2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

get your fits now! MADE IN USA??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mugen666

Last I remember BMW vehicles are built in Germany.

Not quite. The X5 (Sport Ute) and Z$ (roadster) are built in
Spartanburg, SC. South Carolina is both my home and that of the 'you lie' congressman - he is in fact from my district. We need the jobs here. Many BMW 3 series vehicles are assembled in South Africa, and there are no associated quality problems.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 PM
80% of Hondas sold in the USA are built in the USA. I fail to see how building a car in the USA makes it worse. Its still Hondas engineering and quality control.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow... people here don't know anything about manufacturing, engineering, design or build.... sheesh.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
seriously.

Cars that are made in japan are better. Don't know why, Don't know how. Look at reliability reports, quailty control standards, and just overall rating of a vehicle that WAS made in the japan, then the moved to be made in the USA.

Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by danielg
seriously.

Cars that are made in japan are better. Don't know why, Don't know how. Look at reliability reports, quailty control standards, and just overall rating of a vehicle that WAS made in the japan, then the moved to be made in the USA.

Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't.
Where can one see these numbers?

Old 10-23-2009, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
this is weird..

my gf has a 2008 honda civic LX auto and her vin number starts with a J...so made in japan!

i think thats pretty rare since I thought all the new civics were made in ohio or canada.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:41 PM
dgs
Wow, first Honda neuters the 2010 Fit by eliminating the Navigation/manual transmission combo. As rare as it may be customers at least had the option of getting one on the 09. Heck I wouldn't have bought a Fit if I couldn't get that combo. Now they want to build the Fit in the USA? Sorry, I don't care what anyone says, I feel much more comfortable with the quality control in Japan than the USA with American workers. I don't care if the "rules" are the same in both plants, American factory workers are some of the laziest SOB's you will find. In Japan they take great pride in their work and strive for perfection in whatever they do.

I worked for Hitachi for two years in their American office as an accountant and I got to see first hand the Japanese work ethic and quality of said work. Shames most American accountants I've worked with. It was a great fit for me because I'm cut of the same cloth, 100% pride in what I do always striving for perfection. We all see what kind of garbage American car manufactures have produced out of the American auto factories for so many years. The kind of crap that was shoveled out to the American consumer would never have happened in Japan, the numerous safety defects, build quality issues, and poor materials quality just would not happen out of a Japanese factory. "Who cares if that alternator is defective, throw it in the car and let the consumer fix it later, we have a quota to meet!"

First year cars are usually not the best year to buy, but in the case of the 2009 Fit that is not true.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:13 PM
my mom had a 2004 Acura MDX. Is made in Canada I think. No problem at all and paint looked really good ( I remember reading that the car is dipped in the paint 11 times or something like that). I know what you're gonna say...Canada is not USA, but they speak the same language. Isn't the current gen Accord built in Indianapolis? Everything seems ok so far.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:18 PM
This reminds me of a South Park episode: "Dey took er jobs"!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtunofun
Canada is not USA, but they speak the same language.
But we live in igloos and use dog sleds for most of the year. Our beer is different. We like cheese and we say, "eh" a lot. We are part of the British Commonwealth and our national law enforcement agency chase bad guys on horseback.

YouTube - I Am Canadian

Old 10-24-2009, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
built in the US won't be a problem, unless you really think US workers aren't capable of tightening bolts properly.

everything should be fine so long as they don't outsource any actual *design* to the US ('01 Civic Coupe). good god.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mugen666
But we live in igloos and use dog sleds for most of the year. Our beer is different. We like cheese and we say, "eh" a lot. We are part of the British Commonwealth and our national law enforcement agency chase bad guys on horseback.

YouTube - I Am Canadian
Eh?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
Wow, first Honda neuters the 2010 Fit by eliminating the Navigation/manual transmission combo. As rare as it may be customers at least had the option of getting one on the 09. Heck I wouldn't have bought a Fit if I couldn't get that combo. Now they want to build the Fit in the USA? Sorry, I don't care what anyone says, I feel much more comfortable with the quality control in Japan than the USA with American workers. I don't care if the "rules" are the same in both plants, American factory workers are some of the laziest SOB's you will find. In Japan they take great pride in their work and strive for perfection in whatever they do.

I worked for Hitachi for two years in their American office as an accountant and I got to see first hand the Japanese work ethic and quality of said work. Shames most American accountants I've worked with. It was a great fit for me because I'm cut of the same cloth, 100% pride in what I do always striving for perfection. We all see what kind of garbage American car manufactures have produced out of the American auto factories for so many years. The kind of crap that was shoveled out to the American consumer would never have happened in Japan, the numerous safety defects, build quality issues, and poor materials quality just would not happen out of a Japanese factory. "Who cares if that alternator is defective, throw it in the car and let the consumer fix it later, we have a quota to meet!"
While I agree with everything you say. I have worked in most auto brands plants in the US, Canada and Mexico. I have full confidence that a US Fit plant would pump out premium quality automobiles. I love Honda plants because the workers appear to have pride and care with their work. Not to mention they are usually the cleanest plants to be in from my experience. I was impressed by what I saw when I had to work in Honda plants.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks. Guess we can start calling the Fit a domestic car rather than an import.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
That sucks. Guess we can start calling the Fit a domestic car rather than an import.
Do you call 80% of the Hondas you see on the road domestics???

