2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

get your fits now! MADE IN USA??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chad T
Your 1984 Accord was built in Marysville Ohio.
Not ones sold in Canada!

VIN started with J, not 1

Old 10-20-2009, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
whats the issue with the fit being made in the USA? its still being made by honda with the same quality control. The life of a vehicle is be holded by its owner.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Had a 2000 civic si which was made in liberty, ohio. Solid car and would not hesitate to buy another made in USA honda.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
thank god i got mine already lol

Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
reminds me of the s2k debate on tochigi versus suzuka -- and that was merely moving from one prefecture to another. in the end it was all rhetoric and didn't make a d@mn bit of difference.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by Chad T
Your 1984 Accord was built in Marysville Ohio. I had one also and it was a great car. Still one of my favorite Hondas.

My 2003 Acura CL built in Ohio seemed more like an american car but it was fine. The Fit seems a little more well screwed together for costing half as much.

I think it's a good thing they will build them here. Nice to have one of the early ones though. Looks like the Fit will be a popular car for a while. I'll bet the destination charge stays the same.
Did you have a 6speed CL?
If you had an auto trannies they were not the best. I had an 01 Auto CL-S.
Even some of the newer 04 TL's had this issue.

Honda manufactures in U.S. have strict guidelines just as their Japan counterparts do. But it does seem the Japan built cars from past experience always have just that small extra step of build quality. Not saying the American built ones are horrible but the American built are just slightly inferior to the japan built cars fit and finish imo.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 AM
glad i just got my ge8 in time...

sure, possibly maybe the outcome is different case by case...

but i also own an 07 tundra just shy of 50,000 miles, and i'm taking it in tomorrow to have the rear tranny seal replaced because just last week when me and my buddy put it on the lift to weld in an exhaust, there was red oil spat all up and around the tranny tunnel. i DO use my truck to tow my track car around, but at 50k miles, a toyota should NOT show any signs of leakage.

but mine is. and the tundra's engine is made in alabama, and the final assembly point is in san antonio. but hey maybe my situation is a fluke. but i'll bet my fit won't be leaking oil at 50k.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
all j-brand cars made in the US and canada failed me so far within the first 2 years of ownership... so i know wat you mean. i speak from experience.

all j-brand cars that were made in japan have not...even after 6yrs. there is a difference.
I've had a different experience. My 93 Integra had a distributor seize, timing belt locked up and other issues with less than 120K miles and it was all sourced from japan. My Brother's Civic Si had to have brake work done.

I don't think it really makes a difference where the vehicle is assembled but the quality of the manufacturing process for the parts... and honda's manufacturing tolerences are extremely high.

~SB

Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
I read the article, but it really is only speculation at this point. Nothing appears to have been decided. It makes sense from an economic standpoint if the dollar contiues to lose ground to the yen. Profit margins on the Fit are already very tight and getting worse. Moving production to the U.S. would lower costs.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 AM
We've been through this before here on Fit Freak. Most of the Hondas you buy in NA are made in NA. Somehow Honda has managed to maintain its reputation of quality. The cars didn't magically fall to pieces once they moved the factories.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Did you have a 6speed CL?
If you had an auto trannies they were not the best. I had an 01 Auto CL-S.
Even some of the newer 04 TL's had this issue.

Honda manufactures in U.S. have strict guidelines just as their Japan counterparts do. But it does seem the Japan built cars from past experience always have just that small extra step of build quality. Not saying the American built ones are horrible but the American built are just slightly inferior to the japan built cars fit and finish imo.
Except most of those tranny's were japanese built. We get just as many J car issues as US relative to production. but the fact that 85% of the cars are built here. but you think what you think.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Americans can build good cars. Case in point, the Accord. Americans can't build American cars because of that damn UAW. Ford, GM and Chrysler have to cut corners to pay these outlandish salaries to bolt a part onto a car for 8 hours straight. Eliminate the UAW and American cars will stop sucking. Because Honda doesn't run a union, they can put that money spent on workers into developing their cars.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Stevens24
Except most of those tranny's were japanese built. We get just as many J car issues as US relative to production. but the fact that 85% of the cars are built here. but you think what you think.
That is true...my bad I forgot.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
It makes sense from an economic standpoint if the dollar contiues to lose ground to the yen. Profit margins on the Fit are already very tight and getting worse. Moving production to the U.S. would lower costs.

but loss of jobs in Japan... not sure which will benefit from an economic standpoint viewed from Japan.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
I don't think it really makes a difference where the vehicle is assembled but the quality of the manufacturing process for the parts... and honda's manufacturing tolerences are extremely high.

