2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Adding keyless to US Base 2009 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Adding keyless to US Base 2009 Fit

Hi everyone,
I know this has been covered before, but the information is spread across a couple threads and was not completely verified, so I though it might be helpful to people to consolidate it all here.
I just bought an 09 Base Manual Fit and wanted to add keyless entry. My dealer said $350, Bernardiparts.com has the item for $108 (an unprogrammed, uncut key with buttons).
There is a cheaper option, though. For about $40 you can buy the key (Part 35111-SWA-306) and program the buttons yourself using the instructions below. Note that this is the same key that fits a 2007 CR-V.

This will only program the keyless entry part of the FOB. Then you can have your dealer (or maybe a locksmith) cut and program the key to work with your car and you are all set.

An even cheaper option is to cut the key part off the new key, leaving you with a remote, and use your original key to start the car. Some people prefer to have a remote separate from the key, some don't. I do, so I went with this option, so for only $40, I have added keyless entry to my Base Fit.

PROGRAMMING THE REMOTE TRANSMITTER (KEYFOB):

NOTE: It is important to maintain the time limits between the steps. Make sure the doors, the hood and the hatch are closed.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II)
2. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock button.
3. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

4. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
5. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock button.
6. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

7. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
8. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock button.
9. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

10. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
11. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock button.
12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators within 1 to 4 seconds, then push the transmitter lock button again, or the code will not be stored.

13. Within 10 seconds, press the transmitter lock button on any other fob you wish to program. Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.

14. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the key.

15. Confirm proper operation with the transmitters.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 AM
On a 2009, the Honda dealership must program the key. They have to use the HDS to do it.

Locally, it cost me $97 + tax to get the cut and program done, they didn't bother with charging me for the cut, because it's still 1hr minimum of diagnosis time when they use the HDS. I think it came out to $104 for the cut and program of all four keys.

Total, I paid $78 for two keys shipped, then $104 for the cut and program.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Keyless Entry for Base 2009 Honda Fit

Where did you purchase the keyless entry kit?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Keyless Remote Entry for 2009 Honda Fit

Hi, Everyone

So, if I understand the above posts correctly, I can program the REMOTE (not the key) myself and do not need to go to the dealer?

Thanks so much for your help. I just purchased two remotes for my 2009 Honda Fit (base model) and am confused about what I need to do>

tflorida

Old 07-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Keyless entry

Try dealing with the dealer. Bought mine, and he wanted $600, Told him I could get it at Best Buy for $150. He sold it to me for $150.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
the programming sequence does not work with the 09 Sport with the keyless. I've spent the past 1 1/2 hr trying it over and over, no go. Any other possibilities?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:37 PM
What exactly are you trying to program? It won't program it to start the car, only to unlock the doors.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
not trying to program to start the car, just trying to program it as another fob...no luck.... of course the dealership says that I have to take it to them and they'll charge $115. I just want to lock/unlock!

Originally Posted by awptickes
What exactly are you trying to program? It won't program it to start the car, only to unlock the doors.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:55 PM
maybe someone on here who knows someone at a service dept could give us the sequence? perhaps it's different?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by robertlo99
the programming sequence does not work with the 09 Sport with the keyless. I've spent the past 1 1/2 hr trying it over and over, no go. Any other possibilities?
Just a shot in the dark based on my own experiences (though on a Civic not a Fit).

The keyless entry buttons don't work if there's a key in the ignition. Notice #14 says to remove the key.

Sounds too simple to be the problem, but I ran into this when programming remotes before...did the voodoo dance, but left the key in the ignition, then puzzled at why the remotes weren't working, only to get out of the car in frustration (taking the key with me) and finding the remotes actually did work.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
Just a shot in the dark based on my own experiences (though on a Civic not a Fit).

The keyless entry buttons don't work if there's a key in the ignition. Notice #14 says to remove the key.

Sounds too simple to be the problem, but I ran into this when programming remotes before...did the voodoo dance, but left the key in the ignition, then puzzled at why the remotes weren't working, only to get out of the car in frustration (taking the key with me) and finding the remotes actually did work.
yeah, that wasn't it. Finally broke down and took it to the dealer, they couldn't program it either, said there might be a problem with the new keyfob....they'll check it out and get back to me in a few hours...i'm sure they'll say it'll cost 500 buck to fix.

Last edited by robertlo99; 07-30-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 PM
After an hour of trying, I just successfully did this using another set of directions.

1) Unlock Doors
2) Turn ignition key to "ON" position (II)
3) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote
4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position (0, I)
5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position
6) Press lock or unlock
7) Turn key to off position
8) on position
9) lock or unlock
10) off position
11) on position
12)lock or unlock - doors should cycle to indicate successful programming. If you only have one remote, turn ignition to off or don't touch anything. if you have 2+ remotes, go to 13:
13) lock on each transmitter that you need to program

*Steps 2-12 must be performed within 5 seconds of each other. Step 13 can be performed within 10 seconds of step 12. If it doesn't work, give me a yell

For me, I went from On II to Off I and I used the unlock button for the first two passes and the lock button on the last cycles. Also I completed the entire setup in under 5 seconds.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi!

Has anyone else tried this set of directions? I think I'd like keyless, but I don't want to have to deal with the dealership, unless necessary. I'm already tired of the song and dance. I have a 2009 auto base Fit. Do you have a 2009, raspar (sorry if it's indicated somewhere that I didn't notice)?

I also prefer having a seperate remote from the key (the key is big enough already! And I find it more convenient, personally).

Thanks!

Last edited by chloeishere; 08-08-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by chloeishere
Hi!

Has anyone else tried this set of directions? I think I'd like keyless, but I don't want to have to deal with the dealership, unless necessary. I'm already tired of the song and dance. I have a 2009 auto base Fit. Do you have a 2009, raspar (sorry if it's indicated somewhere that I didn't notice)?

I also prefer having a seperate remote from the key (the key is big enough already! And I find it more convenient, personally).

Thanks!
Yes it was a 2009 Manual Base. I ended up with the 2007 CRV integrated key using the part number listed above and used my dremel to trim the metal key.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks raspar! I think I'll order one and give it a try. I'm pretty sure that I do want keyless, so even if it doesn't work, I still need to get it one way or the other, and I can still use it.

I do have an automatic, hopefully that won't make a difference.

Thanks again!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Update! Got the key (the $40 one from collegehillshonda), got the instructions, went to my car, followed the instructions, and voila!

I have keyless entry!

Thank you many times over for the information, pgethea, and raspar for the confirmation! I will be sure to rep you both.

For other people wondering if they can get it to work, I have a 2009 Base Automatic Fit.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Chloeishere,
I couldn't find the $40 key at collegehillshonda, just the Fit one for $108. Under what heading did you find it? Thanks.
Susan

Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by scfonta
Hi Chloeishere,
I couldn't find the $40 key at collegehillshonda, just the Fit one for $108. Under what heading did you find it? Thanks.
Susan
Go to the Parts Section and then search for Part Number 35111-SWA-306

Old 08-19-2009, 08:44 PM
I figured someone would beat me to it. Yep, that's right!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the link. I had the hardest time finding it!

Quick Reply: Adding keyless to US Base 2009 Fit