2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running lights off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
running lights off?

I'm new here, so go easy........please!

I bought an '09 Fit sport manual about two weeks ago, and apart from the running lights and the floor mats, I love it! I know there's no swith or function inside of the car to turn the running lights off, but I remember seeing another post somewhere saying that user had figured out how to turn them off? Anyone else know how?

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:13 AM
Under the steering wheel to the left of your left leg (In the drivers seat) there is a fuse box. Pull fuse #15 to turn the drls off. Don't worry fuse #15 doesn't control anything else. I too hate drls. If its dusk or dark because of rain I just turn on my headlights . I've had mine off since January. My PIAA's don't deserve to be run at any other power than 100%.. ha

also... Page 309 of the owners manual shows the diagram of the fuses. The inside cover panel diagram can be a little confusing.

Here is an old thread about it....
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ng-lights.html

Last edited by Committobefit08; 08-06-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM
If you just want them to not be on occasionally (like at a drive-in movie perhaps), they don't come on until you disengage the parking brake (M/T) or in A/T I believe when you take it out of P. But they will stay on after you put it back in P or engage the parking brake.

So to "turn them off" you basically turn the engine off and back on again and they'll stay off until you disengage the brake/shift into drive.

Not to threadjack but I was wondering why anyone would want to disable them completely? I guess maybe if you have lamps that don't work/get damaged if run at low intensity?

Me, it was annoying replacing the lamps so often - they wear out much faster when they are on all the time at full brightness. The high-beam-at-low-intensity mechanism is far less wear on a less-important part of the lamp. It's great.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Oh thank you so much!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
The running lights turn on on my a/t Fit Sport as soon as I crank it.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Daytime running lights are a safety feature and required by law I would think. Way back in the good old days many people ran with headlights on during the day.

With our little toy cars it is best to leave them on so others can see us a bit better.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
DRLs are required in Canada and Europe but not the US. DRLs on Hondas are actually a fairly new feature for the US. My 02 CR-V was equipped for them but that little fuse was pulled for the US version. I've always meant to put one in, but never got around to it.

Many states, such as my own, DO require headlights to be turned on when it's raining and you're using the wipers.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:36 PM
[/quote]Many states, such as my own, DO require headlights to be turned on when it's raining and you're using the wipers.[/quote]

Which makes perfect sense. Its just easy for me to flip that little lever to turn them on before dusk or when its raining. Yes DRL's are probably good for some people (forgetful people) but for me...nah. I think they make a car look cheap in broad daylight.
I don't see the point when its full sun out not a cloud in the sky to have your headlights running at whatever % wasting your bulb life. If you can't see a 2600lbs car coming at you in broad day light you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place

Last edited by Committobefit08; 08-06-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
They don't really significantly reduce bulb life from everything I've heard. My Fit is my 4th car to have DRLs. None have been real bulb burners. Either way, my local Target was clearancing bulbs and got several replacements for each vehicle for like $20 total. So I'm set.

As for their need/benefit, there have been several times in my driving experience where DRLs made an oncoming car much easier to see due to glare and shadows.

Not trying to change your mind-when I was frequenting SAAB forums, DRL-delete was probably the single-most asked question. Just pointing out they can have some utility.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
If you can't see a 2600lbs car coming at you in broad day light you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place
But that doesn't stop them from driving, does it! I'd put a giant spotlight on my hood if I thought it would prevent these idiots from pulling out in front of me!

It improves visibility to others in all weather and lighting conditions.

As for lamp life - an incandescent/halogen lamp has greatly increased life even dimmed a few percent - the flipside of this is that running the lamp at reduced intensity has a low impact on the lifespan of the filament, especially considering it uses the high-beam filament that most likely sees far less use (and thus longer life) than the low-beam filament. I don't think I've ever replaced a headlamp with blown high-beam.

What I'm getting at is, it has no significant affect on the lamp lifespan.

