2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Adding keyless to US Base 2009 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:53 PM
I got the keyless entry blank. Programed it to lock and unlock the car. Had it cut. Now the key works BUT the engine will start but dies. The locksmith said there is a chip inside the key that needs to be programed or it might not even have a chip. Any ideas??

Old 08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Yes, there is an immobilizer chip in the key. The dealer has to program it to align with your car. If you go to page 2, the pdf explains this.

Last edited by fmcfad01; 08-25-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks

Thanks for your input. I wish I had known before but I think I can get my dealer to program if for free.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Is there any compelling reason to get the keyless entry key rather than just getting a security system installed that will also do they keyless entry and lights/horn flashing thing?

I mean, given, a security system will probably run... $300-400 but... I don't see a point in getting the keyless entry key and spending the money for that PLUS a security system which I'm planning on getting.

Given, if you don't want/need a security system, that's another matter, but I feel that I need it.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by interestingstuff
security system installed that will also do they keyless entry and lights/horn flashing thing?
You can buy the electronic module to activate the security system in the Base Fit which does what you're describing. Search for Part number 08E50-TK6-100 on College Hills or Bernardi's website. It's about $120, plus the cost of upgrading to keyless. Me, I prefer not to add aftermarket electronics to today's cars if I can avoid it. Too many subtle ways to screw up the electronics/computer, grounding, etc.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the Keyless Fob tip!

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who gave advice on this topic. Picked up my new Fit Base MT today, and came home to find the Fob/Key blank in the mail from College Hills Honda, which I bought per info from this thread. Programmed it in a few secs, and now have remote lock/unlock for fraction of dealer option.

Can't wait to find more cool ways to trick out my new ride!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
no panic button

I easily programmed my new key to lock and unlock doors on my '09 base, but the panic button does nothing. Anyone know how to set panic? I followed pgethea's instructions (which worked like a charm, thanks). The lock/unlock feature is by far the most important, but I wouldn't mind having having panic button too.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by scfonta
I easily programmed my new key to lock and unlock doors on my '09 base, but the panic button does nothing. Anyone know how to set panic? I followed pgethea's instructions (which worked like a charm, thanks). The lock/unlock feature is by far the most important, but I wouldn't mind having having panic button too.
This is just a guess, but that may require installing the security system control box.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by scfonta
I clicked the panic button the first time and thought that it didn't work. But I tried holding it down a little longer and it worked and scared the crap out of me. It works but I think they program the button so that you don't hit the button on accident and set off the panic.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Retrofit09
I clicked the panic button the first time and thought that it didn't work. But I tried holding it down a little longer and it worked and scared the crap out of me. It works but I think they program the button so that you don't hit the button on accident and set off the panic.
cool...disregard my guess above then!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Banned
Got my key today. Decided to just make it in to a remote after seeing how long it was (about 1/2 inch longer than the standard key).

I wrapped the remote part with masking tape then stuck the key part in the vise and cut it off with a Dremel tool. Cleaned it up a bit with a file.

Key might have been nice but I really didn't feel like hassling with getting it programed. Programing the remote was easy! I just had to remember to take the key out of the ignition before the remote would work. Total cost for keyless on my base Fit $21.

Took me a while to find this post. This would be a good one to make a sticky.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
panic button

My panic button did indeed work when I pressed and held it for a moment. Who said the horn was wimpy? Sounded pretty loud to me!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Yup, I tried again and held it down. It works!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Pgethea's instructions worked on the first try, thanks bud! Now I just gotta take it to the dealer to cut and align the immobilizer! I don't wanna dremmel and use it as a fob. I don't like carrying lots of stuff in my pockets.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned
Talk to the salesman you got your car from. You can probably get it done pretty cheap. The guy I bought my car from acted like they do it a lot for free or very little cost.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Old 09-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Chad T
Talk to the salesman you got your car from. You can probably get it done pretty cheap. The guy I bought my car from acted like they do it a lot for free or very little cost.
I talked to the Director of Service and he agreed to do both my keys for free. Win.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Got one blank key fob and was able to program in seconds. Thank you for the information. Keyless remote works great. Now, I just need to get the key cut and programmed.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Has anyone tried 3rd party keys, for instance from amazon?

I can buy 2 of those for $30. A single keyless entry blank from college hills honda is currently listed at $108. I'm thinking that even if there's only a 50% chance that a key from amazon will work, then i could try a couple of times for the same price as the OE key..

I plan to just cut the key part off as I'm fine with the existing key and just want a fob.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread. But i didn't want to start a new one on the exact same topic.

Thanks in advance. =)

Old 04-28-2019, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
You guys are awesome! I'm so glad that I followed the directions and now have keyless entry. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Adding keyless to US Base 2009 Fit