2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unswitched Constant-On 12V Power Tap

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:29 PM
CBX
Unswitched Constant-On 12V Power Tap

As my Fit approaches a year old, I am finally ready to wire up my GPS receiver the way I have been wanting to. My initial installation was posted under https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...solutions.html

I will be using a device called a ChargeGuard, which keeps power on for a user-adjustable timed duration after the ignition is turned off. This will allow me to keep the GPS powered for short stops, without the risk of depleting the battery by accidentally leaving it on overnight.

It normally is wired directly to a fused lead on the battery, but I really don't want to fool with passing a wire through the firewall.

What is a good source for unswitched power under the dash?

I am sure several members have contributed their solutions in various threads, and a search turned up a couple of results, but I know there are others. Post up a link! Thanks.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM
CBX
All done! Since I planned on popping out the stereo, I ended up tapping into the 4-way flasher harness, just behind the switch. The yellow/ silver trace wire is always hot, and of sufficient gauge for the 2A I have the GPS fused at. I will do some further testing before I fully replace the stereo, but it all seems to work.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
I need to do this for my GPS.

THANKS for the wire tip!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:25 AM
CBX
You are welcome, Craig!

I was pretty much racing through the installation today, prior to leaving for work, so I don't have any photos yet. Hopefully tomorrow I can at least post one of the 4-Way harness where I tapped the power.

An additional observation; The wire I used is always hot. It does not switch off while cranking the engine. This is exactly what I wanted.

The ChargeGuard does just what they claim, passing power to my device when the engine is started, and disconnecting it after the user-set delay after engine shutdown. The delay on my model can be set for 15 minutes, or one to 15 hours in one hour increments. There is a pushbuton to start the cycle manually, without starting the engine.

Right now, I have the delay set for three hours. Considering the lawn-tractor-like battery in the Fit, I may connect up a ScopeMeter to log Amp hour and battery voltage drain over that period, just to be sure.

Some of the benefits of this system over an ignition-switched system;
Track log recording is continuous. It does not start a new log after evey stop at the Post Office, gas station, and campground check-in.
Trip data is more accurate, including "Stopped Time" and "Trip Average Speed".
Satellite acquisition does not need to re-start after brief stops.
I can press the manual override switch to start the unit without having to turn the key.

Overall, I am very pleased with the arrangement. I just wish it hadn't taken almost a year to install!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
In for pics.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:20 AM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
^^^^^x2...........................

Old 08-15-2009, 11:42 PM
CBX
Man! I wish I had a much Rep as you two (and Craig)!

Pictures ain't happening. I tried twice today to slip a camera behind the stereo faceplate, but my wiring just won't let it happen (without setting down my beverage). If you're in there, the harness connecting to the 4-way flasher should be readily apparent.

I also nixed data logging plans after a quick check of current draw from my (7 inch) GPS receiver. About .9A max with XM Radio running and max display brightness. When I toss a hat over it, the auto-dim drops it to .7A, and disconnecting the XM receiver (I won't bother) drops it another 200mA.

Given that, i may bump the timer delay up to four hours, from three.

Let me know if you have questions.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:24 AM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
Were like 2 rep points moar LoL Keep up the good work

Old 11-26-2015, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
I also need a 12 volt always on source on my '09 Fit base but planned on using the add-a-fuse to do so. Unless I'm missing it I don't see any legend for the fuse panel. Can somebody give me a hint on where I can "borrow" a 12 volt always on spot on the in cabin fuse panel? Also, if anybody can point me toward any documentation that describes the fuses in the panel I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.