~SB
SB- wat i meant was All J-brands made in the USA THAT I BOUGHT failed me... im not making a generalized statement about All j-brand cars built in the US/Canada.

but looking at the stats ive heard from my teams and others working in the automotive industry, there are significantly higher rates of problems on domestic/canada built hondas vs made in japan.

also have to remember that when production site moves from japan it's tier1 suppliers often times move their production as well to maximize their logistics. that often times can lead to problems as well.

Last edited by kenchan; 10-20-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: grammARrr
Old 10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
I'll weigh in and say that the majority of owners who owned both American and Japanese Hondas, including myself, feel that the Japanese versions have slightly better build quality. That's why I decided to buy my Fit last year before they build them here.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
wow.

the amount of ingnorance in this thread is ASTRONOMICAL.

just so you people know, the reputation that has made honda famous in the usa, was accomplished by more cars built in the US than in japan.

hondas most successuful models, the civic and accord, have bascially been made in the USA and sold here for longer than most of us have been alive.

a couple people on a effing internet forum saying otherwise is not solid conclusive evidence.

this thread is a joke. this is why honda owners are frequently slammed in other forums...because some of us have a tendency to be ridiculous ignorant fanboys.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I'll weigh in and say that the majority of owners who owned both American and Japanese Hondas, including myself, feel that the Japanese versions have slightly better build quality. That's why I decided to buy my Fit last year before they build them here.
the u.s. built civics interior is nicer than the fits....go figure.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
mugen666:Wow, Budweisers in Japan.............

Maybe aftermarket stereo was installed. Highly doubt that story.

Maybe GM paint would be better choice.

Last I remember BMW vehicles are built in Germany.

Wrong.

they also make a lot of them here in the united states. right in south carolina. passed by the plant on the way to atlanta this weekend.

maybe you should 'check' again.

Last edited by eldaino; 10-20-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
SB- wat i meant was All J-brands made in the USA THAT I BOUGHT failed me... im not making a generalized statement about All j-brand cars built in the US/Canada.

but looking at the stats ive heard from my teams and others working in the automotive industry, there are significantly higher rates of problems on domestic/canada built hondas vs made in japan.

also have to remember that when production site moves from japan it's tier1 suppliers often times move their production as well to maximize their logistics. that often times can lead to problems as well.
So... wait... you are in a thread that is generalizing that Japanese built vehicles are higher quality than their American counterparts and now you're throwing in "the fine print" claiming that you aren't generalizing by saying "Well... that's not what iiIii was saying... what I meant was..." ... oh please... When someone replies in a thread such as this... unless they throw in the disclaimer that says they are not generalizing but stating only on specific experince... yes I read about ALL of your J-brand US cars failing you but... you turn around and generalize the the 2nd paragraph above... Pick a side...

Production of components moving to the US would be great for our economy. Someone has to maintain the factories that will produce these parts. chances are the Tooling that is already done will be shipped here so quality components should still not be an issue. it's not as if they are goign to retool for production here when it is already done. (especially half way through a model year)

Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I'm not one of them. I've owned Canadian, American, and Japanese Hondas... and the one I had the most problems with was the Japanese one. on the other side of it, I've had other Japanese hondas that have had no issues.
Originally Posted by eldaino
wow.

the amount of ingnorance in this thread is ASTRONOMICAL.

just so you people know, the reputation that has made honda famous in the usa, was accomplished by more cars built in the US than in japan.

hondas most successuful models, the civic and accord, have bascially been made in the USA and sold here for longer than most of us have been alive.

a couple people on a effing internet forum saying otherwise is not solid conclusive evidence.

this thread is a joke. this is why honda owners are frequently slammed in other forums...because some of us have a tendency to be ridiculous ignorant fanboys.
- Agreed. Research is quite important.

Originally Posted by eldaino
the u.s. built civics interior is nicer than the fits....go figure.
That's like saying the bmw 5 series interiors were better than a 318ti. Naturally, it's apples & oranges. Just Japanese apples, and US oranges

~SB

Quick Reply: get your fits now! MADE IN USA??