No cost, no impact on the driving experience, increases safety/visibility to other drivers...there's no downside to it. Except it looking cheap but...we're driving Honda Fits....so....

Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Why would you want to turn them off? Save bulbs? I would rather save my life. Been running day time here for years and years and you seldom see a burnt out bulb. If you are concerned and burn one out let me know and I will replace it for you.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
I pulled the fuse because I am philosophically opposed to the concept of DRL's......

Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by committobefit08

Which makes perfect sense. Its just easy for me to flip that little lever to turn them on before dusk or when its raining. Yes DRL's are probably good for some people (forgetful people) but for me...nah. I think they make a car look cheap in broad daylight.
I don't see the point when its full sun out not a cloud in the sky to have your headlights running at whatever % wasting your bulb life. If you can't see a 2600lbs car coming at you in broad day light you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place
It's a new law, since July 1st, in Ohio, that if you have your wipers on, your lights must be on, I figure it's cheap insurance to keep from getting pulled over during the day if it's raining.

Too many times this summer it's freaking raining with the sun out and you need sunglasses inspite of the rain.

Weird weather to go with us wierdo's who live here

Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 PM
I don't like DRL's because they run at such a low wattage. Yes I believe in the concept but I do not like the looks of them personally. I rather just have my headlights on to the full %. So in sense I'm more safe than any of you.
Yes I am aware that is the law in Ohio as of July thus me making that statement that I do turn on my lights when its raining or I feel to be safe I turn them on esp. durning hazzy days and esp. dawn/dusk. I like to have the option when I want my lights to be on full.
I have a lot more expensive bulbs than your generic walmart brand bulbs so I do not like to have them on 24/7 if I have the option to. I also have LED parking lights and LED Fogs so if anyone has trouble seeing me you shouldn't be on the road. I am the fit that looks like a freaking space ship coming down the road. Don't believe me...here take a look.

I guess I'm a FIT rebel...I don't want to be the normal Fit mold...Call me unsafe...call me crude...but hey we all have a little rebel in us.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 08-07-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
As for lamp life - an incandescent/halogen lamp has greatly increased life even dimmed a few percent
While true for conventional incandescents, I'm not sure that that's true for halogens. Halogens need to run hot so that they will redeposit the metal vapor that burns off of the filament. This is also why their bulbs are usually quartz instead of glass. Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

Halogen lamps are manufactured with enough halogen to match the rate of tungsten evaporation at their design voltage. Increasing the applied voltage increases the rate of evaporation, so at some point there may be insufficient halogen and the lamp goes black. Over-voltage operation is not generally recommended. With a reduced voltage the evaporation is lower and there may be too much halogen, which can lead to abnormal failure. At much lower voltages, the bulb temperature may be too low to support the halogen cycle, but by this time the evaporation rate is too low for the bulb to blacken significantly. There are many situations where halogen lamps are dimmed successfully. However, lamp life may not be extended as much as predicted. The life span on dimming depends on lamp construction, the halogen additive used and whether dimming is normally expected for this type.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by SteveInNC
Here is what Wikipedia has to say:
Like it says - halogens can dim fine if designed appropriately. I imagine that in these days of standard DRLs the lamps are spec'ed for this kind of usage... In any case, I used to get about 12-18 months on a lamp running the low beam all the time. Can't imagine this config would have a shorter lifespan...only time will tell though

Old 08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Codger01
I pulled the fuse because I am philosophically opposed to the concept of DRL's......
Amen! I don't see the point in having my lights on all the time.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
It's nice on cloudy days.

I'd rather have the DRL's be the front turn signal lights. Much cheaper to replace when they go out. More visible IMO as well.

Both the Buick and the Fit have high-beam DRL's. The Buick is on its original high-beam bulbs, the Fit is getting better bulbs in a few days. We'll see how long the Fit's high-beam DRL's last with new bulbs. (old ones being kept in the car for spares)

Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
So can USDM fits add DRL's by adding a fuse somewhere??