). Killing my oil life and burning a ton of extra fuel, but I'd rather not walk to work in this horrendous cold.

Come spring time, I'll be doing a little tuck work on the block heater cord. Any suggestions to keep it flopping out of the front grille? I'd like to have it hidden when I don't need it, but easy to get at come winter.
Let me know what kind of battery you end up going with. When it comes time for me to replace mine, I'll probably get something similar to you. I've never had my fit not start yet, but it has definitely struggled a few times... It's just so damn cold right now.

If you have time, take your fit out for a 30 min or more highway drive to recharge the battery a little right before you park it for the night. I've noticed my morning start is a little better after I do this.

Didn't your cord come with a cap that ties onto the grill? I have the AC mesh grill made of gutter guard that holds the cord in place, and i can tuck it behind the mesh to hide during the summer. Right now it just sticks out like a tongue lol.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Little update on this whole starting issue. I've read some sources, and apparently the batteries for the first couple years in GEs are just rubbish. Its time for a new one anyways, so I'm going to get one from a local shop (which my sister-in-law works at), and see if I can't get more CCAs for less (she quoted something like $75 + core for her price, which we will...
OEM battery on my 09' got about 4 1/2 yrs of life, then i replaced it with a Duracell battery at the local Batteryplus for about 100 bucks, right beside the cell phone batteries and AA's (true story)

Last edited by SBFT09; 03-03-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Careful on those Heliums. I've heard of them cracking spokes more than once.

every rim on the market has the opportunity to crack if certain conditions are met.

With these 15s, Id probably need some VERY sticky tires and very stiff suspension (bushings, springs, swaybar, chassis bracing) to push them to their limits

Which means I might push them to their limits within the next few years lol

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?