Old 10-24-2009, 08:10 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
While I agree with everything you say. I have worked in most auto brands plants in the US, Canada and Mexico. I have full confidence that a US Fit plant would pump out premium quality automobiles. I love Honda plants because the workers appear to have pride and care with their work. Not to mention they are usually the cleanest plants to be in from my experience. I was impressed by what I saw when I had to work in Honda plants.
I sure hope you're right. Go take a look at Edmunds user reviews for the 2009 Accord. So many complaints about build quality issues (Accord is made in America). Now look at the 2009 Fit reviews (I have two of them up there) and you will not see a single complaint about build quality or reliability issues, only stuff they wish they could get on a Fit (sunroof, rear disc brakes, outside temperature display, leather seats etc.).

While I'm sure American Honda auto plants are run much better than the domestics, I can't believe they are as efficient and well run as the Honda Japan plants. And like I said, it all comes back to pride and the striving for perfection in everything the Japanese do. That level of pride and perfection in one's work rarely exists in America, not just in auto plants but in any job. Most people go to work, do what they need to to get by, and go home at 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM. The Japanese Accountants I worked with would not go home until the job was done, and I was right there with them. Sometimes during month-end close we would be there until 1:00 AM or later, back into work the next day at 8:30 AM ready to go.

Finally, my last comment on this discussion, is from a business perspective I completely understand why Honda is strongly considering this move. Makes sense, and if I were an employee in their finance department I would advise the same. Still, I'm very happy my Fit was 100% manufactured in Japan.

I wish future American manufactured Fit owners the best of luck!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
I sure hope you're right. Go take a look at Edmunds user reviews for the 2009 Accord. So many complaints about build quality issues (Accord is made in America). Now look at the 2009 Fit reviews (I have two of them up there) and you will not see a single complaint about build quality or reliability issues, only stuff they wish they could get on a Fit (sunroof, rear disc brakes, outside temperature display, leather seats etc.).

While I'm sure American Honda auto plants are run much better than the domestics, I can't believe they are as efficient and well run as the Honda Japan plants. And like I said, it all comes back to pride and the striving for perfection in everything the Japanese do. That level of pride and perfection in one's work rarely exists in America, not just in auto plants but in any job. Most people go to work, do what they need to to get by, and go home at 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM. The Japanese Accountants I worked with would not go home until the job was done, and I was right there with them. Sometimes during month-end close we would be there until 1:00 AM or later, back into work the next day at 8:30 AM ready to go.

Finally, my last comment on this discussion, is from a business perspective I completely understand why Honda is strongly considering this move. Makes sense, and if I were an employee in their finance department I would advise the same. Still, I'm very happy my Fit was 100% manufactured in Japan.

I know where you are coming from. Perfection and pride in work is the main quality I admire of the Japanese. I try to reflect the same in my work.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by dgs
I sure hope you're right. Go take a look at Edmunds user reviews for the 2009 Accord. So many complaints about build quality issues (Accord is made in America).
But the Accord has been made in America since 1984 - it's not like you move production to the US and suddenly the Fit turns into a Chrysler! The Accord has an established track record of reliability. Maybe the 2009 MY has some sort of systemic issue, but has very little to do with the location of the factory.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
The Accord is the most solidly built car I've ever worked on. Except for the drain plug for the '09 V6 empties onto the right front lower control arm, I can't find a single fault with the car. Everything is easy to access and replace when the time comes. It's not the worker, it's the car. You could have a redneck from alabama and a small Japanese man screw parts onto the car, and as long as it passes inspection, who really cares where it came from?

Oh, and check it:

Acura TL – Marysville, Ohio
BMW X5 – Spartanburg, South Carolina
BMW Z4 – Spartanburg, South Carolina
Honda Accord – Marysville, Ohio
Honda Civic – East Liberty, Ohio
Honda Element – East Liberty, Ohio
Honda Odyssey – Lincoln, Alabama
Honda Pilot – Lincoln, Alabama
Mercedes-Benz M-Class – Vance, Alabama
Mercedes-Benz R-Class – Vance, Alabama
Mazda 6 – Flat Rock, Michigan
Mazda B-Series – Minneapolis, Minnesota
Mazda Tribute – Kansas City, Missouri
Hyundai Sonata – Montgomery, Alabama
Hyundai Santa Fe – Montgomery, Alabama
Infiniti QX56 – Canton, Mississippi
Isuzu Ascender – Moraine, Ohio and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Isuzu i-Series Pickup – Shreveport, Louisiana
Mitsubishi Eclipse – Normal, Illinois
Mitsubishi Endeavor – Normal, Illinois
Mitsubishi Galant – Normal, Illinois
Mitsubishi Raider – Warren, Michigan
Nissan Altima – Smyrna, Tennessee and Canton, Mississippi
Nissan Armada – Canton, Mississippi
Nissan Frontier – Smyrna, Tennessee
Nissan Maxima – Smyrna, Tennessee
Nissan Pathfinder – Smyrna, Tennessee
Nissan Quest – Canton, Mississippi
Nissan Titan – Canton, Mississippi
Nissan Xterra – Smyrna, Tennessee
Saab 9-7X – Moraine, Ohio
Subaru Baja – Lafayette, Indiana
Subaru B9 Tribeca – Lafayette, Indiana
Subaru Legacy – Lafayette, Indiana
Subaru Outback – Lafayette, Indiana
Toyota Avalon – Georgetown, Kentucky
Toyota Camry – Georgetown, Kentucky
Toyota Camry Solara – Georgetown, Kentucky
Toyota Corolla – Fremont, California
Toyota Sequoia – Princeton, Indiana
Toyota Sienna – Princeton, Indiana
Toyota Tundra – Princeton, Indiana
Toyota Tacoma – Fremont, California

Last edited by Red 05; 10-26-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dgs

do you realize how many more accord owners there are than fit owners? this is such broken logic.

'oh its worse because some disgruntled group of edmunds reviewers said so!'

puh-lease man.

Quick Reply: get your fits now! MADE IN USA??