2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HID glare/cut off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 AM
HID glare/cut off?

I am planning to buy a pair for my headlights but concern about the cut off line or the glare, I don't want to get pulled over by a cop for it or beamed at. Any problems on yours? Thanks

Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Please don't.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Please don't.
Lol you can't really stop some of these kids, they will do what they want anyway, regardless if it bothers other drivers or produces less consistent light than the factory halogen bulbs.

Some dude was getting all angry at me yesterday when I was trying to explain it, "I know what they are and how they work [y0]", ok then why are you looking for plug and play kits with aftermarket headlight projector assemblies a la ebay? Let them blind all the people they want, I'll be the guy who turns on his high beams at them when they're coming down the road blinding oncoming traffic.

But to answer the question simply, installing re-based HID plug and play kits yield marginal results, they almost always produce glare and don't disperse the light properly. Most of the kits I've seen on hundreds of friends cars all produce light that is worse than the OEM halogen bulb, but they love the blue/pink/purple look so much they can't wrap their heads around it. A retro fit with an OEM HID projector from a production model car paired with the OEM HID bulbs and ballasts is the only way to get respectable results (go test drive a TSX in the evening for example).

I don't understand why people would want their car to stand out from a crowd of cars coming down the road at night. Especially when it's probably one of the slowest ones.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Please don't.

x infinity

if you do, i hope you get a ticket. no, really, i actually would wish that on you if you choose to blind other motorists around you.

if you do it proper, i love you long time.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I've pleaded my case over at the lighting forum but you just can't win. People will continue to buy these useless kits because they look mad cool yo. Looks like someone spilled blue food coloring in their headlights. People think that just because the bulb is brighter that the output is brighter, not thinking that the reflectors in the OEM housing are made to amplify the dim halogen bulb to light up the road and not the eyes of oncoming drivers. Halogen and xenon bulbs act differently. Light isn't just light, the waves coming off of each bulb re-act differently. Xenon bulbs in a reflector housing will focus its light all over the place and none where it needs to be. That is a fact. No matter how c00l you think it looks.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies
Lol you can't really stop some of these kids, they will do what they want anyway, regardless if it bothers other drivers or produces less consistent light than the factory halogen bulbs.

Some dude was getting all angry at me yesterday when I was trying to explain it, "I know what they are and how they work [y0]", ok then why are you looking for plug and play kits with aftermarket headlight projector assemblies a la ebay? Let them blind all the people they want, I'll be the guy who turns on his high beams at them when they're coming down the road blinding oncoming traffic.

But to answer the question simply, installing re-based HID plug and play kits yield marginal results, they almost always produce glare and don't disperse the light properly. Most of the kits I've seen on hundreds of friends cars all produce light that is worse than the OEM halogen bulb, but they love the blue/pink/purple look so much they can't wrap their heads around it. A retro fit with an OEM HID projector from a production model car paired with the OEM HID bulbs and ballasts is the only way to get respectable results (go test drive a TSX in the evening for example).

I don't understand why people would want their car to stand out from a crowd of cars coming down the road at night. Especially when it's probably one of the slowest ones.
Why stop there? If they are behind me, I change lanes then let them get in front and high beam them as I travel down the freeway.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
to Properly do HID's most agree that a retrofit of projectors is the proper way to do it...but it gets pricey. a few have tried to create a cut off with shrouds and what not but in the end the light needs to be focused...I have PnP HID's and the light is thrown and scattered and Im not getting true benefits of the technology, it is pretty bright though. I have all the parts collected to retro fit my headlights, but no time...I know that some here are dead against just the PnP stuff, and I tend to agree...but doing it right will set you back a pretty penny, so in the end its up to you...honestly Cops don't care much in SD county or Orange county Ive driven by CHP, city cops from Irvine to Mira Mesa, knock on wood. Its up to you, but eventually when I find time Im retrofitting till then I'll do my best to not be annoying to anyone(PS I never get flashed, after more than 6 months with my PnP units)

Last edited by Stormtrooper; 10-01-2009 at 03:55 PM.