2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic tranny help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:15 AM
Automatic tranny help

Hi there freaks

I owned a GE6 A/T for about 6 months now, already have 3500 km on it. And I have been having this transmission glitch which i find quite strange.

For those A/T owners, I would like everyone to share about how you switch the shifter from N to D.

Me usually switch to N when I hit traffic light or jams when the car needs to stop completely. I also occasionally shift to N when i meet traffic on a downhill road, and let the car to roll on without having to engage the 1st gear for fuel saving reason (coz it is a downhill).

I have driven several A/T model cars before this and I found that I have no problem with me doing what I described above whatsoever.

When I drive my Fit, suddenly this problem occurs. It is when I do having the car to roll in N mode, then for one and many reason i have to shift to D (while the wheel is on the roll). When I do that, I hear a loud scratching (almost like grinding) sound from the engine. To be precise, it sounds like when you run over an empty coke can on the road with ur Fit .

For you to notice, the noise only come when the car is rolling between 5-20 km/h. when the car is rolling faster than that, the sound never comes. The gear just engaged smoothly. And this does not happen all the time (lets say 20-30% of the time I do the move)

So my question is:

Does anyone with A/T suspect this problem too?

Am I wrong to shift from N to D when the car is moving?

Please share your opinion.

Thank you in advance,

Have a great day

Old 06-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
How about just leave the car in D like it was meant to be?

If your idling while coasting (N) your wasting more gas then if you would just leave it in gear.

You have an automatic, drive it like one.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:40 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
How about just leave the car in D like it was meant to be?

If your idling while coasting (N) your wasting more gas then if you would just leave it in gear.

You have an automatic, drive it like one.

+1

what type tranny you have? i-shift?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys.

Yeah that may be the best option to do.

It is just a matter of driving style. I did a lot of manual driving before. Only during the last 5 years my family started to adopt A/T cars in.

The coast-driving thing comes from my previous driving style with M/T i would say.

Thanks anyway for the kind reply

u rock

Old 06-16-2009, 09:22 AM
While the car is moving, shifting from D to N on an automatic transmission is fine. In fact in the older vehicles this was designed as a safety feature.

Let's say that your mechanical throttle linkage is stuck open, you want to stop the car, but you don't want to lose power steering or power brakes. Therefore, you shift the transmission from D to N and apply the brakes to slow down and stop. If you'd simply shut off the ignition you'd lose power brakes and power steering.

However, shifting from N to D while the car is moving is not what the transmission is designed to do. Reference: Shifting to neutral won't hurt transmission : SearchChicago Autos : Letters

Q: I own a 2004 Saturn Ion but my questions are about automatic transmissions in general. If you are coasting towards a stop light and shift the transmission into neutral, will this slow the car down? Also, will this hurt the transmission? My other question is: If you are still coasting along and the stop light goes green, then you shift the back into "Drive," will this hurt the transmission? -- D.C., New Lenox

A: D.C., shifting from drive to neutral while coasting won't hurt the transmission. However, while coasting in neutral, no engine braking will occur. Engine braking is desired when approaching a stop or coasting down a hill. Plus, once you want to begin accelerating again, shifting back into drive with the vehicle in motion is not good to do on a regular basis. Once in a while, such as if the engine stalls while driving, is okay. But I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. That's because engagement of the proper gear while moving will likely occur with greater force than it normally does and this can cause excess wear inside the transmission. I also would not recommend shifting into neutral at a stop and then shifting back into drive to take off. Every time you shift from neutral to drive, a mechanism is shifted from a released position into an applied position. It's better to leave the shifter in drive and keep everything applied, ready for acceleration. Considering the expense of rebuilding an automatic transmission, and considering that it's designed to be operated without shifting, I'd recommend leaving the shifter in drive.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
I dunno the answer but I wouldn't trust the MT owners to give you a good one. I normally hear a loud clang when I shift from N to D when I'm NOT moving. I'm pretty sure it's completely normal as it has always happened, unless you have the service manual you probably don't know a whole lot about the way the Fit's AT works. Not all of them are the same.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Alright, just looked in the user manual. Says when shifting from N to any gear press the brake. I imagine this means you shouldn't do it while moving. I've only done this a couple times myself, I'll have to not do it in the future.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I dunno the answer but I wouldn't trust the MT owners to give you a good one. I normally hear a loud clang when I shift from N to D when I'm NOT moving. I'm pretty sure it's completely normal as it has always happened, unless you have the service manual you probably don't know a whole lot about the way the Fit's AT works. Not all of them are the same.
i too have heard this clang or click wen i back out of my garage and then engage in drive. Honda doesnt address it for the transmission, but rather the brakes. However i dont know if this is the same click or clang we experience and what they mention. But here it is anways:

