2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Molding at top hood that house's squirts

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Question Molding at top hood that house's squirts

Has anyone noticed the black molding above the hood that houses the squirts and some windshield wiper things does not fit properly? On my 09 sport there's a gap of about 1/2" on the left as your looking at the car from the front. Two dealers have told me, all Fits are like this and it's normal, although one said it didn't look right to him, Looks like Honda measured incorrectly.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
it's normal everyone has this. do a search there are
more threads on this.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh, i need to take a closer look cause i havent noticed anything that causes alarm on my bone stock 09....

Old 09-16-2009, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
I think the OP is referring to the gap circled in this pic of my car:
Name:  gap.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  22.8 KB

I actually tried searching for threads on this, but I couldn't find any (doesn't help that the search won't let you use the word "gap" in a search).

So, what's the reasoning behind having this gap?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure, but I believe it allows the 3 pieces of the plastic cowl to slide together enough so they can be removed.

The cowl will need to be removed when it's time to adjust the valves.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Adjust the valves??? WTF What's that gona cost (-:

Old 09-17-2009, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by guitar_trance

A tech told me that... who knows.
Knows squat maybe. It does seem to be rather wide even if it is for expansion. I ma sure the designers had a reason. Now that I know they are all like this I am not so concerned even though it will not win any prizes in a fit and finish contest.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by clicq
I actually tried searching for threads on this, but I couldn't find any (doesn't help that the search won't let you use the word "gap" in a search)
Thats because your not doing it right...

Search for gap*

Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by guitar_trance
Lol... I kinda' looked at him thinking the same thing! Then I was thinking... when applying vinyl siding to a house, you insert the nails loosely (not nailing all the way in) through these pre-cut slots specifically made so the vinyl will slide freely around the nails for expansion and contraction. I've seen those slots as wide as 3/4 of an inch.

So maybe he wasn't blowin' all that much smoke. I guess cars are exposed to as much element abuse as houses... come to think of it.

Still, if that is a reason, you would think Honda could have come up with something a little more aesthetically pleasing.
We likely got move vinyl/plastic in the Fit than a house I bet. It needs room to expand. I agree though they could have made it look prettier(aesthetic). I am sure someone will come up with an aftermarket carbon fiber piece to replace it - lol.

I suppose I could have the elf in my avatar fill in the gap.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Knows squat maybe. It does seem to be rather wide even if it is for expansion. I ma sure the designers had a reason. Now that I know they are all like this I am not so concerned even though it will not win any prizes in a fit and finish contest.
Plastic can expand and contract a lot with temperature changes. Better to have a gap (and it looks more like a sliding joint than an actual gap) than have the whole thing buckle in the sun.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rosswond
Plastic can expand and contract a lot with temperature changes. Better to have a gap (and it looks more like a sliding joint than an actual gap) than have the whole thing buckle in the sun.
Ya but. Maybe at 150C it would close. You do not see these kind of expansion joints on other cars. Until the Honda designers come on here and tell me why I will put it down to a screwup and if they noticed did not bother to fix it.

I can't get too exited. Only see it when I wash it. Which reminds me to do that today. It collected two of new nicest purple bug guts yesterday on the bumper. Size of a Loonie( our $1 coin eh)
guitar_trance Quote:
We likely got more vinyl/plastic in the Fit than a house I bet.

I love the Fit, but that's a scary thought... especially when thinking of all of the potential hazards of "apply-makeup-while-driving" and "texting-while-driving cellphone junkies" on the road these days.

I think we are not much better off than a Smart car driver other than we will look better at the crash scene.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:24 AM

thans a lot mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2009, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kasey1
thans a lot mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry but that is the truth eh.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone know what this piece is called? I went to wipe down my car and my driver side piece of that is missing, it just doesnt fall off so I'm assuming someone pulled it off.....for the lols :[

Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by davidtmnguyen
Anyone know what this piece is called? I went to wipe down my car and my driver side piece of that is missing, it just doesnt fall off so I'm assuming someone pulled it off.....for the lols :[
they're cowl pieces

use this site: http://www.bernardiparts.com

you can pull up a diagram if you enter your vehicle yr and info, it's under the body/air conditioning section, then engine hood subsection