2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacement speakers; looking for natural timbre

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
replacement speakers; looking for natural timbre

Like several others, I’m not terribly happy with the sound from the speakers on my ‘09 Fit Sport. Many instruments lack proper timbre, and even if the volume is turned up I often have trouble hearing the details of the performance. I’m not looking for strong bass or loud sound overall, just natural sound with good, accurate timbre, and an even frequency response along the spectrum. I’m hoping I can get this by keeping the stock head unit and simply replacing the front speakers, or perhaps the rear ones as well. Has anyone found speakers that easily (i.e., without any cutting or splicing) replace the stocks, that don’t require more power than the stock head unit can deliver, and that have these sound qualities?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Every single thread I've read here asking about replacing the speakers and keeping the head unit has ended with the OP being talked into a new head unit first.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:04 PM
my friend replaced his speakers and then added an amp to power them. he kept the stock HU. I have stock speakers in mine, but a pioneer HU, and I think mine sounds a little more balanced. Although his is probably more accurate.

The stock HU will most likely not have enough juice to power the speakers w/o an amp. Another thing that would probably help a lot is sound deadening. I've heard amazing stories about how much it helps.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
Every single thread I've read here asking about replacing the speakers and keeping the head unit has ended with the OP being talked into a new head unit first.

but i have my stock nav and yes with out an amp it sucked but after i put in an amp all was well no need for aftermarket HU unless you want one ill take pictures tomorrow to show u all

Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Interstate526
my friend replaced his speakers and then added an amp to power them. he kept the stock HU. I have stock speakers in mine, but a pioneer HU, and I think mine sounds a little more balanced. Although his is probably more accurate.

The stock HU will most likely not have enough juice to power the speakers w/o an amp. Another thing that would probably help a lot is sound deadening. I've heard amazing stories about how much it helps.
I replaced the stock speakers front and rear with Polk Audio db 651s. I did not change the HU. After sound deadening, I am quite happy with the result. See my sound deadening post:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-step-1-a.html

Old 04-19-2009, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your advice/suggestions. vwli, your experience is especially encouraging, as I’d like to keep this as simple as possible. Ideally I’d like simply to hand the speakers to my dealer and have them do the install. Did you use the slim-mount or deep-mount db651s? Another ‘09 Fit thread on the subject mentions that some cutting was required to install these speakers, but that they fit under the stock grilles. Is that what you found? That same thread says that if you order from Crutchfield the wiring harness that ships with them lets you avoid splicing.

Btw, does anyone know the rms power rating for the stock system. The advertised claim of a “160-watt sound system” surely uses some misleading way of measuring power output.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Great thread!

Many years ago, I had MB Quart in my truck. These speakers were awesome. Not sure if they still make the same quality. I bought these speakers and then my place did the install.

I understand your plight. Quite frankly, everything I read on car stereos involves a system with a subwoofer and an over emphasis on bass frequencies. I do not think a car (and it's limited space) needs a subwoofer but to each their own. Unless you're listening to rap, 90% of the music is in the midrange.

I listen to 300B and 45 SET amps (1920s/30s era tubes) at home on vintage Altecs, btw. Musical sound is a big deal for me and they still haven't done better at reproducing music than pre-WWII triodes (imho).

Does McIntosh still make car stereos? Might be some good stuff but pricey. I thought about a vintage McIntosh unit but then I would lose (maybe) the dreaded aux/ipod/xm connectivity which I loathe but my SO mandates.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
Thanks everyone for your advice/suggestions. vwli, your experience is especially encouraging, as I’d like to keep this as simple as possible. Ideally I’d like simply to hand the speakers to my dealer and have them do the install. Did you use the slim-mount or deep-mount db651s? Another ‘09 Fit thread on the subject mentions that some cutting was required to install these speakers, but that they fit under the stock grilles. Is that what you found? That same thread says that if you order from Crutchfield the wiring harness that ships with them lets you avoid splicing.

Btw, does anyone know the rms power rating for the stock system. The advertised claim of a “160-watt sound system” surely uses some misleading way of measuring power output.
It was the slim mount that I installed. I ordered it through Crutchfield. They came with mounting brackets and wire harness. There is no need to splice the speaker wires. But you do need to drill 3 mounting holes on each door. No cutting is required. Everything fits fine. I don't know how much the dealer is going to charge you. One time I went to Car Toys and they quoted me $60 installation fee per pair. It is not a difficult DIY project.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vwli
It was the slim mount that I installed. I ordered it through Crutchfield. They came with mounting brackets and wire harness. There is no need to splice the speaker wires. But you do need to drill 3 mounting holes on each door. No cutting is required. Everything fits fine. I don't know how much the dealer is going to charge you. One time I went to Car Toys and they quoted me $60 installation fee per pair. It is not a difficult DIY project.
Thanks again. I'm handy with this kind of thing, but I live in the city and wouldn't want to work on my car on the street where everyone would see what I'm installing. Plus I read on another thread that it's a good idea to have special tools to take the doors apart, and I'd rather not invest in these.