"Why do my brakes make a single “click” noise when I back out of a parking place and once again when I drive forward?
A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. That clearance can cause the pads to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new directions of travel. When you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the single “click” noise you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system"

I'm not sure what to think cuz ive never heard of this happening before... then again it is HONDA and they wont put a wrong explaination, i hope lol

Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
auto trannies on hondas are no good.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by Fitcious
auto trannies on hondas are no good.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
Alright, just looked in the user manual. Says when shifting from N to any gear press the brake. I imagine this means you shouldn't do it while moving. I've only done this a couple times myself, I'll have to not do it in the future.
Really? I checked the shift "grid" in my manual. N to D shift = move lever - no mention of applying the brake. Bare with me, there's a point...

But, flippin to the next page I see additional information for Neutral:

So, yes, it says to press the brake pedal when going from N to D....more importanly, though, the manual clears states to use neutral"...if it is necessary to stop briefly with the engine idling."

How long is briefly? 1.for a short duration
Wow, that helps. Clearly, briefly is relative to one's way of life, but we can assume that "briefly with the egine idling" must include non movement at a red light for anything over, say, 5 seconds...?

Anyway, I stick with what the owners manual says....and it says USE NEUTRAL when we stop briefly. This question has plagued me for years, but I usually end up forgetting about it, and mostly keep an AT in D. If i know a light is long, it's my habit to switch to neutral. I can at least drive the Fit with confidence that switching to N at lights is an approved method - ending all worry/debate in my own mind.

note: I'm fairly certain vehicle manufacturers are legally responsible for the instructions they provide in the owners manuals. Google for many examples of where it went bad for the auto maker years ago, but I don't wanna debate owners manuals.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=warren561;676938]While the car is moving, shifting from D to N on an automatic transmission is fine. In fact in the older vehicles this was designed as a safety feature.

Let's say that your mechanical throttle linkage is stuck open, you want to stop the car, but you don't want to lose power steering or power brakes. Therefore, you shift the transmission from D to N and apply the brakes to slow down and stop. If you'd simply shut off the ignition you'd lose power brakes and power steering.

Surely you don't intend to let that engine go screaming past redline and dropping a valve? Or worse. Surely not.
you're safer losing the PS asnd PB but you will still have brakes and steering. It just means more muscle.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by warren561
While the car is moving, shifting from D to N on an automatic transmission is fine. In fact in the older vehicles this was designed as a safety feature.

However, shifting from N to D while the car is moving is not what the transmission is designed to do. Reference: Shifting to neutral won't hurt transmission : SearchChicago Autos : Letters

In neutral you will still have transmission pumping losses to slow the rpm but its not enough to slow you very much. Or very quickly. as for shifting n to D thats exactly what the tranny process does. If you rev it to 4000 rpm and drop into Drive it will probably make it several times but the torque instant input will not make it last very long.
In short shifting to drive from neutral is a lot like dropping the clutch at 4000 rpm." Fun", but guarantees short life.

Last edited by mahout; 08-06-2009 at 07:21 PM.