2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where I find a positive under key in the engine box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Where I find a positive under key in the engine box?

Hi, I am an italian fit/jazz owner... I have writed a post yet where I tried to use drl using only the fuse but drl had not work.
So I want to buy an aftermarket drl and I find it. but I need to know where is a positive cable near engine or lights because I have 3 cable. one to ground, one to normal lights and one to positive under key. so when I run the car, the drl works but when I turn on the normal light the drl turn off as the law ece 87 wants...
in alternative I want to know if is difficult to pass a cable between engine and fuse box in the car!?
sorry for my english!
thanks to anyone give me a solution!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
Let me try to understand your question. You want to install DRL onto your fit and you are having trouble locating the Positive (+) terminal for your battery / fuse?

May I ask, how do you want your DRL, the headlights or foglights?Or do you mean that you have a DRL kit (I assume that you are installing another pair of lights)?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:52 AM
I have a drl kit with two led lights that i will install near foglights. the problem is that this kit have 3 cable. one is the ground and not problem. one is the positive that i must connect to the positive of normal lights. one must be connected to a positive but under ignition key! so when i turn on the car, drl turn on. instead if i turn on the lights, drl turn off. the positive cable under ignition key is used to turn on the drl only when the car is turn on...

Last edited by rickycbrjazz; 07-29-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
From the description provided I would guess that the wire connect to the regular headlights circuit feeds a relay to shut off the DRL when the headlights come on.... otherwise the DRL stay on as long as the car's ignition is on. So what he needs is a wiring takeoff point for the headlights. My first thought is that he could simply take it of the headlight wiring itself but with low and high beams you couldn't do it that way... he needs a point upstream of the high / low beam wiring on the headlight switch or something. I don't have the wiring diagram on this yet. Maybe someone who does can help?

You might consider just wiring it to the low beam wiring at the headlight. The DRL wouldn't shut off for high beam headlight use but then who would care since you shouldn't be affecting other driver's? .... because you don't use high beams around others anyway. But if you have inspections or law requirements then that wouldn't work.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 AM
no no is more and more simple. the drl kit is completed. the only thing I have to do is connect the 3 cable!! I repeat: one cable to the ground or negative of battery; no problem.
One cable to the positive cable of one of the position light or normal light; no problem, this input is necessary to turn off the drl when light are turn on by an internal circuit of drl.
One cable, and this is my question, that must be connected to a positive cable of the car, but the power of this cable must be under the off/on of the key! for example I can connect this cable with cigar lighter that is under control of the key. the problem in this case is how to pass the cable from the cigar lighter to the drl in front of the auto!! if I can find a positive cable in the engine box is easier!
so if one of us know where i can find in the engine box a positive cable (12v +), low ampere, under control of the turn on/off of the key, and show me where is, i thank.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Bear in mind that the Jazz/Fit doesn't have a conventional setup for wiring.

Most things under the bonnet just has +12V coming from the battery and a signal from the ECU to control it. The ECU is turned on by the key switch and is under the dashboard in the cabin.

Try the voltage regulator on the alternator. the black/yellow wire is the IGN+ connection to Pin 1 on the Voltage regulator according to the wiring diagram.

The alternator should be on the passenger side (in Italy) driven by a belt. If you can't find it, I suggest you get someone to help you.

Last edited by rosswond; 07-30-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks to all!
for rosswond: the black/yellow wire is under key and is a costant 12 v? to connect the cable of drl i must cut the cable black/yellow? and if i do this there will be some problem? i see yesterday night that in engine bay there aren't many cable...
for mugen 666: ok this is an alternative and I don't see if it's difficult to pass a wire trough the rubber boot.
an other question: if i want to take the positive of cigar lighter is difficult to take the cable or to disassemble the dashboard near cigar lighter? I have the i-shift gear and i see that under cigar lighter there is a deep hole directly on the bodywork; can I try if the cable pass there to the engine bay?
thanks!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 03:36 AM
hi guys,
any other solution or help to find a positive cable under ignition key in the engine box?
thanks

Old 07-31-2009, 03:56 PM
One of the first things I did when I got the Fit was to yank the DRL fuse. Funny to hear of someone going to great lengths to hook-up DRLs. I hate them. I had them on my VW and ended up replacing headlight bulbs about 3 times a year. Finally figured out how to disable them and that problem went away. I know they are supposed to have safety benefits, but the hassle of constantly replacing the bulbs outweighs the .001% increased safety benefit for me. Notwithstanding some of the earlier European studies that claim DRLs are effective, a 2008 study by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysed the effect of DRLs on frontal and side-on crashes between two vehicles and on vehicle collisions with pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists. The analysis determined that DRLs offer no statistically-significant reduction in the frequency or severity of the collisions studied. In other words, If it's my time, it's my time...

Last edited by chris76; 07-31-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by rickycbrjazz
Thanks to all!
for rosswond: the black/yellow wire is under key and is a costant 12 v? to connect the cable of drl i must cut the cable black/yellow? and if i do this there will be some problem? i see yesterday night that in engine bay there aren't many cable...
thanks!!!
The black/yellow wire will be visible next to the plug on the alternator. It might be inside an outer cover that will have to be cut to access it. Then you can splice into the wire without cutting the wire itself. I seriously suggest though that you get help to do all this. One wrong move and you could completely disable the charging system or fry your alternator (Lotsa Euros).

The fusebox through the firewall solution, while awkward, is probably a lot safer.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Question

for chris76: I agree all with you but in italy drl are compulsory for us. So I buy drl after market with led bulbs and I haven't to turn on the headlight that quickly break!
for rosswond: ok I understand. but I maked 3 photos of the engine. how I post this photos to show you if i understand where is the cable? because over the alternator there are five cable.
an other question: i see that in the rear part of left headlights there is a free connector with 6 cable, 3 red and other white. what type of cable are those? are they under key? in yours fit the connector is connected to anything? I want to post also this photo but i not understand how I have to do
I think that take the cable through the fire wall is more difficult for me and it may dangerous with water infiltration...